Hey guys here is my quick race report:
I did the mod that Rickster on the www.rc10b4.com
site recommended for the motor cam. my dremel sure sucks but what can you expect for $10 ?
I managed to do something that barely resembles a waffle pattern and the cuts weren't deep so the track would tell if the motor mount falling out would be cured.
I changed pistons in the rear to #1 . the suspension action felt better.
I did about 2 battery packs of practicing. some hard jumps taken and some serious nose in the dirt action. I figured what the hell and gave it a hard drive. I decided to go up in spring rates all around so I was using greens in the rear and silvers up front. That really made a difference in the jumping department as the vehicle just flat out launches off the jumps. The vehicle felt good enough to race.
Conditions: Night racing, very loose, especially after the 1/8 scales run.
Opposition: 3-4 XXX-4s, 1-XX4, 1 B4 buggy. ( may have been another 2wd buggy, not sure ). Brushless to mod motor systems.
got a great holeshot after starting in last position making sure to not get involved in the pileup on the table top. shot in second place. Managed to battle up to first and drove consistent. The vehicle felt pretty good but could be alittle more planted in the rear. But suspension action was great, good balance between track handling and big jump handling. I was going good then all of a sudden it just stopped. I managed to pop my negative wire off the motor.
The connection just wasn't that good so I spent a good while in the pits working on getting it soldered down correctly.
Second Heat: As I have cheapo packs, I ran my Sanyo 3000HVs in the first race. Next race I ran my second best GP3300 ( 1.15+
) and the power was noticeably different. The vehicle was so punchy that I wasn't able to be as consistent as before ( mental note: buy all GP packs! ). I ended up coming down funny off a jump and the vehicle wouldn't turn. I took it off expecting the worse. something was binding up and after looking hard and long ( diffs, etc ) I found that the pin in the UJ axle had backed out alittle. put it back in and the vehicle was brought back to life.
I really wish I had some step-pins for the rear right now. Racing at night the conditions after 1/8 scale gets a hold of the track warrant it. I think that would solve some of my traction issues in the rear.
I went ahead and loaded in my best GP3300 ( another 1.15+
) and as I was repeaking it I realized that I forgot to put it to charge. so I did a fast 6.5 Amp charge ( not recommended ) to get it up as much as possible before the race and I think I only got about 2400mah into the pack.
I went out and magically had qualified last, no suprise here! In a way i was glad as it would put in me in the back and have a chance to work on fighting to the front and avoid the first turn pileup.
I managed to get flipped over in a crash after the first turn before the massive up and over jump ( not sure how to describe it really ). I was pushing the vehicle a bit hard so tumbling was part of the race for me but it kept coming back for more.
About 2 minutes in I managed to get into second place with the pack close behind. 1st place was really out there as usual but everyone was competitive. As the last lap was being made my vehicle decided that it was time to dump, and I died right on the weird non-name jump and ended up completed stopped about 10-15feet from the finish line. So I ended up taking 4th which would have been 2nd if I didn't dump.
in summary, no broken parts again! vehicle handled pretty well and I plan to work on it some more to get alittle more rear bite, especially side bite. I think that the front oneway will help though in two sections were you would be better off if you could turn sharp off power like a 2wd. The motor cam mod does work. The motor did not move at all once I had it installed properly.