Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Net to RC, I'm looking for a truck (or buggy) >

Net to RC, I'm looking for a truck (or buggy)

Net to RC, I'm looking for a truck (or buggy)

Old 04-26-2004, 12:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default New to RC, I'm looking for a truck (or buggy)

Hey guys, I'm new to RC and I'm looking to get my first truck or buggy. First off, I've got to set a price limit: I want to stay under $200, but I may go up to $300 (and yes, that's for EVERYTHING, not just the kit). I need something that will run on all surfaces, particularly grass, that's where I'll use it the most. I'm open to anything: truck, buggy, gas, electric, mini, ect. I'm thinking the mini-T is a good choice but I'm worried that it may not do so well on grass. What do you guys recommend? Any help or advice is much appreciated, thanks.

And can anyone comment on this?

--> http://www.micromonster.net/micro%20monster%20truck.htm

Last edited by Aaron Waldron; 04-26-2004 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:29 PM
Tech Adept

you can go to ebay or you can go to the rc sell/trade place on this website.

And another thing to think about is if you have a dirt track or dirt lot to race or play around in. Because i bought an RC truck and the track nearest to me is an hour away.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

You probably won't like any micro vehicle for any backyard bashing. They will have a tough time on grass and rocky areas. Mini vehicles are best for indoor action and groomed surfaces.

The best thing to do is go to a website like www.ehobbies.com or www.ultimatehobbies.com and start looking for something you like that fits into your price range. Ultimate Hobbies is selling the Team Losi XXX-T Blue Spec kits for $99.

Traxxas vehicles come ready-to-run and are very cheap. You can see their line of cars and trucks at www.traxxas.com
Old 04-26-2004, 02:36 PM
Tech Adept

Sorry i didnt read the whole thing before i posted.

For grass i would get a 1/10. Mini-t wouldent do much.
Well actualy it depends on the grass.

Gas vehicles have alot of power and speed and is hard to take care of. and you have to buy gass at the hobby store.

Electric is easy to maintain but you have to wait 15 min. for the battary to charge. and the batt. are like $30 - $60.

Trucks are good for jumping because they have a high ride hight.
Althogh i do see buggyies at the track doing all the jumps i do, and alot better because they are really light. I dont know if they bottom out or not.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Aaron. The Traxxas trucks looks pretty nice and affordable. What's the general opinion on the Stampede and Rustler? Also, I checked out that XXX-t Spec kit and it looks interesting, bit I can't find much info on what comes with the kit. Do you have any idea?
Old 04-26-2004, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Dylan - The Traxxas Rustler is the stadium truck..and it's not bad. It's great for bashing around, and the plastic is very durable. The Stampede is the monster truck one..and it's pretty cool for what it is, it's just not as stable, but can handle more backyard terrain than the Rustler can.

http://www.teamlosi.com/kits/XXXTRTR.htm

This is even better than the Spec kit..I didn't realize it was so cheap! You can get a Ready-To-Run XXX-T for less than $300, and its just like the trucks we race. It comes with great JR radio equipment, a GM ESC, and a pre-painted body.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

hmm, i would prolly get a Rustler in that price range. But if you want a really good backyard basher. You will want to spend about 500 bucks. Emaxx. a Emaxx is 350 for the truck it self ( comes RTR just needs batts.). Then about 60 bucks for 2 batts. (needs two because it has dual motors) and a batt charger for about 75 bucks. Thats how much my cost. around 500 bucks. I am new to RC and i think i made the right choice with choosing the emaxx over everything else.

My Emaxx Setup:

2 Venom 3000 nimh batts (30 each, 60 for both)

1 DuraTraxx Intelli Peak Dual Charger (about 80 bucks)

everything else is stock.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

That's true..you can always go the Monster Truck route.

Kyosho makes a new electric monster as well.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:09 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Well, since you stated you only want to spend $300 max on EVERYTHING. you will probably need the following at a minimum

1. Vehicle
2. motor
3. Radio
4. battery packs ( 3 minimum is a good setup )
5. charger

You will probably need other maintenance stuff but I think that covers the major areas.

For the money, maybe you should look into the Duratrax Evader ST? I believe you can get it for about $160 and the only things you would need then are the battery packs and the charger. Should be able to come in easily under your budget range.

If you are bashing, you probably don't need super high end batteries, I think Racer's edge has some 3000 sport packs really cheap.

I would look online like ebay for cheap sport packs, maybe even a charger as well.

Though, buy your vehicle new since this is your first.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:28 PM
Tech Adept

I think you should go for the losi spec kit thing (truck) for $99
unless you dont want to build the kit.

Or the losi XXXT RTR for about $270 New.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:48 AM
Tech Legend

for the losi spec kit which is a good choice two, I think the prices will break down something like this ( assuming everything you buy is new )

1. losi XXX-T spec kit $99
2. Duratrax streak esc $40
3. Tower Radio ( or equivalent ) $40 - $50
4. MRC 959 charger $50
5. 3 sport packs ( 1500 mah epics ) $30
6. Motor - ( stock or light mod ) $20 - $30

that will get you close to $300. The RTR may be a better way to go as you will spend about $80 more over the cost for your charger and battery but you get a really nice radio.

If it was me, ebay would be seeing me there
Old 04-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Cain, thanks for setting that up for me. I have realized, since I made the first post, that I'm going to need to spend more money. So, I'm willing to go up to $450. I'm still considering the XXX-T and the RC10T4. Or, I may go nitro and get a T-maxx. Decisions...decisions...
Old 04-30-2004, 05:32 AM
Tech Legend

$450 is a much better price range.

Nitro is not my forte, living in an apartment doesn't really lend itself to tuning a gas engine.

As for electric truck, I have owned the T4 and have competed against the XXX-T. Both are good trucks so you really can't go wrong with either except that a new XXX-T is coming out with more than cosmetic changes. If you want the most current technology, the T4 would be the best bet, when the new losi comes out and they trickle the changes made down to the other versions ( I don't think they even make the standard XXX-T anymore? ) then it will be more even.

If you get a T4 and really want that basher feel, pickup some IMEX G-Dawg tires, and get some Proline 1 piece foams to put inside it ( the foams that come with it are crappy ), these tires really give you some good ground clearance and make a great all terrain vehicle so you don't burn up your good tires.

This is what I did when I had a T4 and was really happy with it. Other than this buy the heavy duty servo spring right away and an aluminum front hingepin brace ( the trinity one will work also ) and you should be all set for the T4.

Will you do any racing?