R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-31-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Trouble binding Traxxas ESC

Need a little help
I picked up a real nice used Slash, and need to use one of my receivers that I use in all of my other cars. I use the JR 3100 sythensized receivers.
I run all nitro on-road, so excuse me, electric is new to me.
Anyway, I down loaded the ESC instructions from Traxxas, but dont know if I am missing a step or not.
I can get the ESC to turn on, and then when I start to bind the ESC through the steps outlined, it will not go any further than just turning on or off.
Will the stock ESC work with an FM sythensized reciever< thought it should>
and if so, am I just missing something.

Also, what shock oils would you recommend, as the stock shock oils seem to be very light.
I will be going to a lipo battery, and maybe brushless, but just to get started will keep it stock for a week or so.
thanks for the help
Old 05-31-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc358 View Post
Need a little help
I picked up a real nice used Slash, and need to use one of my receivers that I use in all of my other cars. I use the JR 3100 sythensized receivers.
I run all nitro on-road, so excuse me, electric is new to me.
Anyway, I down loaded the ESC instructions from Traxxas, but dont know if I am missing a step or not.
I can get the ESC to turn on, and then when I start to bind the ESC through the steps outlined, it will not go any further than just turning on or off.
Will the stock ESC work with an FM sythensized reciever< thought it should>
and if so, am I just missing something.
i use a fm remote with my esc that came with the slash really need to know what esc it is tho
Also, what shock oils would you recommend, as the stock shock oils seem to be very light.
I will be going to a lipo battery, and maybe brushless, but just to get started will keep it stock for a week or so.
thanks for the help
what esc is it a xl5 ??
newuserlosi8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)

youtube has a step by step esc programing video it would help to know what esc it is
newuserlosi8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Default Traxxas

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuserlosi8t View Post
youtube has a step by step esc programing video it would help to know what esc it is

Yes, it is the stock ESC, and stock motor
I will probably be going with a brushless and different speed control, but just to get started, I would like to get it running for a week or so.
I will check out You Tube.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I thought "binding" referred to linking a 2.4ghz receiver to a 2.4ghz transmitter or module, not setting up the ESC? If you have a regular FM setup, all you should have to do is go through the normal ESC setup procedures.
turbowop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Default Traxxas

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowop View Post
I thought "binding" referred to linking a 2.4ghz receiver to a 2.4ghz transmitter or module, not setting up the ESC? If you have a regular FM setup, all you should have to do is go through the normal ESC setup procedures.
Yes, your are correct. I should have said "set up ESC"
I tried you tube and could not find a set up for the esc. I did try the Taxxas set up sheet, and it will not complete. I then read where some of the FM receivers do have trouble when trying to work with the stock ESC.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:51 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Default Traxxas ESC

Well I finally got the stering servo to work, but still can not get throttle or brake.
I found a good Traxxas site that has a video, but I have tried it numerous times.
After the ESC is turned on<button held down> the light should turn red,then blink once. It will do this. But then it should blink twice before the brake is applied. This is where it is having the problem. It will blink once,throttle applied, but then it will not blink twice so I can move to the brake set up.
I have tried different receivers, tried the set-up numerous times, tried reversing the throttle/brake on the radio, but it will not go any further than the one red blink.
Anyone ever had this situation before?

thanks
Old 05-31-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Default Traxxas

Quote:
Well I finally got the stering servo to work, but still can not get throttle or brake.
I found a good Traxxas site that has a video, but I have tried it numerous times.
After the ESC is turned on<button held down> the light should turn red,then blink once. It will do this. But then it should blink twice before the brake is applied. This is where it is having the problem. It will blink once,throttle applied, but then it will not blink twice so I can move to the brake set up.
I have tried different receivers, tried the set-up numerous times, tried reversing the throttle/brake on the radio, but it will not go any further than the one red blink.
Anyone ever had this situation before?

thanks
Dont know if i mentioned it, but I am using the KO Helio radio
Old 06-01-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Default Traxxas ESC

I spoke to Traxxas this morning, and he determined that the speed control is not reading the signal from the radio.
I told him that I was using a JR radio and receiver, and he was not sure on the settings that the radio should be set at <epa>
Because I am not using the stock Traxxas radio and receiver, he could not be of much help.
Anyone else use a different brand radio and receiver for their Traxxas trucks, and if so, what settings did you have to set the radio on.
The spped control will come on, change to red, I release the button, and it should flash red, but it will not flash.
I have tried different epa settings, trim settings, everthing I could think of, but it is stopped a solid red light after it changes from green.

thanks
Old 06-01-2010, 08:52 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
I spoke to Traxxas this morning, and he determined that the speed control is not reading the signal from the radio.
I told him that I was using a JR radio and receiver, and he was not sure on the settings that the radio should be set at <epa>
Because I am not using the stock Traxxas radio and receiver, he could not be of much help.
Anyone else use a different brand radio and receiver for their Traxxas trucks, and if so, what settings did you have to set the radio on.
The spped control will come on, change to red, I release the button, and it should flash red, but it will not flash.
I have tried different epa settings, trim settings, everthing I could think of, but it is stopped a solid red light after it changes from green.

thanks
Set the brake EPA to 150
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote