R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #31
Tech Master

Send a message via Skype™ to ShortCourseOnly

OK so for 4x4 SCT it would be better to get the RX8 then so that you can manage the temps. Is the RX8 overkill for the SC4X on 2S?
Associated SC10 4x4/Havoc Pro SC/Ballistic 550 4.5t
Traxxas Rally Custom Edge/Ballistic 540 10.5t
ShortCourseOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #32
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krio View Post
Time for some more 4wd SCT's to show up so we can bomb their transmissions running 3 or 4s with these bad boys.
Are we going to see you in the 4x4 SCT class soon then Krio?
Old 06-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #33
Tech Master

Quote:
It can supply the amperage, but not sustained. The heat build-up would put you thermalling before your race ended. Heat sinks go a LONG way when determing the "constant" current compared to the "rating per phase" current. The RX8 actually has fewer fets than the RSpro, but it bleeds the heat created away much more efficiently since all the fets are on the top and in contact with the heat sink at the expense of the overall size of the unit.
The ultimate setup would be an optional aluminum lower case for the RSpro along with some thermal double sided tape to heat sink the ESC to the aluminum chassis. You'd never get your esc 10 degrees over ambient.
This actually explains a lot. So the heat sink on the RS family is on the lower part of the case. I thought the solder posts were providing heat disipation. Sounds like an opportunity to improve an already good design.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 150 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortCourseOnly View Post
OK so for 4x4 SCT it would be better to get the RX8 then so that you can manage the temps. Is the RX8 overkill for the SC4X on 2S?
The rx8 is overkill, but it would be as worry free as it gets! If you don't mind losing sensored only to play with boost (which really isn't necessary) and a bump up in size the rx8 and sc4x would be hard pressed to overheat even if driven in hell. (Hell, Michigan that is.)

Quote:
Are we going to see you in the 4x4 SCT class soon then Krio?
I can't bring myself to run any of the current 4wd's "knowing" new ones are right around the corner, so probably not anytime durring this summers outdoor series. I plan on getting a 4wd as soon as there are more options.

Quote:
This actually explains a lot. So the heat sink on the RS family is on the lower part of the case. I thought the solder posts were providing heat disipation. Sounds like an opportunity to improve an already good design.
Unlike most esc's, the fets are on the bottom of the case with the control board on top. Most heat sinks are transfering the heat to the air and that is what the posts do for the most part, but I purposely used a very thin layer of shoe goo to mount my RSpro in my (soon to be sold to make room for the future) B44 to maximize heat transfer to the chassis. There were experiments with aluminum lower cases when mod tc was all the rage and when the RSpro was being used in 8th scale buggies, but mod died and the RX8 came out.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #35
Tech Regular

I run the RS(not pro) in my slash with the HV4.5 on 2s, geared 13/54 and I was seeing 160-170 temps on the speed control with ambient temps in the 70's and low humidity. I added a fan and temps went down to the 100 degree range, even with 90+ temps and very humid. It's been a few months now with this set-up and a hundred cycles later all is still working great.........BB
Old 06-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #36
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Something sounds wrong there, it should free spin in sensored very easily. That sounded like it was trying to go for a couple of seconds with you holding it there and then it finally went. Not good. 107 is nothing for heat by the way. If it was 200, that would be a problem. And your servo (i think that's what I'm hearing) is also sitting there in a bind, which will stress the BEC and heat the ESC up quickly too. Try another servo.

The RSPro handles that application just fine, it sounds like that one is having trouble with the sensors on the motor and it is not starting cleanly and it sounded bad even after it was spinning in the low throttle.

I have been running a 4x4 Slash on an RSPro and our 7.5T redline 1/10 motor with a 13mm torque rotor with no issues the past 6 months. There is no reason the RSPro wouldn't handle the 550 motors.
Yea the RSP will not work with this motor, I tried two different ones. It runs fine on the MMP so I know it's not the sensor port or wire. I talked with Shawn about it at Speed Passion and he also said it should work fine. I have no idea what the issue is. And I tried another servo, I tested it in two trucks with two different servos.

I hear and read all the time about people using the RSP with the HV's with no problem (I was one of them). Could it be possible I have two bad RS Pros? One is already being sent back, but the other one I don't think is messed up I plan on using the Ballistic 550 with it.

And the temp hit 210 last weekend, that vid was just on my bench without the motor meshed, it got up to 130 then I shut it off.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 150 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaladFork View Post
And the temp hit 210 last weekend, that vid was just on my bench without the motor meshed, it got up to 130 then I shut it off.
How many leds were lighting up? Reading a glossy plastic item with a temp gun set for the emissivity of aluminum doesn't really do a whole lot.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Quote:
How many leds were lighting up? Reading a glossy plastic item with a temp gun set for the emissivity of aluminum doesn't really do a whole lot.
All the lights where on (used to only be 3-4 lights)... I was using the nitro node from my spektrum which I had on top not on the bottom of the ESC. I never broke out the heat gun, just un-soldered it and put it away.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #39
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

build a fan mount that holds the fan at a 45 degree angle down toward the wire posts. Dropped the temp down to one light from four with a 6.5 in a mod truck.
GasserX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #40
Tech Elite

The RX8 cost $30 less than the RS pro (amain).

And 4x4 SCT's have plenty of room under the hood. Why bother with the pro, unless you allready have one?
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:04 PM   #41
Team Tekin

Quote:
Yea the RSP will not work with this motor, I tried two different ones. It runs fine on the MMP so I know it's not the sensor port or wire. I talked with Shawn about it at Speed Passion and he also said it should work fine. I have no idea what the issue is. And I tried another servo, I tested it in two trucks with two different servos.

I hear and read all the time about people using the RSP with the HV's with no problem (I was one of them). Could it be possible I have two bad RS Pros? One is already being sent back, but the other one I don't think is messed up I plan on using the Ballistic 550 with it.

It should work just fine, there is no reason it wouldn't. It sounds like a sensor issue and it's not running smooth.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
It should work just fine, there is no reason it wouldn't. It sounds like a sensor issue and it's not running smooth.
This has been a problem with this version of the SP motor and the RSP, I have tested two RSP's and a few other guys who have tested a different motor (same version) had the same problem. The motor I have works on the MMP so I know it's not the motor. Thanks for the help Ty.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #43
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

anyway, since this thread is about the new motor:

will it have adjustable timing like the 1/10 redline motors?

what is the default timing (as in "zero degrees" on a novak ballistic is actually 30 degrees) ?

Orion - Futaba - Savox - RCAmerica
annonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:48 PM   #44
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Quote:
This has been a problem with this version of the SP motor and the RSP, I have tested two RSP's and a few other guys who have tested a different motor (same version) had the same problem. The motor I have works on the MMP so I know it's not the motor. Thanks for the help Ty.
Your motor is most likely wires incorretly. The humming followed up by the motor then running sound like us going into sensorless mode. Try this: Disconnect the sensor harness right off the bat, does it run smoothly then?

Also a motor that runs hot very quickly often has a short, something to consider.

Can we get back on topic now? So who wants the new SCx4? LOL

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #45
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDCrow Send a message via Skype™ to JDCrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post

Can we get back on topic now? So who wants the new SCx4? LOL
If its what you had in your Truck at AMS this weekend .....you know how to reach me!!!!

Great job
JDCrow is offline   Reply With Quote