Wiki Posts
Search

MRC / Academy SB Sport 4wd Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Tech Regular

Hey MOJOE300

OK(Wheels)...

But I wish my local hobby shop could get this stuff... MRC doesn't seem to want to sell this to the local hobby shops. Ultimate got it through a back door from what I've heard, but I can't confirm this.

Thanks!!!

Brad Gotori
[email protected]
Old 05-23-2004, 12:24 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Actually I got the info that Ultimate had the kits from MRC themselves. MRC wants to sell it direct, they make money off of it probably compared to what they get when they sell to the hobby stores ( not sure how all that works, but I figure they get more money direct ).

My new LHS is going to tell me what there supplier says about getting some parts as I am looking to get another set of wheels, universals, and a spare for most of the standard parts ( arms, hubs, etc ).
Old 05-23-2004, 02:29 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Cain

Oh... Well you got it from the horses mouth. Yea I was down at SoCal(Track), and some of those guys were telling me Ultimate always goes through the back door...hahaha

I think MRC is going to blow this, if you get all the hobby shops involved, you get greater volume then selling one at a time on the Web... Besides if my local hobby shops don't have part I won't buy this thing, no matter how Great it is...

Great Racing!!!

Brad Gotori
[email protected]
Old 05-23-2004, 02:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Cain, you do have to drill vent holes in the wheels. No biggie. I am dying to run this sucker. I am sending the body out tomorrow to have it painted. Im sending it to Jim Myers from J-concepts. This guy can flat out paint! I ran out and bought R/C car magazine. I read their article about the car. They said they "punished the SB-Sport, and nothing broke". Fastboy says the same, it looks like we have a durable car here.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Oh and Cain the wheels feel pretty durable and stiff. The reinforcing ribs inside do a good job of keeping them pretty stiff. I really like the layout of the car. Im wondering about a slipper clutch. If you read this Fastboy, is there a slipper clutch for the car? They also give you 4 spur gears to choose from. You get a 62,65,67, and a 70. I also like the clip on motor heatsink. Im going to make a rear sway bar for the car. Cain you didnt get yours yet huh? When did you order it?
Old 05-23-2004, 03:54 PM
Tech Legend

I ordered it on wednesday, so I figure 1 week trip time from Cali. I will have a lot of stuff coming in this week, so it should be fun for RC
Old 05-23-2004, 03:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Mine will be here tomorrow.....

So what is it that we know right now??

B3 ti buckles will work? (What size rod ends to get?)

Needs bearings for the wheels/stub axles? (What sizes and how many?)

Shocks? If you want to go to Aluminum shocks, What size shocks to get. I like Losi, but am willing to use AE?

Wheels? Stick with Academy originals....

Are the turnbuckles that come with at adjustable at all? Or they just dont have the hex/square fitting to adjust them quickly at the track?

Thanks for the help and answers guys, I'm looking to get this thing racing this weekend. I like Losi but there has to be competition for them somewhere....

Shawn
Old 05-23-2004, 04:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Woody, stick with the kit rod ends, they fit the b3 turnbuckles well. They also fit the ball studs academy makes, I didnt try to see if associated or losi fit yet. I am running associated shocks straight off my factory team B3. I think Losi's in the right size will work. The turnbuckles that come with the car have no hex to adjust them at all. Yes you need bearings for the front and rear hubs. A total of 8 more bearings. The sizes are as follows:
4 total- 10x15x4
4 total- 5x10x4
Thats for the hubs. You also need 4 bearings for the inside of the diffs, im not sure of that size I just had them. You also need 4 more bearings for the steering. Good luck with the car..Joe
Old 05-23-2004, 06:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Re: bearings.

NM, I hope to be building it tomorrow night.... I'll be checking on here periodically if anyone has any questions......

Shawn
Old 05-23-2004, 06:45 PM
Tech Legend

I got reports that B4 shocks and Losi shocks will work, not sure what vehicle the losi's are off of , I am assuming there newer XXX buggy.

As for ball bearings for the steering, I believe I posted the sizes on this thread, check and see, if it is not here post and I will post the size again. I know that RC Boyz carries all the bearings that I have bought so far, only bearing I haven't bought is the diff bearings as I don't know the size.

Wish I didn't have to wait as long as you, I have lots of building to do this week. I have to get my TC3 back together, and I have a Stampede coming in with a whole bunch of stuff ( just look here : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1 That I have to go through and see what I want to sell and what to keep as I mainly got this for my nephew.

Anyone having luck ordering any spare parts?
Old 05-23-2004, 11:56 PM
Tech Regular

there is a slipper from the str4 pro(the tourer version) BUT you will lose the support of the 3rd bearing in the motormount area...it means your pushing the spur gear away from the pinion because of no support behind it,which in turn means your also puhing the crown and pinion apart in the rear gearbox..not a good thing.i havent tried it so cannot comment on its durability and effect it will have on the gears,we race on grass and astr tracks over here so grip isnt a problem and hence slippers not used much.
i do know that academy are working on a new slipper system,more news when i find out when

dave
Old 05-24-2004, 04:11 AM
Tech Legend

Thats great to hear dave. Do you happen to know or can find out the size of the bearings that will be needed to replace the bushings in side the diffs?

From what I understand, the TC3-O guys run without a slipper and haven't had any gear problems, so assuming the same durability on the Academy ( should have reports by now contrary to this ) the slipper will be useful for tuning.

Dave: What all is needed to run the oneway? I got the parts listing that MRC sent me, and it shows a one-way drive cut and a oneway shaft, are both needed?
Old 05-24-2004, 04:34 AM
Tech Regular

yes you need the one way bearing cup and the one way front shaft..it doesnt have a flat on it for a grub screw to grip onto

st-t10 one way joint cup
st-t55 one way front shaft

sorry still cant find my micrometer..i think someones borrowed it and not given it back...

dave
Old 05-24-2004, 05:10 AM
Tech Legend

here is something I found that may kind of relate to the 3rd bearing vs slipper in the Academy SB Sport. This is info from the guy running a Brushless 1/8 scale buggy:

. . . that is the worst case in Shaft driven racing, when the load comes back (landing after a jump) to the Motor Shaft, then the Motor is greatly overloaded, in the industry this problem is solved by A: a bigger shaft (not available to us) or B: a 3rd bearing construction, we do often used it in our Constructions
To me it sounds like for protection purposes, the 3rd bearing should do the job?

Any of you guys in Europe running the Buggy with the one way, if so how well it is working out?
Old 05-24-2004, 05:27 AM
Tech Regular

im now running the 1 way on the layshaft in mine with no problems

dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.