Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Zippy flightmax lipo damaging c.creations v3 speedo?? >

Zippy flightmax lipo damaging c.creations v3 speedo??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Zippy flightmax lipo damaging c.creations v3 speedo??

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Zippy flightmax lipo damaging c.creations v3 speedo??

Help me out guys please, is there any evidence of a zippy flightmax lipo causing a castle creations v3 speedo to fail?
any of you guys experienced this?
Old 03-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Batteries cannot damage speed controls provided they are connected with correct polarity and are not above the speed control's rated voltage.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Davidka
Batteries cannot damage speed controls provided they are connected with correct polarity and are not above the speed control's rated voltage.
That is NOT what the people from Castle say. They at first mentioned the Zippy/Flightmax by name but now just say not to use cheap low quality packs. They claim there is a ripple effect that damages the speed controls.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Tech Lord

"ripple" effect? That's BS. Voltage is voltage. The Zippy packs are proven many times over in the airplane/helicopter markets where batteries are used WAY harder than they are in cars. Castle is ducking.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

To be honest nowadays the Flightmax 30C+ packs are just as good as more expensive packs. I understand them saying that about a year ago but these packs are now up there with the best.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:28 AM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default ripple?????

I know nipple what is ripple?
Old 03-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Batteries failing to deliver the demanded current for a system definatly seem a possible reason for failure if you ask me.

voltage dropping to much is very bad for the system.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
"ripple" effect? That's BS. Voltage is voltage. The Zippy packs are proven many times over in the airplane/helicopter markets where batteries are used WAY harder than they are in cars. Castle is ducking.
+1
Old 03-28-2010, 10:42 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by UK.hardcore
Batteries failing to deliver the demanded current for a system definatly seem a possible reason for failure if you ask me.

voltage dropping to much is very bad for the system.
Doesn't happen. If it did, brushless' reputation for reliability would've been destroyed back before we used lipo. Anything less than a very good NiMh battery would have far greater voltage drop under load than a low end lipo pack.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

In all honesty I dont totally understand it enough to debate it adequately or even totally explain the ripple effect. I know it has to do with the ESC trying to feed voltage back into the battery during braking. You can call it BS I am not going to argue it but I do trust the people from Castle and they are rather serious about it.

I've seen too many issues all around with all the Zippy/Flightmax/Turnigy packs for my liking and avoid them myself.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Yes, I think everyone should avoid the packs. LOL. That way they don't fly out of stock so fast when they come in and I have a better chance of getting more . Anybody avoiding these packs must not have used, nor seen them in use yet. Just my opinion.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have used these packs for a little over a year now and they are still going strong as are my 2 mamba max , my 2 sidewinders and my mmm. has anybody else noticed rc car action using the hardcase zippy 2s batteries and a mmp as test equipment on the xray t3 in the may 2010 issue?
Old 03-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Unless HK wired up a pack backwards or miscolored the wires it won't hurt it. As Davidka said, unless you are running perfect matched Nimh cells, the voltage "ripple" created by them will do far more damage than any lipo. All CC says last I looked is to not use packs rated for less than 75amps CONTINUOUS discharge.

The ESC can't handle surges in power going up and down drastically. Zippy packs don't do this and they've been tested over and over. Keep supporting companies that blindly rip you off like MaxAmps, Reedy, etc and let the rest of us enjoy $18 packs and $20 chargers that perform as well as or better than anything else on the market.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gapjr
Yes, I think everyone should avoid the packs. LOL. That way they don't fly out of stock so fast when they come in and I have a better chance of getting more . Anybody avoiding these packs must not have used, nor seen them in use yet. Just my opinion.
+1 I heard it like this "Don't knock it until you've tried it". I've seen one of the highly acclaimed SMC packs puff like a bag of microwave popcorn. It was a 4S 5000ish 40C. Thats 200amps contiuous capability, or supposed to be! Theres no way you can pull 200+ amps continuously without burning up a motor or esc, must have been an overated pack?? I'll stick with Turnigy/Flightmax.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brofroe
+1 I heard it like this "Don't knock it until you've tried it". I've seen one of the highly acclaimed SMC packs puff like a bag of microwave popcorn. It was a 4S 5000ish 40C. Thats 200amps contiuous capability, or supposed to be! Theres no way you can pull 200+ amps continuously without burning up a motor or esc, must have been an overated pack?? I'll stick with Turnigy/Flightmax.
ive ran both turnigy and flightmax all last year ..if you dont balance your pack ..its your own fault what happens...they get out of balance ...so i balance charge mine everytime

Last edited by oneblackram; 03-28-2010 at 04:49 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.