Wiki Posts
Search

Best motor and turns for open SCT

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 10:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default Best motor and turns for open SCT

Going to try out open SC with my slash...slash body anyway Last needed item is a motor. I have heard a 6.5-8.5t works well.
How many turns would you run and who do you think makes the best motor?
Thx
Old 03-31-2010, 11:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yeti AS3
Going to try out open SC with my slash...slash body anyway Last needed item is a motor. I have heard a 6.5-8.5t works well.
Thx
I use a 8.5 Redline in my SC10, more than enough. I was using a 5700 MM and while it was fun, I turn better lap times with the 8.5... 6.5 will be like the 5700, very fast and tons of wheel spin.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thx
How big is your track? Indoor or outdoor? Are you running 2wd of 4wd?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:17 PM
Tech Addict

Motor size also depends on what kind of track you'll be running on. I'm running a 10.5 novak in an SC10 on a reasonably tight dusty track. The only time I can even think of anything more than half throttle is when going down the straight. And then it has to be done slowly, otherwise the rear will step out.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:27 AM
Tech Regular

i have my slash with 13.5t cps thats the limit and the class i'm in. well, the track is pretty big but really dusty so even with 13.5t it will spin out easily in corners. just sharing ideas...
Old 04-01-2010, 05:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by snowboard094
How big is your track? Indoor or outdoor? Are you running 2wd of 4wd?
Good call Indoor, clay and 2wd. Seems bigger than most I have seen for SCT. Here's a link to a vid of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSiZ8HTRgM8 Setup so far is Xtreme LCG CF chassis, Powerstrokes, Protrac suspension, Bowties and Mamba Max Pro. Servo to come soon.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Good call Indoor, clay and 2wd. Seems bigger than most I have seen for SCT. Here's a link to a vid of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSiZ8HTRgM8 Setup so far is Xtreme LCG CF chassis, Powerstrokes, Protrac suspension, Bowties and Mamba Max Pro. Servo to come soon.
That IS a big indoor track! That track looked incredible and well maintained, I'm jealous! We run on a similar surface indoor track that is much smaller. Our is a clay track with a ton of bite. Most people run shadow pins or slicks depending on the temperature.

I use an 8.5T in my SC10 and I rarely get past half throttle. However, I really prefer the punch of the bigger motor darting from turn to turn. I don't care how low you gear a smaller turn motor, you just can't achieve the same punch of the bigger motor.

With that being said, I'd say a 7.5 or 8.5 turn motor would work well on that track. You may even be able to use a 6.5 turn motor, but you'd better have great throttle control if you're going to go that low.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would get a 6.5 sensored motor from tekin. Set the punch control to around 20% (depending on driving capabilities). That track looks pretty big so the 6.5 will work great.