R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-31-2010, 06:58 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Questions?? What would be the best 1/8 brushless system

Need help, What would be the best 1/8 scale brushless system out now?.
What type of power can you put in it, EG: 6s liop battery?.
laferlita2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:14 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Tekin RX8. Then Castle MMM.

All 1/8th scale esc's are poof monsters right now. But these two stand behind thier product. Alot have been surving well. If your a serious racer, traveling etc, get two.

I run 4 cell 1900 in buggy. 1700 on slick tight tracks.

I'd go straight to 6 cell 1400kv for truggy because they have extra room for batteries and could use a little extra effieciency.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Everyone has their own opinions, but I think most will agree that you can't go too wrong with a Neu based motor. Obviously and actual Neu is good, I run one of the Blue can that were made for Tekno. The Castle 1/8 motors and the Tekin Buggy an dTruggy motors are also Neu designed, and add sensors for the totally smooth start up.

Choosing the KV is fairly easy. You want to target a motor RPM around 30,000 with 25,000 to 40,000 being usable in many chassis, but watch the gearing range of your s to make sure you can gear down to 30 mph and up to 40 mph, that should cover any normal track. So if you are on 3S, a KV from 2200 to 35,000. On 4S the range goes from 1700 to 2700, on 5S 1350 to 2100, and on 6S 1150 to 1800. This is a wider range than most recomend, because I am trying to cover all possible gearing options in cars. Obviously if you can't gear slow enough, 40,000 rpm is useless. And if you need a 25 tooth pinion, then 25,000 rpm may be too slow as well. You also want a motor rated for over 700 watts at your chosen voltage, or it will run hot in racing. I like a 1,000 watt or higher motor for some safety margin.

The Tekin RX8 does sound like a great ESC on specs and features, but I have never run one. The Mamba Monster V3 is a brick, it will withstand just about anything you throw at it, and keep cranking out power. It is a sensorless only, but that is not a problem in 1/8, the 4 pole motors run very nicely on sensorless. I was running an original 1/10 Mamba Max on 4S into a Neu 1512 2050 for a long timr with no issues at all. I started having glitches so I switched to a Mamba Max Pro, only ti find out the glitching was caused by my steering servo. I am currently still running the MMPro with great results, even in sensorless only. The fact it will run sensored can be an advantage on very tight tracks, if you get a Tekin motor. I may switch back to the old Mamba Max as it ran about the same, and it would free up the MMPro for me to use in my 1/10 with a sensored spec motor. The only real issue with the old MM is that it needs an external BEC to run anything over 3S, in fact, even at 3S I would use one as the linear BEC add heat to the ESC. It is also limited to 4S by the voltage of the internal components. But I never plan to run any more than 4S as it is more power than you can use on almost any track. The only reason for 6S in my opinion is to get real long run times.
GSMnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:48 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

At this point the best and most reliable setup is the Xerun esc with a Tekin motor. The Tekin esc is good, but no one can deny they are unreliable. With the Xerun/Tekin combo you get sensored smoothness and reliability.
T4.1
PROMATCH RACING
havatitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by havatitan View Post
At this point the best and most reliable setup is the Xerun esc with a Tekin motor. The Tekin esc is good, but no one can deny they are unreliable. With the Xerun/Tekin combo you get sensored smoothness and reliability.
I halfway agree with this. Try the xerun with the motor. I have the 4168 in my buggy and other than the motor mount screws being rediculously small, it is the best motor I have used. Runs cool, very very fast and efficient.

I'm going to drill and tap a hole for 4mm screws and it will then be perfect.
chiro972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The best for 1/8th scale racing is the MMM, it's fast, smooth, and RELIABLE. The Tekin is a better speed control as far as being smooth, but it wont get you anywhere when you have to ship it back to be replaced. Buy a monster and dont look back.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboard View Post
The best for 1/8th scale racing is the MMM, it's fast, smooth, and RELIABLE. The Tekin is a better speed control as far as being smooth, but it wont get you anywhere when you have to ship it back to be replaced. Buy a monster and dont look back.
True but when they RX8 sorted out i think it would be the one to pick up. For now i will stick with the MMM.
Dnano
fallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:17 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

From what I've been reading on various forums, I have to agree with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
All 1/8th scale esc's are poof monsters right now.
For every person recommending a specific esc, someone else says not to buy it.
Personally I run a MMM esc and have had absolutely no issues with it. But there are plenty of people who have smoked one. I think it's all just luck of the draw at the moment in terms of esc's.

Motors don't seem to be such an issue anymore. When I started looking at 1/8 brushless setups, the tekin motors had a problem with rotors coming apart. But that seems to have been sorted out now.

I've heard a lot of good comments about MMM esc's paired with tekin motors. As soon as my budget will allow, I'm getting a tekin motor for my buggy.

I've only been looking at tekin and castle, so can't really comment about the other brands.
Rampokker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:37 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Thank you for all the help, I can see that there are a few good choices. I'm on the right track now. Cheers
laferlita2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:19 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
True but when they RX8 sorted out i think it would be the one to pick up. For now i will stick with the MMM.
Thats true, but I'm sure that Castle also has a MMM-Pro in the works. I'm not trying to talk bad on Tekin, I've drove them and liked them, but I'm gonna wait for the 'great 1/8th scale system'.