Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 03:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Slipper

Which slipper have you ordered?
Old 06-03-2004, 05:32 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

You are having pretty good luck getting in touch with Tim. I will see if I can give him a call today and see if he can email me a complete part and price list. See if my LHS can get it direct from them.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:34 AM
Tech Legend

Just thought about this, do any of you guys know the spring rates for the kit springs in lbs? I am trying to compare what they are to say AE springs to see what I need to pickup for tuning. I may just keep running the stock shocks and go with some AE springs and RPM cups as they fit well.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:08 PM
Tech Legend

I got the most recent parts list with prices they have in stock. Its in PDF format so if you want it let me know and I will send it to you. Prices don't look bad, common broken parts retail for similar prices as the competition, only things that look a bit high are the carbon deck parts, but probably can get them for less if you go with say ultimate hobbies and get them to get them for you.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Cain, just the overall feel. My XX is dialed in and runs so Sweet. It will take a bit of tuning to get the SB to that level.

AcademyUK, I'm getting the Slipper that goes in the STR-4 touring car. Tim says it's a direct fit and is intended to be used in the SB. Supposed to be here tomorrow. I'll get it in ASAP and let you guys know what I think.

I hope the one way gives it more of a XX4 feel on the track. After those 2 things and some shocks I ordered it should be sweet.

I know I'll catch flack for this one, but I ordered Duratrax aluminum shocks. They are almost the exact design as Losi and a bit cheaper, as well as tunable. Losi and Duratrax are similar in designs for alot of their equip.

Shawn
Old 06-03-2004, 06:35 PM
Tech Addict

I think that the Duratrax shocks were a darn good idea. I think that may be what I put on mine....when it get's here. Did you order the bx fronts and evader st rears?
Old 06-04-2004, 03:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Exactly, figured the length and travel and those matched up the best.

Shawn
Old 06-04-2004, 05:39 AM
Tech Legend

Definitely let us know how well the shocks work out for you? one thing however make sure that you check that the shaft moves freely as I heard that sometimes there can be burrs in the body that binds up the shaft. Also, if you have any AE springs to test, let us know how they fit.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:16 PM
Tech Legend

Ok Got some running news.

I ran today at my new LHS, its a very tight track, more or less an oval with jumps till they move to a new location, basically a micro track.

The vehicle handling really well in kit form with the changed oil selection, I probably would go to heavier oil all around ( 35W rear, 40W front ). It took a good amount of crashes during practice that would have snapped a good amount of parts on a XXX-4 and even a T4.

I managed however to break it during the first race. I am actually suprised I didn't do more damage as since the walls are solid concrete, I hit the jump at FULL THROTTLE with a Reedy 19T Quad Mag since I managed to catch a glitch that caused me to loose control of the vehicle. I hit the wall full speed, then it flopped around and then went full speed into the other wall. It was at full throttle till we managed to turn it off.

I managed to break the front arm at the joint with the inner hinge pin, 1 side only and bend the hingepin. I also bent a rear shock shaft.

In all honestly, If this had been another other 4wd vehicle or even 2wd, I wouldn't have been suprised to have a bag full of broken parts right now. ( another guy snapped his T4 in half earlier ). As a side note, the motor didn't move forward at all!

I managed to order more parts earlier, so I am going to see about getting replacement titanium pins for the stock ones. also, I will see what the shaft for the kit shocks is, or I will just go with B4 shocks.

One thing of note, I saw a sort of spacer in the motor mount clamp down, I took this out and I could crank it down alot more than before.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Yeah, Cain I took out the washer on the motor mount first thing. the B4 shocks are too small to use in Duratrax shocks. I'll should run it tomorrow. The oneway is in, the Slipper doesn't fit in the car. I'll elaborate when I talk to Tim, Monday.

More details on shocks and such then also.

Shawn
Old 06-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Tech Legend

woody, didn't follow you, are you saying B4 shocks won't work on the car? from what I was told you have to use the mounting hardware made for the B4 to get them to work.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Tech Legend

Originally I got word that the slipper wasn't made for this car. I think I posted something about that earlier.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Hi to all!

Just found out about this big discussion going on here.

I got my SB-Sport last monday together with the machined motor excenter, some BBs and R/L threads

So far, I'm very happy with the car - seems to me like the most durable 1/10th Buggy yet built (as stated before, a kind of "de-scaled" 1/8th)
However, there are some minor things I had to work with (e.g. steering link ball cups binding with caster blocks, spur gear screws catching motor & layshaft mount)
I did some minor changes to the battery tray; using stickpacks, the front post ist too low, so i shimmed it and glued some 3mm foam to the battery strap - fits much nicer now.

Building progress is at a rest right now, because I don't want to use the stock ball diffs but throw in a pair of RT-4GP bevel-gear diffs with zinc and steel gears

going brushless - with these, the car seems to be built for that purpose

The slipper you are talking about ist made for the STR-4 Rally that doesnt use the layshaft bearing - i think it won't be a good idea to drop this one in a well powered buggy.
There are rumors, that academy is going to release one for the SB in the near future.

However, there's a nice page of a japanese firm:
www.kose-rc.com

they're making some wonderful hopups, besides a double padded Slipper to use with the layshaft bearing

http://www.kose-rc.com/sb_tuning/sb_...ist[1].htm

greetings from Austria

Last edited by re-inferno; 06-06-2004 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:39 AM
Tech Legend

Wow! That motor mount looks like what WE need! It reminds me of the mount on the BMI TC3.

You know or anyone else know of a place to mail order Kose parts in the US? I will definitely want that mount!

I will post that info on some other boards. Definitely that battery foam spacing on the battery strap is a must on these kits.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Dave or anyone that knows.......

I purchased the slipper clutch for the STR-4, (Tim was in a meeting) Carol told me the right one was RG-T001. Can any of you confirm or deny this. To make it short, it is just that, too short, and if it were longer then the drive shaft would be too long.

Planning on calling Tim (MRC) tomorrow, but just wanted to know if any of you know something about this part.

Nevermind, Just reread Dave's post a couple of pages ago about losing support of the third bearing. I understand now.....

Shawn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.