Community
Wiki Posts
Search

slash 2wd gearing / other slash racers

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Default slash 2wd gearing / other slash racers

hey ive been told, that the guys here in indiana r running a 91t spur and 21t pinion, i looked into getting that spur gear, and found out its metal ive had some people tell to stay away from metal gears in the truck it would cause damage, is this so... so im looking for people who run the traxxas slash for racing here in indiana or surrounding states and what there set ups r for there truck im currently setup as a 90t and 25 t dont know if that is over geared or not havent been able to get to the truck do to weather so any tips and info would help guys, wanting to race it..... would you run lipos in the truck and if so which one and or run a higher 7 cell mah battery... just asking
Old 05-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Not sure if you only wanted IN people to reply but I'm going to anyway.

DEFINITELY STAY AWAY FROM METAL SPUR GEARS ON THE SLASH!!!

If you set your mesh right you will not chew through many plastic spurs and when you do its far cheaper to buy a $3 gear and undo 5 screws and 1 nut to change as opposed to ripping your tranny apart to replace a blown diff gear or otherwise. You always need a weak point on any vehicle and its best to have the spur be it. I promise.

As for gearing 25/90 is a little odd but I wouldn't say overgeared. What size track?
What you may want to look into doing is changing to 32P gears. The Jato/Revo spur gears are a direct bolt on. The bigger teeth allow for less stripping and more gear choices. It also tends to run a tad warmer though so be careful. To answer your last question, Lipos are ALWAYS better than Nimh batteries. For racing the first 2 or 3 laps you may have an edge running 7 cell Nimh (if your track allows it) but in the end the lipo will hold its power much better and be faster.

hope this helps.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Size of track is critical to proper gearing. I run three different tracks and depending on which one (they are all different sizes) I run 18, 21, or 23 pinion with a 90 spur. 18 is for track that has a lot of short runs and the 23 for a track with a long straight and not too many turns. The 21 is for a track that is a combo of the other two.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Default slash

ok thanks for the info on the gearing didnt know we could run 32p on the truck the track ive been practicing on is a small oval with 4 jumps in it i did order a 21t pinion i will try it with the 90 spur... thanks guys for the help
Old 05-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

I run 19t on stock 86 spur in indiana. I would run 20t for a 90 spur.