Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
4WD 1/10 electric buggy >

4WD 1/10 electric buggy

4WD 1/10 electric buggy

Old 09-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Tech Regular

Default 4WD 1/10 electric buggy

Looking into racing indoors for my first season with an electric 1/10 4WD buggy kit.

Any suggestions? Not concerned at all with parts support, just looking for the best performing and durable kit I can buy to last me for the season without spending a ton on upgrades etc. to make it last and perform.

The Xray and Caster racing kits look good; but curious about the plastic gears in the Xray drive train and how reliable that is?

Suggestions would be awesome. The season starts around the end of October here and would want to grab a kit in the next couple weeks to have the time to build it.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (98%+)

4wd buggy is a pretty intense class, if your track even races it. If you are very new to racing, 2wd buggy or short course may be a better place to start. A 4wd buggy can turn in to a bag of broken parts very quickly.

However, if you are set on it, try to find the Durango dex410 v3. There are two trim levels available and either will work for you without breaking the bank. Good luck!
Old 09-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ruger357
4wd buggy is a pretty intense class, if your track even races it. If you are very new to racing, 2wd buggy or short course may be a better place to start. A 4wd buggy can turn in to a bag of broken parts very quickly.

However, if you are set on it, try to find the Durango dex410 v3. There are two trim levels available and either will work for you without breaking the bank. Good luck!
Thanks man!

I'm not new to racing (experienced with nitro touring cars and 1/8 offroad nitro), but new to 4WD 1/10 kits. There is a good number of guys running 4WD electrics around here so it's definitely a good class to run.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by codeman
Looking into racing indoors for my first season with an electric 1/10 4WD buggy kit.

Any suggestions? Not concerned at all with parts support, just looking for the best performing and durable kit I can buy to last me for the season without spending a ton on upgrades etc. to make it last and perform.

The Xray and Caster racing kits look good; but curious about the plastic gears in the Xray drive train and how reliable that is?

Suggestions would be awesome. The season starts around the end of October here and would want to grab a kit in the next couple weeks to have the time to build it.
Xray had some issues when the car was first released, but their 'v2' upgrade kits took care of the weak spots. I haven't seen any consistent issues with any of the local xray cars.

Having said that, the Caster is just about bomb proof. It comes with a pile of aluminum parts that are optional for most buggies. You can skim through the s10b thread and count how few arms people break and watch some of the videos of cars cartwheeling down the straight and continue on like nothing happened.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

if you are willing to wait, both tlr and hot bodies are bringing out 4wd buggies too. worth checking out.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Tech Regular

Kyosho is also coming out with a new kit I'm seeing as well. Can't find anything concrete on release dates though.

I had ordered a Castor racing kit last week but there was a problem with my order and customs holding it apparently through Amain -- but now that the order was refunded I'm wanting to read/get more opinions as I rushed to order it wanting something to build and it looked like the most solid design from the pics. However, from what I understand the newer kits coming out and switching up the battery configuration from the packs to a lipo shorty config? Worth waiting for before investing in a bunch of electric stuff?