Wiki Posts
Search

Outdoor clay track prep?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default Outdoor clay track prep?

Hi do any of you have any tip on care of the track or add'ing some traction to it? we don't easily have access to a hose or really much water at all. any tips would be helpfull.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:51 PM
Suspended

Your going to need water for your clay track...Your also going to need an "assfault" compactor (with the vibrating steel plate) to pack your track. Clay is tricky to work with and impossible if you cant get water to it.

Work on bringing a water supply to your track first.

After this happens, then you will need to keep it watered on the edges during the day, and really soak it every night to keep it "maintained".

Hope this gets you started...

GB
Old 04-16-2004, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Hi sorry should mean more of a upkeep kind of thing the track was built 3 years ago. i wanted more info on stuff like oiling the track.

here is a pic of the track

http://www.pureoc.d2g.com/uploaded_images/14026.jpg
Old 04-17-2004, 05:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

You could add calcium cloride to it. It's used mainly in pool water to harden the water. It really works good. We started using it at are track and it has grooved the track so nice.There is not an issue with dust anymore. Just blow it off and wet the edges.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:49 PM
Tech Elite

Were can i get this stuff just at a pool place? how do you put it on spray, poor and sweep i would like to know willing to try just about anything
Old 04-18-2004, 02:58 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Gabe Boudreau
"assfault" compactor

Dude, you're a legend. I don't usually pickup spelling but this is just plain funny. I've got a fault with my ass (arse)... and I'll leave the rest to the imagination...

asphalt

Cracked me up...
Old 04-21-2004, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Anyone else got any tips?
Old 04-21-2004, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

I've heard of tracks in the Ohio and Indiana area adding sawdust to their dirt and mixing it in to help it hold water.

Either way you look at it, you're really going to need water to make your track any good. It's hard (read: impossible) to work with dry dirt, and not many tracks have good enough dirt to be able to groove up and stay smooth for any length of time.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:54 PM
Tech Elite

Yea i understand that but dirt and clay are different to work with are they not?

We do have water but not to keep it watered everyday. our track has been run on for 3 years in the pic above it is holding up fine but i wanted to see if there was tips on making it better.

I would like more info on the tips i have been given from more people, but i dont think many people on the forum are the ones doing the work on the tracks , not saying that as a bad thing
Old 04-22-2004, 03:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by pistolpete
You could add calcium cloride to it. It's used mainly in pool water to harden the water. It really works good. We started using it at are track and it has grooved the track so nice.There is not an issue with dust anymore. Just blow it off and wet the edges.
Can you please explain how you add calcium cloride? Do you simply put it on top of the track's surface or do you mix it with the dirt and how?
Thanks,
John.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

snopro - I meant clay..a lot of tracks East of the Mississippi use that really cool clay they have back there.

Doucakis - It works best with a roto-tiller..sprinkle the stuff as you go, and mix it into the dirt really well.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Ok so basicly if these other tips dont work , your telling me to find a way to get more water to the track.
Have any of the tracks you raced at used any of these tips?

P.s. Thanks for all the help so far
Old 04-22-2004, 10:07 PM
Tech Elite

Water is the best thing for any track..it helps the dirt hold together, keeps the traction up, and makes it easier to work with.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

for clay.. water is very important.. it depends on the status of the track right now.. is it settled in?? and drivable??

for how to water (if you obtain water) water lightly first.. let is sit for 30 minutes.. then water heavily.. it will retain it's water very well and as it cools down.. if you're racing at night.. the water comes back up and keeps it tacky..

if you can't water.. you sweep.. use a regular shop broom.. or 2 or 3.. with helpers and sweep the driving lane.. even if it's rough.. a dry swept clay track has mad traction..
Old 04-24-2004, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I would also suggest "NOT" using calcium choride.. it is corosive... use magnesium chloride

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.