Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rubber for Protrac

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Default Rubber for Protrac

Seriously looking at this pro-line suspension for my Slash-I've heard nothing but praise about the setup. What type of tires seem to have the best grip for kind of loose ground or hardpacked dirt,and when mounting tires to rims do inserts need to be added, If so, what's the best choice(s)? Thanks!
Old 05-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Proline Calibers have been the best for me so far on our track and it's dusty and loomy when it's dry and hard pack and tacky when it's wet and they are the best I've tried as far as a tire that can run well on both. Any tire you buy will come with inserts and all Prolines now come with nice molded inserts so there is no need to buy different ones.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the reply! I'm looking at the Calibers SC 2.2"/3.0 M3's or the M2's. Are there any pre-mounts anywhere?
Old 05-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

M3's are better IMO, the softer the better. No you won't find any pre-mounts from Proline other than their 1/8 scale stuff, pretty sure. Never seen any pre-mount SCT tires other than stock stuff.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

proline has premounts, but not on the offset rim required for the Protrac suspension
Old 05-27-2010, 06:43 AM
Tech Master

Are the FT and Rear tires/rims the same size all around?
Old 11-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by bowl806
Seriously looking at this pro-line suspension for my Slash-I've heard nothing but praise about the setup. What type of tires seem to have the best grip for kind of loose ground or hardpacked dirt,and when mounting tires to rims do inserts need to be added, If so, what's the best choice(s)? Thanks!

I installed this kit on my BL 2WD ,and the hub carrier cracked apart on the first small jump. The resin appears to be filled nylon is really brittle, the truck seemed to handle better, but this breakage issue from Proline needs to be fixed. Two other racers commented they had shock towers break very easily as well. I replaced the hub carriers with RPM units, if none of the other components fail, I'll keep the kit on, otherwise I'll put it back to stock.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

This is the 2nd post I've seen w/Proline breakage. I've heard good and bad re:Protrac so I'm not fully convinced. Yes it'll help handling and LCV but most of that can be corrected by lots of practice;what's wrong w/a little sideways lol!? I already am setup w/RPM carriers & shock towers and will probably leave as is until they break (if ever.) Does anybody think the cold weather is causing these breakage issues? I'm in Central Calif and it's been a bit chilly here. The only advantage I've seen w/it being cooler is it is keeping the temps in my 2wd Slash MM Pro 4600 down (which is an issue in itself!) I was running it 15/90 and it'd get to the mid to higher 190's after a full pack (2s 5250) Regeared it to 20/90 and it actually helps! 150's for awhile then the temps really jump. I've been shutting down when it hits the 170 mark.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jackson R
I installed this kit on my BL 2WD ,and the hub carrier cracked apart on the first small jump. The resin appears to be filled nylon is really brittle, the truck seemed to handle better, but this breakage issue from Proline needs to be fixed. Two other racers commented they had shock towers break very easily as well. I replaced the hub carriers with RPM units, if none of the other components fail, I'll keep the kit on, otherwise I'll put it back to stock.
Dude, you have to give us a chance to make it right before you post in several places how bad the product is. Like I said in your other post, e-mail us at [email protected] and we will take care of you. We have had very few problems with our pro-trac parts but it is possible that you got a defective part. I have had the kit on my slash for a long time and never broken a single part.

The overwhelming response to this kit has been positive in terms of improved performance.

I hope this helps,
Matt
Old 11-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Well Matt, that is pretty encouraging hearing (or at least reading) it directly. Pro line makes great hi quality stuff from what I've used and I'm pretty confident of this suspension setup as well. Maybe (and I say maybe) if my wife sees I'm a good hubby bubby at Christmas time, Santa will bring me the kit; if not, I'll be buying on my own. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

ive had the kit for a couple months now and i havent had any problems. and i havent been gentile either. but to the OP's question im having success with the proline m3 bowties on hardpack and m2 for looser surfaces
Old 11-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Thanks ebasher219! That's the answer I was looking for ie:M2 bowties loose, M3 bowties; hard packed.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt @ Pro-Line
Dude, you have to give us a chance to make it right before you post in several places how bad the product is. Like I said in your other post, e-mail us at [email protected] and we will take care of you. We have had very few problems with our pro-trac parts but it is possible that you got a defective part. I have had the kit on my slash for a long time and never broken a single part.

The overwhelming response to this kit has been positive in terms of improved performance.

I hope this helps,
Matt
Going to x2 Matt's post.
Friend had this very same thing happen, and ProLine took VERY good care of him VERY promptly. Unfortunately, ThunderbirdJunkie cannot speak for their customer service personally, because their products have always been so good he doesn't need to use it