Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deans Ultra plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 07:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Deans Ultra plugs

I ran my lrp 7.4V LiPo 5300 28C using deans ultra plugs from today... are they supposed to get a little hot... or what?

Other info:
Battery: LRP 7.4V LiPo 5300 28C
ESC: LRP Ai Pro
Motor: Eraser brushless 9.5T

Thank you
Old 05-07-2010, 07:42 AM
Tech Champion

Have they just got hot, or has it melted as such?

The only thing to check if you soldered them on yourself, is that both terminals do not have a dry joint, causing heat build up.

I would say if it has only got hot, it is normal.

I would say a 28c 5300 lipo will draw more current through it than any nimh cell, hence the heat build up.

It is just a guess though
Old 05-07-2010, 07:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by tc3team
The only thing to check if you soldered them on yourself, is that both terminals do not have a dry joint, causing heat build up.:
What is a dry joint?
The guy at the LHS did solder them but i guess i would have done it better myself... and am not even actually sure they are deans... they certainly are T-ultra plugs...
Old 05-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Deans plugs are rated to handle a lot of amps, more than the 150A you can push with your battery. I find most times the heat issue comes from your battery having larger wires than your ESC. For instance if your battery has 10gauge wire coming out of it into your plug, then on the ESC side it goes down to 14 gauge wire, then that is restricting the current from the battery and you will get heat from that.
I find some cheap plugs will restrict the current but mostly is the wire size creating the heat.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Tech Adept

There are knock offs that are prone to getting hot & even melting. I have ran (real) Ultra plugs for atleast 10 years now & have never had them get hot in a 1/10 scale application.
A dry solder joint looks like the wire is just sitting on the tab. You want to have a little puddle that completly surrounds all of the wire strands & comes in full contact with the solder tab on the plug.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Deans is all I use wheter its 18th scale or 8th scale - none of them get hot. WHen they get hot, its a pretty classic sign that there's a soldering prob in that connection.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I made a big fuss about dean utlra and not wanting to use them with my 6s setup...

I went to ec5s and after a month of coming back and having to resolder an ec5 or replacing one, i went back to deans.

Im still a little hesitant, but after 1 full track day i had zero issues running 2 4s 5000mAh 20c packs on a MMM / 2650kv motor

and zero issues running 6s 5000mAh 35C pack on a mmm/2200kv... so im back on the deans wagon.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Originally Posted by agarabaghi
I made a big fuss about dean utlra and not wanting to use them with my 6s setup...

I went to ec5s and after a month of coming back and having to resolder an ec5 or replacing one, i went back to deans.

Im still a little hesitant, but after 1 full track day i had zero issues running 2 4s 5000mAh 20c packs on a MMM / 2650kv motor

and zero issues running 6s 5000mAh 35C pack on a mmm/2200kv... so im back on the deans wagon.
I also have the MMM/2650kv in my RC8 and just ordered three 4500mah 4s 30c bats for it. I have deans set up on it right now but I am thinking of trying the 4mm bullet plugs instead on it. Since the batteries come with the bullets already on them with 8gauge wires I am figuring it might be better for me to soldier on the bullet connectors then try to get 8gauge wires on the little deans plug terminal.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

RE: EC5
I ordered some a week ago, thinking that it would be better than deans. Hmm - I'm rethinking about it now that I see your post.

Originally Posted by agarabaghi

Old 05-07-2010, 03:08 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oreellyfool
Deans plugs are rated to handle a lot of amps, more than the 150A you can push with your battery.
Deans are only rated for approx. 60-65A actually. But that is continuous current, which you will never see. They will get warm in high load applications, but if the plastic/housing is melting, there's a problem with your setup, soldering, etc.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Tech Addict

If your connectors get more than a little warm, something is wrong.

Different wire sizes are not an issue, no matter what. The only problem is if the wire is just plain too small for the currne,t but if you have #14 on one side and a #8 on the other, it will work just fine as long as they are soldered well and the connector is seating correctly.

The most common problem I am seeing with Deans, Ultra "T" plugs (and more so with the cheapo copies) is if hey get too hot while soldering and the two terminals are no longer at a perfect 90 degree angle to each other. When they are flat the two blades have a very large contact area and have about the same current handling as a #12 wire. But even a tiny angle between the two will reduce the contact area to a thin line, and it will get very hot under load.

I ran Deans on my 1/8 for a little while, but I noticed they were getting easier to pull apart, and when I looked closer, you could tell the heat was causing the little springs to go flat, so there was less tension holding the two blades against each other. I never let them go to where they start to melt. The cheap copy ones seem to melt at a lower temp and go away much faster once things go wrong.

I am now using Bullets, but not just any bullet. Castle CC Bullets. I first used them on my Medusa motor, but I got the 5.5 mm ones and they work great. Then when I got a couple new batteries that have the 4.0 mm sockets in them, I hated the connectors that came with them. The bullets with the thin fingers are sure to fail. All of the current not only has to go through those thin fingers, they need to make two connections in series. The sleave of fingers is not connected to the pin, it is just wrapped around it. I have seen the corner of a battery pack melt because of those connectors. The 4.0 mm CC Bullets are a perfect fit in those batteries. The connection is far better and they run dead cold. On my packs with leads, I installed the 4.0 mm sockets. The Turnigy 4S 4500's I bought came with the 4.0 mm bullets. They use a socket for the positive and a pin for the negative to make sure you can't get it backwards, but their pins are the crappy thin finger style. I cut that half off and installed another socket, since both leads on my ESC's have the CC Bullets pins now.

I use the thin finger typw bullets on my chargers, they are fine for 5 amps, just not 120.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Oreellyfool
I also have the MMM/2650kv in my RC8 and just ordered three 4500mah 4s 30c bats for it. I have deans set up on it right now but I am thinking of trying the 4mm bullet plugs instead on it. Since the batteries come with the bullets already on them with 8gauge wires I am figuring it might be better for me to soldier on the bullet connectors then try to get 8gauge wires on the little deans plug terminal.
I just installed Deans plugs on a few Turnigy packs w/ 8g. wire today. They worked great, plenty of room. Just make sure to slide the heat shrink tubing all the way down to the pack before soldering, if they get warm & shrink at all, they will not slide over the solder joint.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by GSMnow
I ran Deans on my 1/8 for a little while, but I noticed they were getting easier to pull apart, and when I looked closer, you could tell the heat was causing the little springs to go flat, so there was less tension holding the two blades against each other. .
+1
Old 05-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Tech Initiate

so from what i understand... either the joints are not soldered perfectly or my deans are fake right?

will make sure to order some deans that are indeed deans...
which e-shops have the original deans?
rcmarket, amainhobbies, rcmushroom
Any of these?

Last edited by drivehardgopro; 05-08-2010 at 08:54 AM. Reason: forgot some letters :p
Old 05-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Tech Addict

Even the fake deans copies work fairly well if they are carefully soldered and not over heated. Once the connector shell melts at all, the pins twist a bit and the contac area is crap. You need to replace the connector and try again. You may need to check both, the one on your ESC could also be the problem. Is it only one pack getting hot, or all of them? Any reasonable local hobby shop should be able to get you some real Deans if they do not stock them, or you can order them from Horizon, Hobby People, or Tower. I am sure there are some cheaper online places with real Deans, and of course the super cheap ones are the knock offs.

I like to clamp the connector housing in a vice, this helps keep it cool also, and use a powerful hot soldering iron, not a gun. A heavy element and tip will hold it's temp when you touch it to the terminal, this will heat the metal tab quick, get the solder melting and flow a good joint so you can get back off fast. This will reduce the chance of the shell melting at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.