Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
The Associated 8 Scale race, Defining how 8 scale should be run? >

The Associated 8 Scale race, Defining how 8 scale should be run?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Associated 8 Scale race, Defining how 8 scale should be run?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default The Associated 8 Scale race, Defining how 8 scale should be run?

This coming weekend is the Team Associated Electric 1/8th Scale Indoor Championships at OCRC. I got a few things though...

Whos going? I know there is gonna be some heavy hitters for the Expert 8 scale class (hartson, Root, Jarosz, Dunford, Korts... ) but whos going for sportsman and amateur?

Also, since the 8 scale race at Rev was kind of a bust especially since they said its gonna be ROAR rules then they didnt, then they did, and so on and so forth, is this gonna be the race that sets the 8 scale battery/motor standard? The track is huge so... I mean the class has kind of been more of exhibition at 10th scale races and nitro races then anything and now this one is giving the class its own race.

Last edited by wayboarder; 04-19-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I think the bigger question is what direction will the class go in terms of mains. Will it go towards long 30 minute mains w/ mild setups or will it go to lights out 10 minute mains? I think you will see one crowd that wants to run long mains with the nitros and another that wants to run blazing fast.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

my vote is for a electric friendly triple A mains at 10 minutes a pop.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

I say 30min for 8E is BS...

Dont see the point at all.

3x10 minutes seems best to me.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wayboarder
my vote is for a electric friendly triple A mains at 10 minutes a pop.
+1
Old 04-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Tech Regular

Here is the info for the race.

Attached Thumbnails The Associated 8 Scale race, Defining how 8 scale should be run?-associated_championships.jpg  
Old 04-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wayboarder
This coming weekend is the Team Associated Electric 1/8th Scale Indoor Championships at OCRC. I got a few things though...

Whos going? I know there is gonna be some heavy hitters for the Expert 8 scale class (hartson, Root, Jarosz, Dunford, Korts... ) but whos going for sportsman and amateur?

Also, since the 8 scale race at Rev was kind of a bust especially since they said its gonna be ROAR rules then they didnt, then they did, and so on and so forth, is this gonna be the race that sets the 8 scale battery/motor standard? The track is huge so... I mean the class has kind of been more of exhibition at 10th scale races and nitro races then anything and now this one is giving the class its own race.

well this is a good question!!
if it will be run like the "OCRC Points series" then it will be a bad idea!!!!(i am still getting emails on WHY i ran tuggy? in sportsman)
on the other hand if run with "Strict Rules"with exact defintions stated,then probally be pretty good!!
battery and motor thing at OCRC is "Blown out" be hard if not "Impossable" to regulate this...because it's not as Strict as "Nitro"
where you have a .21 or a .28 motors.

30 min mains be a bad idea, those that would want that would be those that are looking for an easy "Win" against those that they know probally could not make a 30 min run?
the AAA main format be best with 10 minute mains, mentioned it in the ad as well i believe?
on a note on the batteries? well thinking on that be kinda tough as well?
if running "ROAR Rules" then 90% would not be able to do it?
there only be the "Factory Class" cause they get there batteries for FREE.
because not too many will pay 230.00+ on a li-po pack when they can get a non-roar aproved pack for 39.00 !!!!
so theres a tough one if they were going to go by strict roar rules?
i am sure they will be kinda "Laxed" a little here so it wont be so bad i think RB will be pretty cool on that one

for classes? there is another good question! well i for one am not "Expert" though some seem to think i am? (Thanks )
but i am "Sportsman" i buy my stuff and have no sponsors!!
and being "Half Blind" makes it tough to run at expert level
so i am running "Sportsman" but if my times where "Within" the top 4 in the expert buggy or Truggy(+/- .005 sec) then yes i would "Expect them to bump me up to the expert classes "AFTER" my qualifing,

now at the 1/8 scale Electric Nationals at Revelation back in November they had 2 battery classes? there was an Open,and the ROAR class,in the open you could run anything,3,4 or 5 cell but there was only a 7min qualifier 10 minute single main.
in the roar class you could run 3S or the MAX 4S, 5 and 6 cells wernt allowed....with the same 7 min. Qual. and 10 min. main.

but overall i think sounds like a cool race,if there arent "Wierd Restrictions"
Old 04-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

I think I will be there...should be a lot of fun. Hopefully there will be a good turnout.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I personally like 15 minute mains. 10 is just too easy to finish. I wouldn't mind seeing a 30 minute main where you have to swap batteries. It could easily be done with two 5000 packs.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

10 minutes was difficult to finish. I ended up dropping from 8th place down to 10 because I couldnt finish a 10 minute with a 2650 on 3s. Yes understandable it was the wrong setup but when your in the A-Main and your racing against RB, Casper, Olson, McMoney, and the like (the humans, im not even mentioning the non humans, hartson, root, kortz), you need that kind of power otherwise these guys are gonna leave you in the dust. Were not talking about your average bucky that can easily make 15 minutes because they aren't wasting mAh while they are on their lid. These guys in the A main at the JBRL as well as this upcoming race will put in 28 laps in 10 minutes with a fast lap of mid to low 20's and the slowest of laps in the mid 21's. You crash your in the back of the pack, you crash twice = race over. So in these races mAH are being used and i dont see 15 minutes being feasible while still maintaining fast laps for a non sponsored "PRO" or "expert." I learned my lesson and am now on 4s 5k's on a tekin 1900 and can now easily make 10, but the way these are driven to stay competitive, i still dont think 15 minutes is feasible with that setup, and before anyone says run the higher mAH batteries , Sorry, but all of these cars drive like crap with all that weight!
Old 04-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

When was this race posted? Wish I knew about this race a month ago.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

It is not supposed to be difficult to finish a race based on run time. The last electric class where that was a factor was 1/12 scale carpet back when batteries were 2000mah and less (8 minutes modified). It was interesting for the purists but it didn't serve the majority of racers and it's always been a fringe class.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

I think a 8-10 minute main would be good. Like some of the previous posts said, the cars would not work as well when you have to run a brick as a battery pack. On a regular club night at OCRC the mains last 7 minutes which I feel is a good compromise for the racers...you don't neccessarily need to have mega mAh rated batteries to make it. When you start getting to 10 minute mains, on a high traction track, batteries and gearing play a larger role...especially when your running against the SoCal fast guys. I wish I could run a 15 or 20 minute main with the gas guys at ARC, but it's just not feasible with 5000 - 5400 packs. Maybe 6000 or 7000 mAh packs would work, but I'm not interested in paying that kind of money! Plus I'm sure motors and esc's would burn up...nobody wants that, this sport is way too expensive to begin with!!
Old 04-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

you can easily make 15 minutes on 6s 3000-4000mah. I don't understand why any of the socal guys aren't running this type of set up yet it's lighter, and cooler running then 4s hardcase. when I was in socal for the roar race(also ran at ocrc and wcrcr) everyone was running 3s and 4s which are battery eaters!
Old 04-20-2010, 11:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by nv529
you can easily make 15 minutes on 6s 3000-4000mah. I don't understand why any of the socal guys aren't running this type of set up yet it's lighter, and cooler running then 4s hardcase. when I was in socal for the roar race(also ran at ocrc and wcrcr) everyone was running 3s and 4s which are battery eaters!
Cost, the reason 4s is ruling out is just about everyone that I know that runs the 8 scales also run 10th scale and its way easier to buy a couple batteries that can be run in all of your cars for racing (2 2s hard packs) that are hardcase and Roar legal. That and the majority of the cars kitted battery trays were designed with the 2x 2s packs in mind. Makes things way easy. In order to run 6s indoors at either track would require a tiny tiny motor that not many shops have available or run one of those LRP vector 8 tenth scale motors, aka stock 8 scale motor to run at a usable speed.

heres a few qualifying runs from last weekends JBRL race. The JBRL was the 8 scale race warm up

following Korts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDg-8hY2OwM

following Root with Barry "the fabulous one" Baker announcing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMFtaJyb6Ps

Last edited by wayboarder; 04-20-2010 at 11:51 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.