Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MRC / Academy SB Sport 4wd Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 02:41 PM
Hog
Tech Rookie

Sparky - when I spoke to Nick at ERP in the UK he told me that they do not supply directly to the customer, but they distribute to those shops that do chose to stock the Academy cars - hence why I'm waiting for the new cars to reach D C Racing.

The new cars should have been shipped last Sunday, but there were delays at the factory and they should now be coming out early this week hopefully.

Shame about the delay, but I'd rather wait an extra week or 2 and have the kits right from the word go.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:49 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Hey guys, i am back and posting again. Will be out this weekend, maybe some racing ( cold up here! ) but happy to have internet.

The Pro looks great, wish it had a driveshaft oneway at least though but the price should be right even if you but it seperate.

As for the shimming of the diffs, make sure you do check them as they wear as the spacing can change. I found 2 shims front and rear initially worked great and then as they wore in I went to three front and rear.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

hey guys i was looking into getting this buggy. i was wondering if they make a wovin carbon fiber chassie. but if not i have a guy that will mill them i was just wondering if this would besome thing that would help the buggy?
Old 10-24-2004, 02:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes they do, I have not seen the need to use it on the SB, a much bigger improvement is a centre support post between the chassis and top decl, the holes are even already drilled for you, just acquire another rear battery post to fit.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

ok well now that i know they make some of this stuff could somebody tell me where i can get it?
Old 10-24-2004, 08:16 PM
Tech Addict

This car is awesome. This weekend was my first chance to race the SB, in the Missouri indoor off road dirt championship race. I am however VERY worried about parts support. I had ordered wheels for the Sb for this race and asked to ship them priority and it was over a week ago (this was from Altech Marketing.) They said they had one pair they could send but they were backordered. I will have to call them I guess...for the FOURTH time....about the SAME order. So anyway, I show up to the race with my SB sporting it's stock fronts and big shot rears....for a track where the tires of choice are SLICKS all 'round (did you ever think a track could have TOO much traction?) Needless to say I had to try to tune the car around the tires. But it just worked. From the second I threw it on the track it was dialed. Managed to qual 6th and ended up 7th or 8th (I don't know, I didn't look at the final standing and awards were only for 1-6, and I didn't get one. But hey, for A1, a marshal fell on it on the first lap and broke a batt conn, CRUSHED the body, and turned the ESC switch off, and I still managed 9th in main. A2 was not much better as the marshall pulled the body off it in a big pileup a few laps in so had to pull over to get that fixed. A3 I managed a 6th place run through some more bad luck, but the car took it great. I did break a rear axel at the roll pin, but I slapped the dog bones back in, and couldn't notice really any performance reduction. It got quite a bit of attention at this race too....both good and bad. Good=an Academy car made the show. Everyone wanted to know what the heck kind of car I was driving. Bad=a Team Associated driver also brought one, was one of his first outings with it and because of all the traction, rounded the front bevel gears, so he sold it. I expect to start seeing this car in some of the bigger races in the country.

Last edited by Boatdork; 10-24-2004 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:17 PM
Tech Legend

If he rounded the gears, he may have setup the diffs to have the least amount of play ( probably 1 or two shims ). Brand new that will happen. Best bet may be to run three from the get go and don't worry about it.

I think Tim is away right now, You should ask for him when you all MRC as he knows the most about the vehicle and will get you what you need. With the rollout of the Pro coming up, I hope to see academy getting more stuff produced. Good job on the finish however!
Old 10-24-2004, 10:33 PM
Tech Master

they have a pro coming out? do you know when?
Old 10-25-2004, 08:04 PM
me8
Tech Initiate

1. yes
2. I dont know
Old 10-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Tech Legend

We may see something Mid november in the USA.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

ok now heres the next question. where can i get one? cuz im having trouble finding them!
Old 11-01-2004, 04:55 PM
Tech Legend

Got word that MRC has the Pro for $250, so ultimate if they keep with how they sell the sport may have it for $200 .

Also, the Kose mount looks great, someone ordered it and loves it, may have to get it.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:12 PM
Tech Master

do you know what the upgrades on it are?
Old 11-02-2004, 07:41 AM
Tech Legend

There is a link about the Pro on radiocontrolzone. Also, I think some info on this thread about the hopups as well. If you don't find it let me know and I will post. Basically graphite chassis, aluminum and carbon upgrades as well as teflon shocks.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:51 AM
Tech Adept

This is actually a fully optioned SB Sport that I had built. It will pretty much look like this (less electronics) except for the aluminum suspension arm mounts and the center one way. Otherwise, it will have all of the carbon stuff (chassis, upper deck, front plate, drive shaft, battery strap), the CNC motor mount, aluminum/teflon shocks, full bearings, turnbuckles, universals, and the slipper clutch included. Other options can be had, like the aluminum suspensioon arm mounts, the center one way, a way one differential, sway bars.
As far as the concern on where to get parts. We jsut got parts in stock again and are shipping the b/o's today. Parts can be gotten direct from us, however, I would prefer you tried your local hobby shop first. A hobby shop will be more apt to carry a product line if they have people coming in and asking for it. I'm sure Cain will attest to this, because he did it and his local shop where he used to live started carrying the product. Of course if he is unwilling, then come direct to us. If we have the parts in stock, then we usually ship the same day. And of course, I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone may have. My email address in [email protected]http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/...ad.php?t=180922

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.