Wiki Posts
Search

painting a body

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default painting a body

ok, i got a desert rat body for my rustler. now, i never did this. do i paint the under side the color i want, cut it out of the mold, then peel the protective film on the other side off, and apply decals? is there a primer i need to apply first before paint. this will be my first time. so i want to do a good job.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Who would have ever thought this information would be in the appropriate painting and body section

http://www.rctech.net/forum/painting...ng-body-z.html
Old 05-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

you might want to check out the painting forum.

but yes you paint the underside of the body. make sure to wash it with soap and warm water first then dry it. i have never used primer but i have heard some people sanding it slightly but not sure about that method
Old 05-20-2010, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by carcrazy699
you might want to check out the painting forum.

but yes you paint the underside of the body. make sure to wash it with soap and warm water first then dry it. i have never used primer but i have heard some people sanding it slightly but not sure about that method
ok, my bad i didnt look to see if there was a paint and body section yea i will wash it and dry it really good. when i go to my lhs to buy the blue paint, i'll ask them if i need primer.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I dont thing priming it first would work out. If you spray primmer how would you see the color blue unless you paint the outside.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ckblood05
ok, my bad i didnt look to see if there was a paint and body section yea i will wash it and dry it really good. when i go to my lhs to buy the blue paint, i'll ask them if i need primer.
I trim the body first, then mask you windows, paint the underneath side of thebody with several light coats, back with white paint, and then peal the overspray plastic off. Lastly, put the decals on the outside. They didn't use to have the protective film on the bodies, and when I painted the body in my T4 and I didn't figure it out until I wrecked a few times and it started coming off.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

In addition to the links above RCTech still has its old site up with a great article on painting. Its lengthy but full of great info! Have a look here.

http://www.rctech.net/articles/paint...tedmyst1.shtml
Old 05-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BrianTx01
I trim the body first, then mask you windows, paint the underneath side of thebody with several light coats, back with white paint, and then peal the overspray plastic off. Lastly, put the decals on the outside. They didn't use to have the protective film on the bodies, and when I painted the body in my T4 and I didn't figure it out until I wrecked a few times and it started coming off.
ok, thats what them white window stickers must be for. to mask off the windows. i wanted to paint it blue. like the color blue on rpm parts.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We get it. You want it blue. Procedure is the same no matter what color(s) you use
Old 05-20-2010, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by scwrod
We get it. You want it blue. Procedure is the same no matter what color(s) you use
yup. i just got done cutting and trimming the body. i drilled the holes for the body mounts and rear wing. then i washed the whole thing with warm soapy water,dried it off. then put the white window stickers on. now tomorrow im going to my lhs and getting a can of blue paint.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

what color?

I trim after I paint.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by scwrod
what color?

I trim after I paint.
im gonna paint it blue. try to get the blue like what rpm parts look like.lol
Old 05-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Tech Champion

Tamiya has a nice neon blue. Needs a white back coat. Pactra floresent cover coat is white and perfect for that.

Avoid pactra's neon blue. Thier other spray cans are nice but thier neon blue and red kinda stink.

I cut my body out first, then sand and finish cut with a dremel and sanding drum. That way I can fit the body to the car easier with it being clear. Easy to line up body posts, engine, fuel tank, and antennae that way.

Then I mask the windows etc, and paint the inside.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Since you already cut your mounting holes it's a good idea to put a piece of tape over them on the outside of the body before you paint.
If not the paint will creep under the overspray film around the holes.

Also keep an eye on the edges of the body. Once you cut it out the film has a habbit of wanting to come up around the edges where you cut it out and paint will find it's way there as well.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by transambill
Since you already cut your mounting holes it's a good idea to put a piece of tape over them on the outside of the body before you paint.
If not the paint will creep under the overspray film around the holes.

Also keep an eye on the edges of the body. Once you cut it out the film has a habbit of wanting to come up around the edges where you cut it out and paint will find it's way there as well.
yea i gotta do that. good point. ok, i will make sure everything looks ok before i paint.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.