Community
Wiki Posts
Search

tekin rx8 servo help

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 04:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dookiman
I only tested the new ESC for a few minutes yesterday due to bad weather. During this time I had zero issues, but I want to put it through a complete pack before I say it was the original ESC for sure. I too would first point to the servo or reciever. pretty confusing!
Whats odd is, with the first 1015 servo and Airtronics 441DS reciever, the problem started only after I had run the packs for about 5 minutes or so. With the new 1015 and a new 441DS reciever installed the problem was immediate. I couldnt apply any steering as soon as I turned it on....turn the wheel straight and I had power again.
It's still raining here so I will try and run a complete pack through it tomorrow and then see what happens.

Randy...thanks for the info. We will see what happens tomorrow...
Hey Randy...Finally stopped raining here and had a chance to run my truggy, but...now I'm really confused. I ran my backup (new) RX8 with a power cap installed on saturday and my system didnt last a full run. Truggy was running great until about 60% through the pack and then lost all power. After it rolled to a stop the servo just locked to the left completely and the power came back on. The ESC was showing normal running lights. The fan was not on as temps were good. Turned it off and then back on but the servo immediately locks to the left each time. This was a brand new ACE1015. This is now the second 1015 servo I've gone through in 2 runs without any bad hits...
I do not believe this is a problem with my ESC. I have heard that the 1015 servos draw more volts than advertised. Could this be my problem??
Old 05-25-2010, 07:27 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey, yes the 1015's draw a lot more current than advertised. If you feel the servo might be the issue unplug it and see if the Rx8 comes back to life.

If the lights still show "normal" movement but no motor drive something else is going on. First step is ALWAYS to unplug the sensor harness from the speedo, retry.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

I pulled out the second 1015 servo and plugged it into my sons system. The same thing...servo snaps to the left and stays put...#2 servo is a dead dog.
Plugged in a new 1015 into my system and no problems with the ESC or servo...at least on the bench. So, as stated this is the second 1015 servo to take a dive on me.
I just dont get it, my sons system is a rx8/1700 on 46 with a 1015 servo as well...zero problems battery after battery.

These were all brand new servo'sWhat the heck can be causing this???
Old 05-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dookiman
I pulled out the second 1015 servo and plugged it into my sons system. The same thing...servo snaps to the left and stays put...#2 servo is a dead dog.
Plugged in a new 1015 into my system and no problems with the ESC or servo...at least on the bench. So, as stated this is the second 1015 servo to take a dive on me.
I just dont get it, my sons system is a rx8/1700 on 46 with a 1015 servo as well...zero problems battery after battery.

These were all brand new servo'sWhat the heck can be causing this???
are your EPAs set right? if there not they will fry the servo. at full left/right (on the wheel) the servo shouldn't be binding or stop moving at any point. if it is, the servo will make a loud "humming" noise.

or

there might be binding in the steering rack itself, it will overload the servo and cause it to burn out. take off the servo horn and if check to see if both wheels turn L/R freely, if not find out were its binding.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by whitrzac
are your EPAs set right? if there not they will fry the servo. at full left/right (on the wheel) the servo shouldn't be binding or stop moving at any point. if it is, the servo will make a loud "humming" noise.

or

there might be binding in the steering rack itself, it will overload the servo and cause it to burn out. take off the servo horn and if check to see if both wheels turn L/R freely, if not find out were its binding.
I have checked my EPA settings about 1000 times to be sure. I have set them so low the last 2 runs that I damn near dont have any sterring just to play it safe.
No binding either...steering works smooth and free.

I'm going to isolate the servo and run it using an RX pack to see what happens.