Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help setting up a 3PM-FS radio for an HPI blitz

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 10:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Need help setting up a 3PM-FS radio for an HPI blitz

First, let me say i'm new to the hobby. So I know little of what I am doing. But the situation is I have a second hand 3pm-FS Futaba transmitter I got for a good price, and I am trying to get running with my HPI Blitz. I switched the futaba r133F reciever from another car that was running it. Everything is connected correctly, I double checked. This is being ran with the stock SC15 ESC, could there be a compatibility issue here? What should be the first thing to check? I must be overlooking something here. Thanks for your patience with my lack of knowledge, and any input is appreciated. Need to troubleshoot this mess.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Tech Initiate

bump please help
Old 04-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

It should work just fine, as long as there is nothing wrong with the radio and receiver. Just install the receiver, turn on radio and the turn on the ESC. The ESC binds (sets up to the receiver) to the receiver each time you turn on the ESC. Should work just fine. I run my blitz with a 3PKS.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Well, i'm thinking it may be a frequency issue. I don't know how to set it accordingly. They receiver says 12. But when I try to change it on the transmitter it can only do 10,30 ext. How do I resolve this? Can I set it specifically to 12?
Old 04-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Aaah. I wonder why it won't bind.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Are you trying to use that transmitter with the stock blitz receiver? That won't work. The receiver is AM and I believe the transmitter you have is FM. Even amongst FM radios, there is positive shift and negative shift. I don't know that radio to know if it is synthesized or uses crystals. You need a futaba receiver though.

If you need a Blitz stock transmitter, I have one that I can let you have for $15 shipped. I can throw in a matching receiver crystal.

PM me if you're interested.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by chiro972
Are you trying to use that transmitter with the stock blitz receiver? That won't work. The receiver is AM and I believe the transmitter you have is FM. Even amongst FM radios, there is positive shift and negative shift. I don't know that radio to know if it is synthesized or uses crystals. You need a futaba receiver though.

If you need a Blitz stock transmitter, I have one that I can let you have for $15 shipped. I can throw in a matching receiver crystal.

PM me if you're interested.
I am using a futaba r133F reciever. So there should be no reason it shouldn't work then? I've tested a servo with it and got it to respond, but the blitz esc won't bind.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Also, my ESC has a blinking light on it. I googled the problem and it seems maybe calibrating the ESC the the new receiver would fix it. But I can't find information anywhere to do so.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Omyroar
Also, my ESC has a blinking light on it. I googled the problem and it seems maybe calibrating the ESC the the new receiver would fix it. But I can't find information anywhere to do so.
I never used the stock blitz esc, but it is supposed to auto calibrate when you plug it in.

Maybe bad ESC? Call HPI, their tech support is supposed to be pretty good.

I just looked up that receiver. It uses crystals, so what channel does the crystal in the receiver say it is? The transmitter is synthesized, so it should be able to dial the same channel as the receiver. I did also see that it can come in 27 MHz as well as 75 MHz, so if you can't dial the transmitter to the same channel, you might have a mismatch there as well.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by chiro972
I never used the stock blitz esc, but it is supposed to auto calibrate when you plug it in.

Maybe bad ESC? Call HPI, their tech support is supposed to be pretty good.

I just looked up that receiver. It uses crystals, so what channel does the crystal in the receiver say it is? The transmitter is synthesized, so it should be able to dial the same channel as the receiver. I did also see that it can come in 27 MHz as well as 75 MHz, so if you can't dial the transmitter to the same channel, you might have a mismatch there as well.
The crystal says it is set to twelve. Hmmm, well the receiver and the transmitter were working together and when I switched it from another car thats when the problems started arising.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Omyroar
The crystal says it is set to twelve. Hmmm, well the receiver and the transmitter were working together and when I switched it from another car thats when the problems started arising.
I've never heard of 12. There are 8 channels on 27MHz and 12 isn't one of them. The transmitter should be able to do 1-8 I believe or 60 something to 90 something if it is 75MHz. Something isn't right here.