R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Trouble binding Traxxas ESC (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/403905-trouble-binding-traxxas-esc.html)

brc358 05-31-2010 11:08 AM

Trouble binding Traxxas ESC

Need a little help
I picked up a real nice used Slash, and need to use one of my receivers that I use in all of my other cars. I use the JR 3100 sythensized receivers.
I run all nitro on-road, so excuse me, electric is new to me.
Anyway, I down loaded the ESC instructions from Traxxas, but dont know if I am missing a step or not.
I can get the ESC to turn on, and then when I start to bind the ESC through the steps outlined, it will not go any further than just turning on or off.
Will the stock ESC work with an FM sythensized reciever< thought it should>
and if so, am I just missing something.

Also, what shock oils would you recommend, as the stock shock oils seem to be very light.
I will be going to a lipo battery, and maybe brushless, but just to get started will keep it stock for a week or so.
thanks for the help

newuserlosi8t 05-31-2010 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by brc358 (Post 7479463)
Need a little help
I picked up a real nice used Slash, and need to use one of my receivers that I use in all of my other cars. I use the JR 3100 sythensized receivers.
I run all nitro on-road, so excuse me, electric is new to me.
Anyway, I down loaded the ESC instructions from Traxxas, but dont know if I am missing a step or not.
I can get the ESC to turn on, and then when I start to bind the ESC through the steps outlined, it will not go any further than just turning on or off.
Will the stock ESC work with an FM sythensized reciever< thought it should>
and if so, am I just missing something.
i use a fm remote with my esc that came with the slash really need to know what esc it is tho
Also, what shock oils would you recommend, as the stock shock oils seem to be very light.
I will be going to a lipo battery, and maybe brushless, but just to get started will keep it stock for a week or so.
thanks for the help

what esc is it a xl5 ??

newuserlosi8t 05-31-2010 12:17 PM

youtube has a step by step esc programing video it would help to know what esc it is

brc358 05-31-2010 12:21 PM

Traxxas

Originally Posted by newuserlosi8t (Post 7479691)
youtube has a step by step esc programing video it would help to know what esc it is

Yes, it is the stock ESC, and stock motor
I will probably be going with a brushless and different speed control, but just to get started, I would like to get it running for a week or so.
I will check out You Tube.

turbowop 05-31-2010 12:30 PM

I thought "binding" referred to linking a 2.4ghz receiver to a 2.4ghz transmitter or module, not setting up the ESC? If you have a regular FM setup, all you should have to do is go through the normal ESC setup procedures.

brc358 05-31-2010 12:56 PM

Traxxas

Originally Posted by turbowop (Post 7479736)
I thought "binding" referred to linking a 2.4ghz receiver to a 2.4ghz transmitter or module, not setting up the ESC? If you have a regular FM setup, all you should have to do is go through the normal ESC setup procedures.

Yes, your are correct. I should have said "set up ESC"
I tried you tube and could not find a set up for the esc. I did try the Taxxas set up sheet, and it will not complete. I then read where some of the FM receivers do have trouble when trying to work with the stock ESC.

brc358 05-31-2010 04:51 PM

Traxxas ESC

Well I finally got the stering servo to work, but still can not get throttle or brake.
I found a good Traxxas site that has a video, but I have tried it numerous times.
After the ESC is turned on<button held down> the light should turn red,then blink once. It will do this. But then it should blink twice before the brake is applied. This is where it is having the problem. It will blink once,throttle applied, but then it will not blink twice so I can move to the brake set up.
I have tried different receivers, tried the set-up numerous times, tried reversing the throttle/brake on the radio, but it will not go any further than the one red blink.
Anyone ever had this situation before?

thanks

brc358 05-31-2010 04:53 PM

Traxxas

Originally Posted by brc358 (Post 7480646)
Well I finally got the stering servo to work, but still can not get throttle or brake.
I found a good Traxxas site that has a video, but I have tried it numerous times.
After the ESC is turned on<button held down> the light should turn red,then blink once. It will do this. But then it should blink twice before the brake is applied. This is where it is having the problem. It will blink once,throttle applied, but then it will not blink twice so I can move to the brake set up.
I have tried different receivers, tried the set-up numerous times, tried reversing the throttle/brake on the radio, but it will not go any further than the one red blink.
Anyone ever had this situation before?

thanks

Dont know if i mentioned it, but I am using the KO Helio radio

brc358 06-01-2010 07:47 AM

Traxxas ESC

I spoke to Traxxas this morning, and he determined that the speed control is not reading the signal from the radio.
I told him that I was using a JR radio and receiver, and he was not sure on the settings that the radio should be set at <epa>
Because I am not using the stock Traxxas radio and receiver, he could not be of much help.
Anyone else use a different brand radio and receiver for their Traxxas trucks, and if so, what settings did you have to set the radio on.
The spped control will come on, change to red, I release the button, and it should flash red, but it will not flash.
I have tried different epa settings, trim settings, everthing I could think of, but it is stopped a solid red light after it changes from green.

thanks

Team Kamikaze 06-01-2010 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by brc358 (Post 7483281)
I spoke to Traxxas this morning, and he determined that the speed control is not reading the signal from the radio.
I told him that I was using a JR radio and receiver, and he was not sure on the settings that the radio should be set at <epa>
Because I am not using the stock Traxxas radio and receiver, he could not be of much help.
Anyone else use a different brand radio and receiver for their Traxxas trucks, and if so, what settings did you have to set the radio on.
The spped control will come on, change to red, I release the button, and it should flash red, but it will not flash.
I have tried different epa settings, trim settings, everthing I could think of, but it is stopped a solid red light after it changes from green.

thanks

Set the brake EPA to 150