Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Any body see this problem with SCT racing? >

Any body see this problem with SCT racing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any body see this problem with SCT racing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Any body see this problem with SCT racing?

I no longer race in the SCT class at my track, or any other for one reason. It doesn't promote clean driving. I fully understand that this class is the big draw for new racers however a majority of the time "rough" driving is considered the norm. I'm not talking about "rubbin's racin'" I'm talking about new drivers not needing to learning car control because plowing through the other guy is way they all race and it's accepted because it's SCT racing. The problem I see with this is that IF any of these drivers move to a different class they seem to bring that driving style with them. Just my $.02 and wondering if anybody else see's the same thing.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I'm in the same boat as you buddy... I been in RC for 16 years, this was my first season ever in off-road. I bought a SC10, I loved it, but got sick of everyone plowing though me and having to fix it, I sold it got a stadium truck, and haven't looked back yet... Kevin
Old 03-24-2010, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

thats one problem the SCT class faces, the other one is an identity crisis, SCT has devolved into long wheelbase stadium truck with narrow tires, like its lost the original concept
Old 03-24-2010, 06:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have to disagree. I think it is more fun that way. I was sick or hearing the rest of the 1/8 scale buggy guys crying everytime two cars bumped. I come from a real car racing back round, and cars hit actually alot on a track. I was also sick of hearing let the fast guys past you on the track? Real racing you want past someone you better work for it. I am not out for hacking but I think it is great to not have a bunch of grown adults whining cause there toy car got bumped. I am not supporting hacking but I welcome the bumping and move or get pushed out of the way style.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

Just to add, I'm not against the "rubbin's racin'" idea. With the right group of guys the SCT class can be a blast because you CAN do a little rubbin' without any problems. Like I said the trouble is the new guys, which the class is understandably full of, don't have the control yet or don't know the difference and they think WFO is racing. IMO this doesn't help bring new "racers" into the hobby/sport which we all know we need more of. rant over..
Old 03-24-2010, 06:39 AM
Tech Addict

I bought the sct for the fun factor of the races. I race nitro buggy and it is way to serious.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Clean driving also has to be promoted by your Race Director. If the class is getting too rowdy, it's their responsibility to get it under control. Everyone's opinion on how much contact is "too much" will be different though. It's definitely not a class for purists. As for these drivers migrating to other classes, it won't be long and SCT will be about the ONLY E classes. Coming from Nitro and seeing how the hacking is in those classes.....if the SCT drivers move up to 8th scale, they'll fit right in IMO though, even with the bashing on the track, SCT is the most fun I've had in years. Those complaining about the rubbing are generally those taking it way too serious...SCT is about fun, and not so much about winning or hoyty toyty etiquitte
Old 03-24-2010, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by All in
I have to disagree. I think it is more fun that way. I was sick or hearing the rest of the 1/8 scale buggy guys crying everytime two cars bumped. I come from a real car racing back round, and cars hit actually alot on a track. I was also sick of hearing let the fast guys past you on the track? Real racing you want past someone you better work for it. I am not out for hacking but I think it is great to not have a bunch of grown adults whining cause there toy car got bumped. I am not supporting hacking but I welcome the bumping and move or get pushed out of the way style.
you say you disagree but I think we actually agree.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

WOW didn't think this would light such a fire.. I rub you, you rub me I'm 100% for that . That's the draw to the class, it's the WFO put you over the pipe bust your s#$t and call it "rubbin'" that I see too much of and I've seen this turn the new guys off too, so it's not just those of us who might be a little too serious.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:08 AM
Tech Regular

At my track it's a smash up dirby... It litterally puts me off ever even trying SCT... It's not just rubbing like you say... It's litterally I'll push you out the corner and keep on going... I know I would loose my calm, so I just leave it for others... Not my bag of tea...
Old 03-24-2010, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I had that problem in North Carolina a lot. At the start of a main I would get drilled by someone a few spots back who THINKS he's as fast as I am. They're not, so they need to spin me out to pass me or else I'll run away from them. Almost ever main down there I would start in the top 3, and by halway through the first lap I would get shuffled back to last. Now I'm racing back here in NY, and I have not had that same problem. The main last Friday night I started 5th. In qualifying, 1 though 5 were seperated by only a few seconds, but from me to 6th the was a larger gap. The guy in 6th is still learning, getting better, and I was impressed with how he cut me a little slack because I had to back off my throttle cause 4th place crashes, on his own, in front of me. He was clean, and it allowed the top 4 to show that we were faster and we ran away from him. Just about every main the last few weeks 1-4 have done the first lap nose to tail, very clean. I made some nice clean passes to work my way up. the guys I raced with were very cool. When they got passed they didn't slam their throttle and try to run up the back of me, or spin me in the next turn. Some people just have no idea what it takes to race clean, and be fast, and how to pass, and those are the guys who ruin it for everyone. Nothing bugs me more than a guy who is a few feet bhind me in a straight, and doesn't let off in the turn and spins me. They think because they are close to me they're gaining on me. No stupid, everyone needs to slow down for turn, and that gives the illusion that were closer, but we are not. In the long run, if your fast enough you will run away from those hacks. It's all about the people you race with that makes it fun. I can't stand the constant door slamer. My freinds and I have fun, and we rub, but we don't crash each other.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
WOW didn't think this would light such a fire.. I rub you, you rub me I'm 100% for that . That's the draw to the class, it's the WFO put you over the pipe bust your s#$t and call it "rubbin'" that I see too much of and I've seen this turn the new guys off too, so it's not just those of us who might be a little too serious.
If it's getting to the point that it's a total hackfest, then thats an issue you need to take up with your RD as it's a "track" issue not a "class" issue. While there is a lot of grinding going on here, the stupidity is still kept in check for the most part. I know by looking at the expressions on those coming off the stand that the class must be doing something right Judging on those smiles it must be more fun than the other classes where the drivers look like they just got a prostate exam as they are coming down the stand . SCT has also brought more newbs in than anything in the last 10 years which is fantastic, but unfortunately the cost of that on the track will be newbish driving and newbish etiquitte. It's up to the seasoned racers and the RD to help these guys out. Complaining on a forum will do nothing, get together with your RD and help educate guys at the drivers meeting as to what they are doing wrong....it will benefit everyone in the long run. Or on the flip side, maybe you'll find that you are the one out of line with thinking there's too much hacking going on.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:32 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I think all racing must follow this rule let the leader go.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

I came back to this hobby because of the SCT classes. I agree that there tends to be some "hacking" that can happen but at more serious events this will be called. At the tracks I have raced at we don't see much of this anymore. With the Stock class merging the Spec Splash and other "kits" together we'll see what happens. The Mod class seems to be more of an issue really with so many drivers not able to manage the power with the tires. Also the Kite effect of the body impacts many too.

I believe that these are the classes that will continue to grow. I really like the scale of this and the tie to the 1:1 racing is so vital. People get this. I feel that stadium trucks were supposed to be SCT back in the late 1980s when they started.

My advice is the same as others, talk to the RD or call out the driver that is bashing. That's what an experience driver did to me when I was just getting started. He kinda yelled at me for hacking. I invested the next two weeks in learning to brake and to drive smoother and now I am challenging him!!! I think all will have more fun if the racing can be clean enough so that trucks are not sent off the track or broken. The most fun I have had was battling for 1st with another clean driver going through the rythm section fender-to-fender. I don't think that can happen in the more open wheel classes!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Its up to you the racer's to police what type of sct driving you
want in your heats. At our track quite few Stadium truck drivers
run sct and St. Then we also have a new mix of people. Most of us
don't have a problem with rubbing and bumping side to side in the.
Its when you do the hard bump in the rear or the plow technque
that you will get the evil eye from most . I will tell my son
or others with a very polite manner that its not needed. I can be accused of doing it myself also, its hard not to get excited in these trucks
As for the leader coming by and letting him go, it's common courtesy
to do it. You wouldn't see a damaged nascar vechile run in the fast lane would you. If the leaders on the ball why hold him up especially when he or she is lapping you Then one thing that does drive me crazy is one you
running a good race and you have a vechile down 2 or 3 laps and then
you pass them and they race you to a corner and take the inside lane hard .
But the poster is right better to explain it at the track then through a 01010001010 land . Then if your if still not happy , don't race take a break,
hell even try another class such as ST. Its a good class with some good clean racing 90% time

Dynodan22

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.