Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brushed vs brushless motors

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Tech Adept

Default Brushed vs brushless motors

Been looking at different motors and would like to know the diffrence between the two the brushed motors is a lot less expensive compared to the brushless most of them I found you could buy 3 to 1 brushless motor what is the pros vs the cons to having either one. Also is it possible to rebuild a brushless motor
Also how do u fig the gear ratio for a brushed motor or is it the same as a brushless
Old 05-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Brushless motors are quickly overtaking brushed motors, and for good reasons. Virtually zero maintenance (just oiling bearings for the most part), much higher power, higher efficiency, etc. The rebuildability of a brushless motor depends on which one you get, but there's no comm in a BL motor so you'll rarely need to rebuild one anyway.

There aren't many cons of brushless to note, besides the cost (which is falling). As for brushed, pros are...well... I don't know exactly. With my limited time running brushed in my car(s), I can tell you that it's a pain to change brushes, springs, etc., and break in the brushes every time. You really don't know what you're missing until you try a BL system.

You will probably have to re-gear you car because of the added speed/power BL gives. The Kv rating refers to the RPM you get per volt applied, so multiply that by the pack voltage you're running to help with gearing.

Keep in mind that you will need a brushless ESC as well as a brushless motor. If you want to get into brushless without spending a ton of money, you could go with an EZrun system. I've heard good things about those, but I'm quickly becoming a fan of Castle Creations (a bit on the more expensive side).

Hope this helps
Old 05-08-2010, 12:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kodiakbear7070
Been looking at different motors and would like to know the diffrence between the two the brushed motors is a lot less expensive compared to the brushless most of them I found you could buy 3 to 1 brushless motor what is the pros vs the cons to having either one. Also is it possible to rebuild a brushless motor
Also how do u fig the gear ratio for a brushed motor or is it the same as a brushless
The brushless motor will last through ten or more of them brushed motors, in the long haul you save time and money and have a much better performing motor, IMO.