Search

Rally car candidates?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 12:08 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ride1226
Those are sweet. Never owned a KYOSHO though and 8th scale would require me using one of my MMM combos and would just generally be alot more expensive. Especially since Id have to buy a rtr basically to just strip out the engine and everything. Sweet rigs though.
The one reracer posted is the one I want. Parts availability near me is pretty good. Here's some useful facts about the Kyosho DRX (1/8-1/9-scale) rally car that might help your decision (and maybe sway you toward it):

- Kyosho classifies it as 1/9, but it's 1/8 size
- It's lightweight (about 5lbs), so can run on 1/10 electronics (I run a 1/8 DBX8e with a 1/10 ESC and a 36x50mm 3300kV Medusa motor on 3s...damn fast and runs cool)
- Shares a lot of parts with the Kyosho DBX line of vehicles (so parts availability might not be that bad for you)
- Handles like a buggy since it's built off a buggy platform and can be tuned like a buggy since it has 3 diffs
- Pretty easy to convert to electric using DBX VE parts

If you see the DRX in person and compare it to the 1/10 scale scoobie, it looks SOOOOO much better!
Old 06-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

It def looks awesome. I have not had a KYOSHO in ages though, how are they? Itd be nice if I didnt have to buy it in gas first just to scrap all that stuff. Anyone got a roller? Or can you buy it without a engine? Ill check at the LHS today when I head down there and see what they say about parts. Its a HobbyTown USA so they may just have the parts, not really sure.

Thats pretty cool that its not that heavy, would make it a bit cheaper to set up thats for sure.

More info on that option is cool thanks!
Old 06-08-2010, 01:19 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

My Hobbytown USA carries Kyosho, but each Hobbytown is independently owned so it's somewhat up to the owner what they carry.
The kit version is only available in Japan. In the US, only the RTR is available. My converted DBX8e (a DBX nitro that converted to electric and then extended to 1/8 scale) weighs between 5.2-5.5lbs depending on the size of the battery pack I run. Right now, I converted it to a SCT. The DRX uses most of the same parts with shorter arms and is similar size to my extended DBX8e (DRX is slightly shorter wheelbase), so it should weigh right around the same.
The DBX line, and some Kyosho's recent stuff, is quite nice and the best part is parts are very cheap (contrast to parts cost for their higher end stuff like MP9, ST-RR, etc.).
Old 06-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Im gonna cruise down to the LHS and see what kinda ideas me and their crew come up with. That does seem like it would be a great platform, metal chassis would help with durability, plus nitro ready diffs to handle brushless power. How do you like the platform itself?
Old 06-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Tech Master

After talking at the lhs today I am leaning towards the df03 ra. They don't carry kyosho parts and apparently it's tough for them to even get them because they have to order alot of parts in order for kyosho to send an order. I think the df03 ra would be fun with a mild brushless setup. Couple guys on rccrawler have some nice ones and are enjoying them.