Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
ESC switch question and Hobbywing Ezrun troubleshooting >

ESC switch question and Hobbywing Ezrun troubleshooting

ESC switch question and Hobbywing Ezrun troubleshooting

Old 05-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default ESC switch question and Hobbywing Ezrun troubleshooting

I have an Hobbywing Ezrun 80a 1/8 that needs the switch flicked at the base or switched back and forth quickly to turn on. After it is on, it will cut out after a big landing. Can I replace this switch with a Losi or Novak esc replacement switch? They both have on/off and a set button but not sure on compatibility.

I also have another Ezrun that just makes the motor twitch a little but no full revolution of the pinion. At first I thought I cooked the motor after a 15 minute main it was at 190F. I have since added a fan for my stock Fusion motors. I have tried two motors and same response. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by coachlewis
I have an Hobbywing Ezrun 80a 1/8 that needs the switch flicked at the base or switched back and forth quickly to turn on. After it is on, it will cut out after a big landing. Can I replace this switch with a Losi or Novak esc replacement switch? They both have on/off and a set button but not sure on compatibility.

I also have another Ezrun that just makes the motor twitch a little but no full revolution of the pinion. At first I thought I cooked the motor after a 15 minute main it was at 190F. I have since added a fan for my stock Fusion motors. I have tried two motors and same response. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Do u need the switches? I cut them off after it's damage n soulder the 2 wires together.

Btw are u using the fusion or old hobbywing motors? They run hot n will eventually spoil as they are 2 pole n not good with heat.

I suggest u try the new hobbywing motors if buggy is 4168 if truggy is 4274.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

I thought about soldering the wires together but wouldn't I lose the set function that I need to calibrate throttle? I have a 3 wire switch.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would like to know about this as well.

Will be helpful when that cheap switch fails.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Tech Regular

Been there...try this cheap big switch:

Mount it horizontally and you're good to go...
Old 05-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Tech Lord

Shortcircuit the RED and WHITE wires of the switch, and let the Black wire of the switch free (that means you just cut the Black wire and do NOT connect the black wire with anything. )

In such a way you can use the ESC but you cannot set the programmable items any more.

But if u need to set again just let the 3 wires touch again. It's rarely u need to do the throttle thingy
Old 05-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks I will solder them together.

I have 2 Fusion and 2 Hobbywing motors but all came on my Casters. I still don't know what is wrong with that other EZrun where it just twitches the motor with no full revolution.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Tech Lord

Thanks I will solder them together.

I have 2 Fusion and 2 Hobbywing motors but all came on my Casters. I still don't know what is wrong with that other EZrun where it just twitches the motor with no full revolution.
Could it be the motor has burnt? Any burning smell on esc or motor?

Btw your hobbywing motors are the old version right since u use the ezrun? They burn easily.

The new 4168 n 4274 is alot better.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SuperEk4
Could it be the motor has burnt? Any burning smell on esc or motor?

Btw your hobbywing motors are the old version right since u use the ezrun? They burn easily.

The new 4168 n 4274 is alot better.
I have tried 2 different motors and same thing, so I assume it has to be the ESC. I thought it was a fried motor first until I put the esc on my truggy and same thing happened. That is when I realized it was not the motor.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:54 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Can you short the Red and Black wires together while leaving the White wire intact? When you close the power switch, that shorts the Red and Black wires. If this works, it would leave the setting capability in place. In case the setting switch needs the return wire in place, you might want to try removing a bit of insulation on the Black wire and soldering the Red wire to the Black wire while leaving the Black wire still attached to the switch box.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Tech Lord

I have tried 2 different motors and same thing, so I assume it has to be the ESC. I thought it was a fried motor first until I put the esc on my truggy and same thing happened. That is when I realized it was not the motor.

Send the esc mayb the fets has burnt
Old 05-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JSR
Can you short the Red and Black wires together while leaving the White wire intact? When you close the power switch, that shorts the Red and Black wires. If this works, it would leave the setting capability in place. In case the setting switch needs the return wire in place, you might want to try removing a bit of insulation on the Black wire and soldering the Red wire to the Black wire while leaving the Black wire still attached to the switch box.
That is a good idea but I have already soldered the red and white together. I will just have to never buy a new radio now.

Thanks for the advice SuperEK shorting out the switch wires has fixed 2 of my Ezruns now.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Tech Lord

That is a good idea but I have already soldered the red and white together. I will just have to never buy a new radio now.

Thanks for the advice SuperEK shorting out the switch wires has fixed 2 of my Ezruns now.
Sure no problem
Old 05-31-2010, 06:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Default 80a ESC switch issue

Hey guys...

New to the forum...but greatful that this forum has come across this issue...as I just experienced my 80a EZRun switch turning off and on in the field.

I'm pretty good with a soldering gun but I'm not sure what you guys mean by short circuit the wires??

Can someone explain to me the best way to keep the throttle setting capability intact? Do I need to cut the switch straight off and then solder wires together? Do I then replace the old switch with a new one?

I'm running the stock E-maxx tq tx and when I have the money will upgrade to a 2.4ghz.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-31-2010, 06:26 AM
Tech Lord

If u intend to keep the throttle range best is soulder another switch wire to wire.

Originally Posted by syncronized
Hey guys...

New to the forum...but greatful that this forum has come across this issue...as I just experienced my 80a EZRun switch turning off and on in the field.

I'm pretty good with a soldering gun but I'm not sure what you guys mean by short circuit the wires??

Can someone explain to me the best way to keep the throttle setting capability intact? Do I need to cut the switch straight off and then solder wires together? Do I then replace the old switch with a new one?

I'm running the stock E-maxx tq tx and when I have the money will upgrade to a 2.4ghz.

Thanks in advance!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.