R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   need to know how many amps i need to discharge my battery (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/395548-need-know-how-many-amps-i-need-discharge-my-battery.html)

mxracer458 05-04-2010 07:22 PM

need to know how many amps i need to discharge my battery

i have smc 4900 25c saddle packs,i eneded up breaking my car and did not use my last fully charged pack,so i need to know whats a good amp or half amp to discharge this battery to 60% so i can store it for a few weeks.

SaladFork 05-04-2010 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by mxracer458 (Post 7361314)
i have smc 4900 25c saddle packs,i eneded up breaking my car and did not use my last fully charged pack,so i need to know whats a good amp or half amp to discharge this battery to 60% so i can store it for a few weeks.

Should be fine as it is for a few weeks... I had a lipo in my box for almost 6 months full charged, pulled it out ran it down works just like the others. I've never discharged a lipo on the charger but I think anywhere from 10-20 amps would be fine, your car draws much higher discharge rates then that.

mxracer458 05-04-2010 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by SaladFork (Post 7361355)
Should be fine as it is for a few weeks... I had a lipo in my box for almost 6 months full charged, pulled it out ran it down works just like the others. I've never discharged a lipo on the charger but I think anywhere from 10-20 amps would be fine, your car draws much higher discharge rates then that.

really that much?my charger is only a 5 amp charger

bohdi 05-04-2010 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by mxracer458 (Post 7361363)
really that much?my charger is only a 5 amp charger

go 3-4 amps
What charger do you have?

Briguy 05-04-2010 07:36 PM

You don`t need to discharge it for just a few weeks .

Duster_360 05-04-2010 08:14 PM

SMC says their lipos should be stored immed at 3.7v if they ar enot going to be used immed. They are the only company I'm aware of with this recommendation. Bryan from SMC used to be on here a lot and posted as much about this. They can puff if they're not stored correctly. the older gen SMCs were not this sensitive and didn't have this recommendation.

Does you charger not have a lipo storage function? If it does, it should just need to be told a voltage and it will do teh discharging. If no storage mode, use 0.5 - 1.0amp as this is what the typical storage mode discharge rate would be using a charger.

mxracer458 05-04-2010 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Duster_360 (Post 7361584)
SMC says their lipos should be stored immed at 3.7v if they ar enot going to be used immed. They are the only company I'm aware of with this recommendation. Bryan from SMC used to be on here a lot and posted as much about this. They can puff if they're not stored correctly. the older gen SMCs were not this sensitive and didn't have this recommendation.

Does you charger not have a lipo storage function? If it does, it should just need to be told a voltage and it will do teh discharging. If no storage mode, use 0.5 - 1.0amp as this is what the typical storage mode discharge rate would be using a charger.

i have a orion avonics charger,so i am just going to discharge the battery to 60%