R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   I have a question for you Losi guys! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/38809-i-have-question-you-losi-guys.html)

LosiFromHell986 04-20-2004 05:04 PM

I have a question for you Losi guys!

OK guys, I'll admit it. Those of you who said to stay with electric were right. I don't like nitro. I'm still 30 bucks in debt with my parents because of it, it's got more down time on it than run time... and at the same time it's draining me of any money that could finance my electric trucks...

but anyways. moving on.

I'm thinking of selling my gas car and with the money i get, buying a XXXT Spec from ultimate hobbies for 99 bucks... how are the specs?

If I do this, I'm hoping to get around 200 for the car rtr with a little less than a gallon through it, includes a fuel bottle, alkaline C Glow starter...

so ruling out at least 120 for shipping and everything, any suggestions for a radio, esc or motor? this car I might get racing...

Thanks

AE Racer 04-20-2004 07:31 PM

I dont think the spec kits have bearings.

hobbipro 04-20-2004 07:52 PM

I do believe the spec does come with bearings in the tranny only, so that only leaves the front wheels and rear hubs to add bearings to. Its a pretty good buy at ultimate hobbies, even free shipping. Since your on a budget it will be up to you to decide how much you want to unload on a radio system, but a piece of advise..... a good computer radio with a few model memories will last a good couple of years. JR XR2, or XR3 are very popular around here, airtronics MX3 is another great radio. As far as motors you'll probably want to go stock for now, P2k2, monster stock, Orion core, peak hellfire are very good choices for motors. For speedos it will all be determined by budget, and how much motor (will you ever run mods?) you plan to stick in it, Durtrax Intellispeed speedo's are by far the biggest bang for the buck right now, I'm using a 8T Pro in my XXX-T and its just as good as my GT7, Quantum ESC. Last but not least, a good budget charger may be the duratrax line as well.....Just check out www.towerhobbies.com, they seem to have a wide variety of electronics and stuff to get you going.

LosiFromHell986 04-21-2004 09:03 PM

Thanks guys

It doesnt matter about the bushing thing because i have tons of extra bearings so i'm set! even for losi trannies!

does the XXXT Spec have any graphite or just plastic? No big deal, just curious....

Aaron Waldron 04-21-2004 09:11 PM

It's the stock Losi Stiffezel plastic.

jamiekulhanek 04-21-2004 09:56 PM

Maintainence is the most important thing in keeping nitro car costs down. Ive gone through a list of parts as long as my arm (thank god my lhs stocks alot of kyosho) and still i get caught out by surprise.

i.e. yesterday the circlip on the engine shaft came off, and I lost the bearing, thrust washer and the clip. nobody sees these things coming.

Due to the higher power output of nitro engines, things tend to wear fast.

I have a reputation for breaking everything i buy, but ive never broken my nitro buggy by crashing, it just won't break.

Make sure all the bolts are tight and threadlocked, this can be a major problem, especially if the bolts holding the engine come loose, this saw the end of my stock plastic clutch and the spur gear. I bought an upgrade clutch set and now tighten the bolts after about every 2 tanks.

Some stock clutch shoes suck, they melt replace 'em asap.

Keep the car clean and maintained, keep the oil shocks clean and full of the correct fluid, lube bushings/bearings keep the engine a few clicks or about 10-15 degrees richer than the highest performance setting. This may help midrange power delivery and give you longer engine life. Replace broken parts as soon as you can.
Also obviously a .10, .12, or .15 engine is gonna use less fuel and cost less to run than a .21 or .26.

Electric off road has had it's day for me....i love my nitro buggy to bits.

My question is what problems are you having??

LosiFromHell986 04-22-2004 05:01 PM

thanks Aaron

Jamie: At the moment I am having a slight Glitch problem which if I drive right next to me the car spazzes out and takes off until its... oh... maybe 25 feet away from me, then its fine. then if you're past 50 feet from me it goes runaway... new I could go halfway up my street which is probably 100 feet..

It's also a Pain in the @$$ to keep tuned...

And to me, driving it where i drive my cars, its just not as fun because it's really uncontrollable with all the tires i own, even tires made for snow(no snow in san diego, i made em for when i go to my cousin's in the mountains, his pond is always froze over so we race on it). I mean, it CAREENS down the downhill section and is WAY too fast for any jumps around me... It overshoots all the jumps at this place!

All in all I just think electric is more my thing than nitro

LosiFromHell986 04-26-2004 08:52 PM

Does anyone know where I can even find specs on the Losi site? I cant even find the XXXT Spec page, yet I can find the JRXT pages.... :confused:

Aaron Waldron 04-26-2004 09:05 PM

I couldn't find the Spec truck pages either..I know the kit has been discontinued for a while though.

I did find today that the RTR kit is less than $300..if you're having radio problems with your current car, maybe it's best to sell everything and start over.

hobbipro 04-27-2004 07:00 AM

I'm not sure what spec's you are looking for but the XXXT came out first, then the XXXT spec truck was next (basically a XXXT with blue tires, and blue plastic pieces without bearings, except tranny) Then the XXXT G+ Francis edition. The original XXXT and Spec were (theoretically) disscontinued, But then losi re-released the original XXXT as a RTR. So the truck has actually never been out of production, just repackaged. Parts support has never been a problem since all the XXXT trucks share the same parts,gears ect. I think originally The XXXT was around $200, while the spec was around $130-$150 (not 100%) and XXXT G+ $250. There are still some XXXT and XXXT spec trucks still floating around on some of the online hobby stores and I'm sure they are wanting to make deals to get these kits to move off there shelves.

dylan-d 04-27-2004 08:16 AM

What excatly comes in the blue spec kit? What will I have to buy to get it running?

hobbipro 04-27-2004 08:57 AM

Just with most losi kits, you will need a radio system, electronic speed control, motor, 6 cell battery and a charger for the battery.

LosiFromHell986 04-27-2004 04:41 PM

The Bearing thing as I think I said isn't a problem, I have TONS....

So wait, the XXXT Specs on Ultimate Hobbies are just leftovers? :eek: I need to get one soon huh?

hobbipro 04-27-2004 04:58 PM

Yes, leftovers thats why it is marked down so low. Actually, I dont think ultimate is dealing much with losi anymore they use to have more losi stuff on hand. Give them a call maybe they'll take an extra $5-$10 off to get it off there shelf.

LosiFromHell986 04-27-2004 06:07 PM

ok good idea hobbipro

if I can't get a Spec, I'm not going to get a XXXT because they're so damn expensive for just a kit!

Dylan-d: If you're a beginner (I'm gunna get beat down for saying this) I'd DEFINATELY go with a RC10T3... and if you're a noob, perhaps the RTR version... I have one and for 2 years I have yet to break any arms, shocks, towers(well... cracked the rear one in a bad endo; got a Graphite one and never happened again), etc