Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 scale short course conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 1/8 scale short course conversion

I have seen it on the forum before 1/8 scale buggies converted to short course trucks, but does it actual work to run with the tenth scales if you can only run a 2 or 3 cell? The weight must kill them on th track. Anybody do one and try to run it on a 2 or 3 cell? Is it even compeditive?
Old 03-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

I will comment from my perspective from our testing at Caster Racing. We designed the 748 fusion as a great entry level starter racer. (The 748 is a rtr fusion buggy with a charger and a 5000mah battery and a jumper for the esc) Then when they progress, they add an additional battery and then it is a normal 14.8 volt car. (Perfect for the beginner to 1/8 racing)

Back to subject, a 1/8 buggy running a hobbywing esc and a 1880kv motor with a 12 or 13 tooth pinion will be slightly faster than a slash or any of the others in regards to acceleration and speed. However, due to the handling, any buggy will walk away from those vehicles once on a track due to the design differences even at the lower voltage. Once you put a corr truck body on, there isn't much of a weight gain. We use different towers that are negligibly heavier and wheels that are slightly less weight for testing purposes. Adding bumpers does add some weight, but once again nothing to worry about.

If you run a 3 cell setup, there is no way they can compete, unless they are also running modified setups.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by All in
I have seen it on the forum before 1/8 scale buggies converted to short course trucks, but does it actual work to run with the tenth scales if you can only run a 2 or 3 cell? The weight must kill them on th track. Anybody do one and try to run it on a 2 or 3 cell? Is it even compeditive?
most tracks here won't allow you to run 1/8th conversions with the 1/10th's and what Hak said is true they are superior handling wise to the 1/10th's..Depending on your motor and track size a 3s is more than enough power. I don't know about 2s. I think it sucks to have a 1/8th conversion because there is no class for it but maybe if you get enough people with them then your track could form a class for them!