R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-29-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Angry Blitz spur gear help

I have a blitz with a cc 4600kv. I run 7.4 lipo, and I keep melting spurs. I went through 5 this week. I've tried 88 and 82 tooth, I've also tried 14, 18, and 20 tooth pinions. I've also had the tech at the lhs look at all of them and even put some on himself. What is going on? Temps seem to be a little high when I run the 20tooth so I mainly run the 14 or 18. Any help would be great. Anyone else having this problem?
Fatam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:45 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

What do you mean by melting spurs?. If your talking about the spur gear it self getting so hot that it softens & then the pinion gear strips it then may
be your slipper clutch needs to be tighter,A loose slipper clutch could cause the spur to over heat, As your running a power full system.

1) Tighten slipper clutch

2) Try largest spur & smallest pinion gear check temps

3) If temps are good fit the next size up pinion gear until you have good speed & good temps, Adjust gearing to suite I mean.

Castle creations have gearing charts aswell. Hope that helped.
laferlita2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:40 AM   #3
Tech Adept

i have done this twice. both times i set the mesh tighter then i usually do. maybe your having the same issues. my set up was a mamba max pro and a mamba 7700kv
sancho1388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:39 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Try tightening the slipper all the way down then gear as low as you can and run it and try that.

Next thing i would check is to see if there is any binding in the drivetrain as this could cause excess friction which will produce heat and could be causing this issue
SgtCuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:16 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sancho1388 View Post
i have done this twice. both times i set the mesh tighter then i usually do. maybe your having the same issues. my set up was a mamba max pro and a mamba 7700kv
I ran for 2 months with a 12t titan and never had any issues. I put in a old 8.5 turn brushless and went through 3 gears in 2 days. The stock slipper wobbles the spur bad and you have to be so careful to align it correctly. That being said I was careful and still shredded the gears. I have heard that the optional lightweight slipper stops the wobble as it has a different design and and is much easier to change spur gears.http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-Carrier-Set

The tendency for the gears to wobble is the only thing I can think of cause like you my mesh was perfect was not over geared maybe the extra power is causing the spur to flex or twist under the slipper.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:19 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtCuts View Post
Try tightening the slipper all the way down then gear as low as you can and run it and try that.

Next thing i would check is to see if there is any binding in the drivetrain as this could cause excess friction which will produce heat and could be causing this issue
If you tighten the slipper all the way down you will tear up the outdrive cups on the transmission they are a weak point.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:06 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

I switched my slipper to the slipper from my e-firestorm and I use AE spurs and pads. The spur need a little modding but no wobble. I prefer the e-firestorm slipper better, ive had no problem since i changed it.
koopesv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:14 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

The "floating" spur won't cause the spur to melt if the mesh is set correctly. However a loose slipper adjustment will. All the friction from a slipper set to loose causes major friction which turns into heat, melting the spur gear. I ran a Blitz with a MMPro 5700KV combo for the whole winter indoor season and never had to replace the stock spur. In fact I have had 4 Blitz trucks and never had a spur go bad no matter what power combo I use. It all comes down to proper adjustment.
tmaxx26power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I do have a wobble issue. I ordered the firestorm one and hope that helps.
Fatam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaxx26power View Post
The "floating" spur won't cause the spur to melt if the mesh is set correctly. However a loose slipper adjustment will. All the friction from a slipper set to loose causes major friction which turns into heat, melting the spur gear.
think I might have had a heat issue the pinion cut through my spur like it was butter, guess the slipper could have heated it up. I ran that motor in an SC10 all last year same amount of slip and never had an issue. I guess the Blitz slipper pad sends too much heat into the plastic spur.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:25 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatam View Post
I have a blitz with a cc 4600kv. I run 7.4 lipo, and I keep melting spurs. I went through 5 this week. I've tried 88 and 82 tooth, I've also tried 14, 18, and 20 tooth pinions. I've also had the tech at the lhs look at all of them and even put some on himself. What is going on? Temps seem to be a little high when I run the 20tooth so I mainly run the 14 or 18. Any help would be great. Anyone else having this problem?
You could always try this for a permanent solution.
FS: Custom Blitz layshaft
Team and Sales Manager for USRC Imports, home of Sworkz! Looking for drivers for 2017-2018, KingMax Servos www.kingmaxhobby.com Gens Ace www.gensace.com, MIP www.miponline.com,Schelle , WWW. Schelleracing.com, Slavich Designs, GARCIA GRAPHIX

CHECK OUT GARCIA GRAPHIX ON FACEBOOK -LOOKING FOR 2017 TEAM DRIVER'S!
Raul Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

you might have a damaged pinion gear.... check it out.