Wiki Posts
Search

Where do you buy genuine deans connectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Where do you buy genuine deans connectors

Hi Guys,

I have a problem with my deans style connectors, they are not genuine and the plastic melts when i run my RC8Te on full throttle for more than a few seconds.
have deans from different brands, but as far as I can tell, none of them is genuine WS Deans, probably some china import stuff.

I use the same connectors in other cars (e.g. Savage Flux, E-Revo Brushless), no troubles there.

After some online research I found out that there are many copies out there which are just not as capable as the original deans connectors, e.g. higher resistance, different plastic with lower melting point. I decided to change all my connectors and get some genuine deans but I cannot find them.

Do you know where I can get the original ones from? Or maybe there is a particular good manufacturer which also does some capable connectors, let me know if you have any experience.

Thanks
Old 05-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Your local hobby shop should have them, if not then www.amainhobbies.com, www.towerhobbies.com, www.nexusracing.com all of them have them in stock.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for those links, I've bookmarked them.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I know you probably don't want to switch what type of connectors you are using but the Pro-Tek XT60 connectors from amainhobbies.com are ever better than Deans. I had genuine Deans on all of my packs and they started to get loose and lose contact after about 8 months of use. I made sure to plug them together when soldering, I use a Hakko 936 with the large chisel tip, and I have been in this hobby for almost 20 years so I know how to solder, but they still get worn out. I always make sure to unplug them by grabing the plug not the wires but they still got loose. The XT60 connector is like a bullet connector with a plastic shell. The male side bullets are split 4 way so if they lose their spring you can just open them back up and the connector is like new again. I was talking with the guy who is the Product Development Manager for Pro-Tek about connectors and he was saying that their XT60 connector handled the more amps on their load tester than Deans plugs can. Plus with the design the XT60 plugs are way easier to solder. Here is a picture of the connector.
Attached Thumbnails Where do you buy genuine deans connectors-ptk-5030.jpg  
Old 05-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew
I know you probably don't want to switch what type of connectors you are using but the Pro-Tek XT60 connectors from amainhobbies.com are ever better than Deans. I had genuine Deans on all of my packs and they started to get loose and lose contact after about 8 months of use. I made sure to plug them together when soldering, I use a Hakko 936 with the large chisel tip, and I have been in this hobby for almost 20 years so I know how to solder, but they still get worn out. I always make sure to unplug them by grabing the plug not the wires but they still got loose. The XT60 connector is like a bullet connector with a plastic shell. The male side bullets are split 4 way so if they lose their spring you can just open them back up and the connector is like new again. I was talking with the guy who is the Product Development Manager for Pro-Tek about connectors and he was saying that their XT60 connector handled the more amps on their load tester than Deans plugs can. Plus with the design the XT60 plugs are way easier to solder. Here is a picture of the connector.
I had the same problems w/ my deans.. I'm done with them in my 1/8 vehicles.. I'm swapping everything over to the EC5 connectors.. ec3 are nice for 1/10, but I have to say the ec5 are easily the best 1/8 I've been able to find. I will say the deans seem ok in my 1/10 stuff, but 1/8 racing is just too much for the tired design.

PS those xt60's are on the level of a ec3 connector, the EC5 are in a class of their own right now.

Last edited by 8ight-e; 05-03-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Tech Rookie

I don't really want to change out all my deans, but it looks like i might have to. Thanks for the suggestions, i'll check out those plugs
Old 05-03-2010, 11:54 AM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have both fake and real Deans and don't have problems with either. I'd suggest you check your setup on the truggy before blaming the connectors. If it's getting hot enough to melt the connectors, there may be a problem with the setup drawing too much current, a small or temporary short, gearing, etc.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Tech Initiate

i agree with the others if your truck it melting fake deans i dont think real deans are going to help that much.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I run Deans on my 8ight-e with a mamba monster and do not have any issues at all.....
Old 05-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Real deans won't melt, they just come apart from time to time while racing.. like last week in the a-main and umm yesterday in the amain when I was up by nearly 2 laps.. on the field, ohh and then a second time in the same amain!! You've got to be kidding!! Deans are all out the door, well I'll just give them to my brother.. but my 1/8 scale are all going to ec5 I mean common 5mm bullets are just awesome compared to deans, ec3, and those xt60's. MMM in my 8ight-e and 8ight-te
Old 05-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
Real deans won't melt, they just come apart from time to time while racing.. like last week in the a-main and umm yesterday in the amain when I was up by nearly 2 laps.. on the field, ohh and then a second time in the same amain!! You've got to be kidding!! Deans are all out the door, well I'll just give them to my brother.. but my 1/8 scale are all going to ec5 I mean common 5mm bullets are just awesome compared to deans, ec3, and those xt60's. MMM in my 8ight-e and 8ight-te
So apparently I'm not the only one that is having problems with them coming unplugged. I have resorted to a quick wrap with electrical tape.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...?catmainid=452

(bottom of page)
Old 05-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Can anyone tell me where to get fake ones? I used to buy dozens of pairs of the knockoffs from HK but they stopped selling them? I use them in everything I've owned including 1/8e buggies/truggies on 6S and never once had a problem.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

I`ve been using Deans ever since I got into this hobby and never had one melt or fall apart in the past 26 years . If you overheat them when soldering the wires I can see it weakening them . I have some on my Losi JRxT and JRxPro and still like new , besides a little dirty .
Old 05-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The EC5 connectors are nice but they don't seem to come apart after assembly. I am currently running the XT60 connectors is my 1/8th scale buggy. They worked well this winter. I have yet to run them on the outdoor track. I'm not expecting any issues. While Amain is a good shop their XT60 connectors are way overpriced. Hobbyking has 5 pair for $3.50 plus shipping. If you want the EC5 connectors Hobbyking also has those for cheap compared to the Losi and other brands.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.