NOT HAPPY WITH TEAM ASSOCIATED

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NOT HAPPY WITH TEAM ASSOCIATED

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Tech Adept

I've used both Reedy and Orion packs and they both Rock! My Reedy packs are for 8th Scale E-Buggy racing while my Orion packs are for my 1/10th scale kits. Two Orion packs have ballooned on me but none of the Reedy packs have yet... and I believe I've had them for about 10 months now. Kudos to AE for finding a very good supplier of LiPos for their Reedy line...
Old 03-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

AE has included a charge lead, something you don't get with most other batteries of this type, and states in the owners manual that it's a charge lead. What else should they do, except to not include a charge lead, to make this any clearer? I do feel bad for the OP as I have done dumb stuff too, almost daily, and it sucks to be out hard earned money but in this case I don't see why this should be AE/Reedy's problem. READ THE OWNERS MANUAL.......
Old 03-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just for the record I know 6 people in my area that had problems with the 5000 packs. Some were beginners some pro. They all received the same responses from AE... we took your money and now you are on your own. All of these batteries are now in the trash not to mention the bitter taste in mouths. You will not see these packs at our tracks or on the shelf at our LHS, that is just how it works.
I just think AE could have handled this obvious problem a little better. Too late now.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Justin B
AE has included a charge lead, something you don't get with most other batteries of this type, and states in the owners manual that it's a charge lead. What else should they do, except to not include a charge lead, to make this any clearer? I do feel bad for the OP as I have done dumb stuff too, almost daily, and it sucks to be out hard earned money but in this case I don't see why this should be AE/Reedy's problem. READ THE OWNERS MANUAL.......
I didn't use the " charging lead" and mine still did it.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I have owned 6 AE cars from the original RC10 to B4, I have found most times that operator error is to blame. Not saying that malfitting pafrts or bad electronics don't happen. When talking to a company, keep your cool and they will be more respnsive. No one likes to be yelled at our degraded. And if it doesn't get resolved, check it off to not using said company again. Thanks Rick H. for coming on here and trying to help.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Agreed

Originally Posted by Wease
Normally I would agree that the original poster didn't read the directions and thus it was his fault. But, allow me to play devils advocate for just a moment.

I've used Lipo batteries for several years now. A battery in an of itself has a limited number of functions. You charge them, you balance them, you discharge/use them. If you've used Lipo's before you already know how to charge them and the danger's etc. So when I get a new Lipo battery, I pretty much feel like I know exactly how to use it. It's not like buying a new ESC with 100 new features and functions and is completely different than my old ESC. In the case of a new ESC, yeah I'm going to need to read the directions. So why would the average RC mind think there is anything substantially different from one Lipo battery to the next?

I've used several types of bullet connectors on several types of batteries over the years, all with success. Never have I used a type of bullet connector on a battery that has caused the leads to melt. In my opinion, there are two problems Reedy needs to address:

1) If you're going to promote your batteries as high end, shouldn't they work with nearly any bullet connectors that are the correct dimensions for the ports on the batteries? If nothing else, start including a harness that can handle both charging and running uses. I admit that I don't have a strong electrical background, so this may seem like a horrible assumption to those with advanced electrical degrees. My point is that consumers who pay a premium for what they believe are higher end components, would not expect such a limitation.

2) I think the instructions about the included harness are vague and leave too much room for user error. It sounds like this isn't the first time a consumer has had this problem, so additional steps need to be taken by Reedy to prevent such confusion on any new batteries they distribute. Given the average consumer wouldn't guess that they couldn't use the included harness for running the vehicle, a sticker should be put on the harness itself that explicitly says "DO NOT USE THIS HARNESS FOR RUNNING YOUR VEHICLE. It is intended only for charging".

My final point is that a company's highest priority should be customer service. A quality product is the second most important aspect, but I as a consumer will tolerate a small amount of poor quality if I believe I'm their number one priority, that my concerns are heard, that I'm being treated fairly and that the company will go out of its way to ensure I'm satisfied.

This wasn't a case of the guy plugging the leads in backwards, or submerging the battery under water and then asking for a replacement. You have to admit there is a fair bit of ambiguity surrounding the instructions and the fact that you can't use the included harness to run the vehicle. I'd be a little perturbed if Reedy didn't acknowledge that as well and try to meet me more than half way toward a resolution.

At the end of the day the original posters impression (whether we or Reedy agrees) of Reedy is not a positive one. He will most likely never buy a Reedy product (battery or other) again, and I'm certain he's not going to recommend any of his racing buddies (which could be a big group) to buy any Reedy products. He also created this post online that many other RC enthusiasts will read. Some will still stand by Reedy after reading this, but others may now have a negative view of the company as well. You can see how one bad impression can lead to a lot of potential lost sales.
Very well stated I could'nt agree more.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Would this be a "consumers affairs" issue-worth a complaint? Fire hazard..safety hazard????
Old 03-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SirSpeedy
5 years ago the top of the line Reedy battery would have been 6 loose cells in a cardboard box people
So true!! I think the RTR's bring a new bread of users into the hobby that are better left playing with R/C cars that require AA batteries.

(Not saying you DOC)

Originally Posted by Wease
Normally I would agree that the original poster didn't read the directions and thus it was his fault. But, allow me to play devils advocate for just a moment.

I've used Lipo batteries for several years now. A battery in an of itself has a limited number of functions. You charge them, you balance them, you discharge/use them. If you've used Lipo's before you already know how to charge them and the danger's etc. So when I get a new Lipo battery, I pretty much feel like I know exactly how to use it. It's not like buying a new ESC with 100 new features and functions and is completely different than my old ESC. In the case of a new ESC, yeah I'm going to need to read the directions. So why would the average RC mind think there is anything substantially different from one Lipo battery to the next?

I've used several types of bullet connectors on several types of batteries over the years, all with success. Never have I used a type of bullet connector on a battery that has caused the leads to melt. In my opinion, there are two problems Reedy needs to address:

1) If you're going to promote your batteries as high end, shouldn't they work with nearly any bullet connectors that are the correct dimensions for the ports on the batteries? If nothing else, start including a harness that can handle both charging and running uses. I admit that I don't have a strong electrical background, so this may seem like a horrible assumption to those with advanced electrical degrees. My point is that consumers who pay a premium for what they believe are higher end components, would not expect such a limitation.

2) I think the instructions about the included harness are vague and leave too much room for user error. It sounds like this isn't the first time a consumer has had this problem, so additional steps need to be taken by Reedy to prevent such confusion on any new batteries they distribute. Given the average consumer wouldn't guess that they couldn't use the included harness for running the vehicle, a sticker should be put on the harness itself that explicitly says "DO NOT USE THIS HARNESS FOR RUNNING YOUR VEHICLE. It is intended only for charging".

My final point is that a company's highest priority should be customer service. A quality product is the second most important aspect, but I as a consumer will tolerate a small amount of poor quality if I believe I'm their number one priority, that my concerns are heard, that I'm being treated fairly and that the company will go out of its way to ensure I'm satisfied.

This wasn't a case of the guy plugging the leads in backwards, or submerging the battery under water and then asking for a replacement. You have to admit there is a fair bit of ambiguity surrounding the instructions and the fact that you can't use the included harness to run the vehicle. I'd be a little perturbed if Reedy didn't acknowledge that as well and try to meet me more than half way toward a resolution.

At the end of the day the original posters impression (whether we or Reedy agrees) of Reedy is not a positive one. He will most likely never buy a Reedy product (battery or other) again, and I'm certain he's not going to recommend any of his racing buddies (which could be a big group) to buy any Reedy products. He also created this post online that many other RC enthusiasts will read. Some will still stand by Reedy after reading this, but others may now have a negative view of the company as well. You can see how one bad impression can lead to a lot of potential lost sales.
Great post Wease!

I have one Reedy 5000mah 35C Lipo and it preforms perfect. I have never had an issue with it. Actually I have been lucky, I have had zero issues with most of my electronics and I have close to six RC's now and use a wide range of different products, cheap and expensive. (Hope I didn't jinx myself)
Old 03-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Only two things I can say after reading the thread..

I've never had anything less than exceptional service for any issues I've had with ae products in the past.

Anybody who melts the plug in their batt and decides to trash it rather than send to ae, Send it to me and I'll pay shipping. I'd like some good lipos even if I have to do a lil work to em.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

This is what makes America great! Open enterprise. There are so many other options out there, that instead of bashing them start buying else where. If there is a real problem Reedy will start to get hit where it matters (Instead of the mouth on the forum, Hit them in the pocket). Actions speak louder than words, and if words get you now where resort to action. I cant speak of Reedy, but AE is an awesome company and I love their stuff, its all I drive and run. I love it! I just cant imagine they wont do something about it, but if they don't, resort to 2 sentences above. Lipo's are a racket anyhow, hardly any are US made and can be bought cheaper overseas. And really are the same packs with different labeling.

I know there are people that just gripe, but if this is a real problem and they are doing nothing to fix it, it will come around to pay them back. But a company doesn't exist for 25 years with this type of problem not being resolved.