Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Cougar sv pro, ft b4, or Rb5 sp2 >

Cougar sv pro, ft b4, or Rb5 sp2

Cougar sv pro, ft b4, or Rb5 sp2

Old 06-18-2010, 01:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by scottgir
I'd look at history a little

Schumacher and Kyosho are both great cars but the B4 wins and has been winning for a LONG TIME.

IFMAR Worlds 03,05,07 and 09 champ is the B4. Schumacher has never had a 2wd win and Kyosho had the Ultima win in 87. That's it. An Associated RC10 has won 10 of the 13 2wd world championships. Hard to argue with that pedigree.

I've always raced a Losi, but AE would be my choice if I were buying a new one today.

Plus you add parts support and price.
I would agree with you. The Ultima that won in 1987 barely had any Kyosho parts left on it anyway. It had a custom graphite chassis and a special gearbox built by Eustice Moore of MIP fame. The gearbox they used on it was the basis for what eventually became the Associated Stealth transmission.

When the Losi cars hit the scene they stole many big wins from the RC10s, but ever since the Losi family sold the company it seems as if all development of racing stuff basically stopped.

However, I have heard that Gil Losi Jr has been working with Kyosho these days. So that would be a reason to look at the Ultima RB5, as long as you can get parts.

I would say that historically the Schumacher cars have always been really rare in this country. Even Yokomo cars are more popular, and they aren't exactly popular. I would think parts would be hard to get.

Finally, I think the Losi XXX is still a really competitive package, however ever since the Losi company was sold it seems like the magic has been gone. I used to run Losi as well, but probably would not buy one again.

However if you look at the Ultima RB5 you will noticed it has inboard hub mounted bearings for the front wheels. That was always a signature of the Losi cars and I have to think that Gil Losi Jr had a hand in integrating that into the design.

Last edited by FrostyDude; 06-18-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

From what I remember from the AKA tire co. inteviews and interviews with Jared Tebo that have been posted on the various rc news sites.. Losi Jr was brought over strictly for AKA tires.. kanai and others where/are the designers of the K cars..
Old 06-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by t8rtot
From what I remember from the AKA tire co. inteviews and interviews with Jared Tebo that have been posted on the various rc news sites.. Losi Jr was brought over strictly for AKA tires.. kanai and others where/are the designers of the K cars..
Well that might be true, and it could be that Gil had no part in designing the Ultima RB5 chassis. However, the inboard hub mounted bearings for the front wheels are a signature of the Losi cars.

Last edited by FrostyDude; 06-18-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by FrostyDude
Well that might be true, and it could be that Gil had no part in designing the Ultima RB2 chassis. However, the inboard hub mounted bearings for the front wheels are a signature of the Losi cars.
RB5 damnit... RB5
Old 06-18-2010, 10:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by leongkc
RB5 damnit... RB5
Yeah yeah, I know. I don't know why I keep saying RB2 instead.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by FrostyDude
Yeah yeah, I know. I don't know why I keep saying RB2 instead.
It is because they added the SP2 to the end of RB5 and I end up getting the two confused.