Wiki Posts
Search

Taping tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Taping tires

Does everyone tape their tires?? I am trying to tape up a set of 40 series bow ties and it sucks. I am trying to get two good strips but for the life of me I can not keep the strips straight. I feel like I am trying to steer the tape towards the side walls constantly cause very bad wrinkles. Any hints or tips?

Anyone ever try taping in strips from side wall to side wall? Overlaping each piece creating small ribs going from side to side. Just wondering.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just be very patient and start perfectly centered, and make sure the tire isn't aimed off center before you stick it down. Also make sure the tire stays vertical (don't let it lean) as you roll it down the tape.

I use gorilla tape, and only overlap it about an inch on the inside. I don't think I'd trust plain duct tape to stick for the entire life of the tire.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

the easiest way would be to turn the tires inside out, i use 2in. straping tape. works like a charm and keeps the tires from balloning