R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-06-2004, 08:59 AM   #1
Tech Initiate
Default Motor for XXXT Rtr

I'm looking at replacing the motor in my Losi XXXT RTR electric truck. The 19 turn, non-rebuildable motor that came with it just feels too slow out on the track.

What I'm looking for is suggestions on what I should look for. My ESC can only handle 15 turn motors or higher so, something in that range would be best.

Will a 15 turn motor give me much more power over the 19 turn that came with the truck? If not I guess I should be considering an upgraded speed control as well.
tr6_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 09:43 AM   #2
Tech Legend
Trader Rating: 205 (100%+)

Depends on the 15 turn motor you get.

Are you racing at all? You may want a good stock motor then. The P2k2 pro is a good stock motor. The MVP is also good in Offroad if you do the tricks that Big Jim recommends here: www.bigjimracing.com The magnets in the MVP last longer.

If no racing, a 19 turn motor would be a good choice as well. You can get the Reedy 19T Quad Mag motor, lots of power and torque there. The Peak Dynasty is a good motor too.

If you go with either of the 19T motors I suggested, start at the recommended gearing for 24 degree motors minus 1 pinion size for the Dynasty. If you have a track to test it on run it so it peaks out in speed towards the end of the longest straight.

The Reedy Quad really likes to be geared up ( bigger pinions ).
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 09:43 AM   #3
Tech Adept

15 turn would be much faster even a high end stock motor would be faster. You could also go with a high end 19 turn. I would get what the speedo can hold and eventually get a better speedo and you can go with say a 11 double that would really make it fly
Brandon R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 11:02 AM   #4
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 154 (100%+)

I would buy a 19T chameleon 2 or reedy quad mag 19T. Plenty of power, better than buying a cheap 15 turn that your goin to pay about the same amount for a good 19 T like the above ones.
Brian Miskolczi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 02:18 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

OK, excuse my ignorance here but I've been surfing around a bit looking for info on motors and now I'm a little confused. I found a motor called a Venom Fireball 15T Double that's very cheap. Only about $20. That makes me suspicious since I'm always one to think you get what you pay for and I've always bought high-end stock motors for my TC3. How would something like the Venom Fireball compare to a Chameleon 2 19T motor?
tr6_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 02:31 PM   #6
Tech Adept

I bought a XXXT as my first truck and i had the same question.
You should do What i did.
Go get a Novak Super rooster and get it ever with!!
Right now i have a 13T and thats plenty of power for me right now.

Also look in to some Dean connector they give you more power and longer run times.
AND Learn to sodder if you dont yet.
Are you new at the hobby??
Richy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 02:51 PM   #7
Tech Addict

get a 19 turn for now untill u can run that without crashing a lot
then u can start getting the lower turn motors and start getting better equipment
whats the point of having a fast motor but not being able to control it?u will learn more about your driving technique then getting a 13
craziracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 07:12 PM   #8
Tech Master
Send a message via AIM to LosiFromHell986

from what I'm told the MVP stock motor isn't a good motor in a XXXT... i hear it tails(?) off toward the end of a race or a pack.

I'm told the best truck stock motor is the P2K2 Pro.

If you're not racing, then I'd just go with perhaps a Speed Gems 15 and have some fun!

For racing, I'd suggest the P2K2 Pro

Here it is:
In a completely unbiased opinion, I would NEVER spend my own money on an MVP. Reedy team drivers don't even use that thing in stock races, there's no reason for you to buy one. MVP's and Orion's Core stock motor start to run inefficently once the comm gets smaller (after being cut several times) and tail off at the end of the race.
this was said by Aaron Waldron in the ''Monster Pro...?'' thread

Last edited by LosiFromHell986; 05-09-2004 at 07:19 PM.
LosiFromHell986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 11:53 AM   #9
Tech Legend
Trader Rating: 205 (100%+)

The MVP with the narrow brushes actually works quite well. I never had that issue when running it. Proper gearing is important.

The P2k2 Pro is probably the best all around motor. If I do a stock class, I probably would get that motor, a tuned version from Paradigm. The thing about the MVP is the magnets are beasts.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote