Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
1/10 4wd buggy + front spool? (xxx4-g+) >

1/10 4wd buggy + front spool? (xxx4-g+)

1/10 4wd buggy + front spool? (xxx4-g+)

Old 05-24-2010, 06:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default 1/10 4wd buggy + front spool? (xxx4-g+)

Hey guys,

Anyone run a front spool in a 4wd buggy? Seems like not many people are running front one ways (indoor xxx4) and was wondering why I havent heard of spools? On paper sounds like a win win, brakes and killer acceleration.

Im running a losi xxx4-g+ and love the way the one way feels but hate I have no brakes, im just curious if there will be a drastic loss in steering and poor tire wear or will things feel close to the front one way but with brakes? Guess losi makes a front pulley to convert to a spool (A3325) and I think i might try it.

Thanks
Old 05-26-2010, 02:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

I would think it would cut down on you initial turn in quite a bit.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

im guessing with a front spool in a 4wd off road that the turn in may be inadequate, just a guess anyway. Where as in onroad, there is heaps of traction for the front end.

Suppose if you want a front spool but cannot get one, just tighten up your front diff as tight as possible, then it will be like a spool. I have heard people put traxxas slipper pegs instead of balls in their ball diff to lock up front diffs to act like spools in onroad, maybe give that a try?
Old 05-26-2010, 08:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by captain stacker
im guessing with a front spool in a 4wd off road that the turn in may be inadequate, just a guess anyway. Where as in onroad, there is heaps of traction for the front end.

Suppose if you want a front spool but cannot get one, just tighten up your front diff as tight as possible, then it will be like a spool. I have heard people put traxxas slipper pegs instead of balls in their ball diff to lock up front diffs to act like spools in onroad, maybe give that a try?
that is the way to do it, with the slipper pegs. . . . .a true spool in this car will not give under the stresses of offroad, and will only break more parts. . . . . after putting in the pegs in the diff only tighten it until the diff slip a little
Old 05-26-2010, 09:22 PM
Tech Addict

I run the ball diffs at both ends and judt run the front one a bit tighter than the back. You can also use the one tooth smaller pulley to over drive the front if you want more authority with the steering. I tried it and it does work, but I was more consistent with the equal front and rear drive ratios. If you like the feel with the one ways though, I think you will like a tight front diff with the over drive pulley up front. It actually forces the car to keep the tail in more in tight corners, for a less tail out attitude, even while coasting or braking, not just under power like the one ways do it. I am by no means a great driver. My reaction time is not up to what that car can do, so i have tamed mine to make it nicer for me to drive more consistent, if not the fastest. Now that I have learned a bit more about the setup of the car, I may have to give the front overdrive another go and see how it feels with the softer front shocks I am running now. When I had the heavier oil in the front I just didn't have enough front traction to make the overdrive front work well, it had more push on tight turns. I tried front one ways in the past on a Kyosho Optima Mid and it did work on very tight track when the rear only braking let me turn it on a dime, but I was also much younger then and had better reactions, and no where near the power of today's brushless beasts.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Sorry, not to hijack this thread....but my son has a XXX-4 front one-way spool. It is brand new ( from the UK) but not in the package. It is for sale only because he can not use it in his XX-4.
$60.00US shipped.

Email [email protected] for pics
Old 05-27-2010, 01:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Losi slipper spool

Why not use the xxx-s spool pads Basicly just small rings of wet n dry sand paper remove the diff balls and put the sandpaper rings in place (rough side towards pulley) an build diff as per normal
gives a spool effect but in a high stress situation it will giv a little so as not to break something on the car

much cheaper than buying a proper spool and much easier than modifiying for traxxas pegs

and u can swap back to a normal diff if your not happy with it and won't hav cost a fortune
Old 05-27-2010, 02:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Hello !
I am also a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !