Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tires are ruining the SC Class

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

im not opposed to running scale treads at all, but if we are all using new tread patterns from proline and aka, the only difference between them and buggy tires is 1/2 inch of rubber over the edge of the rim, im i right?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slashracer
Actually, where I race the spec class tanked because too many people tried "top secret" upgrades. The track owner finally gave up because of a few who didn't learn how not to cheat back in kindergarten.
The spec thing was doomed the minute serious racers started started running it.We saw guys water dipping titans, siping the carcass of the stock slash tires FROM the INSIDE to get more carcass flex to increase the contact patch,Guys switched out the metal tranny gears to the plastic ones from the bandit /rustler to decrease rotating mass,and re-drilling the pistons in the stock shocks.All to try to get a little bit of an advantage.

On the original subject, tires arent ruining the class.They are making it better.It's not like the tires get wasted in a day of racing like on a 2wd buggy.Hell, I have a pair of goosebumps I ran outdoors all last season, then ran indoors for half the winter.And they are STILL good for hardpack now that they are wore down a little.
This is no different than any other class.Each track will have it's tire choices that work well, and it's tire choices that work not so well.That's part of racing.Find what works best and run it.

If you want ultra cheap racing, you need to find a vehicle that is odd scale, that nobody makes parts for ,and cant be upgraded.Go team radio shack!!!But the reality is the moment it starts to be popular- here come the upgrades, option parts and go-fast gear, that makes racing what it really is. A contest to see who wins.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I like the rule of any tire that fits the 2.2/3.0 wheel. Besides if we dont get some good tires the SC class would look like this.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fred_B
I challenge any of you to see the "non scale treads" when the trucks are running anyways.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
The spec thing was doomed the minute serious racers started started running it.We saw guys water dipping titans, siping the carcass of the stock slash tires FROM the INSIDE to get more carcass flex to increase the contact patch,Guys switched out the metal tranny gears to the plastic ones from the bandit /rustler to decrease rotating mass,and re-drilling the pistons in the stock shocks.All to try to get a little bit of an advantage.
That is sad. It's called cheating, and in toy car racing, no less. If this was going on, the race director should have put an end to it. Water dipping a motor isn't illegal, but imo won't win a race anyway. All the modding stuff is strictly against the rules at most tracks. At that point, it's not a spec class, it's a look-at-me-I'm-a-tool class.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Madbrad
I like the rule of any tire that fits the 2.2/3.0 wheel. Besides if we dont get some good tires the SC class would look like this.
hey at least they have good taste in music lol
Old 03-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

I'm good with the race tires, as long as they remain exactly like they are now. We don't need a new tire of the year crap, like in 1/8 truggy where the tires have gotten to the point it's barely bigger than a buggy tire. That is where the evil axis organization that goes by the code name ROAR...... (kidding) has to do their job. ROAR can put their foot down so that mfg are not temped to start tweaking the tires/rims.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I think the point under all this discussion is that with every performance advance that goes unchecked, SC racing is losing the things that made it different. Once people started running Mod it became "another class" but it's starting to replace stadium truck which I see as a good thing. At least SC's are more different from current 2wd buggies than stadium trucks are. SC's also handle under maintained outdoor tracks far better (they're really lightweight 1/8th scales).

I'd like to see rules put in place to protect what these things were in the beginning but it's really up to the track directors and what they'll allow, which is all often whatever the racers want. Racers sometimes need to be protected from themselves. We've demonstrated a terrible lack of foresight over the last 20 years.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
That is sad. It's called cheating, and in toy car racing, no less. If this was going on, the race director should have put an end to it. Water dipping a motor isn't illegal, but imo won't win a race anyway. All the modding stuff is strictly against the rules at most tracks. At that point, it's not a spec class, it's a look-at-me-I'm-a-tool class.
That's why I waited for the ROAR rules SC class.Every spec class I have ever seen run has turned out like that.Some guys getting away with whatever they can while the majority follows the rules as they were set out.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

so i was just checking the specs on sc tires vs 1/8 buggy tires and the only difference is 3mm in height. hardly any difference. in mod class shouldnt they be allowed? if your running 4x4 sc, anything other than the slash 4x4 is mod anyways.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
It's called racing Doesn't matter if you are racing match box cars or top fuel dragsters.......racers will stretch the rules and try to get any advantage possible. And in many racers minds....it's only cheating if you get caught Thats the main reason I didn't jump into the spec racing and waited for the 4x4 sct's...I knew cheating would become rampant....and I didn't know if I could resist the urge to stretch the rules myself. And the fact that it is just toy cars, makes it that much easier to live with the guilt, lol. Anyways, I decided it was just best to not race that class even though it was obviously a blast. IMHO, I think the influx of all the truck brands and all the tires and go fast goodies makes the modified classes all the much better....anyone can go buy the stuff and not have to rely on Mason like secrets of 1/10th scale cheats. I think SCT turnout will just keep getting bigger, and much of it has to do with the fact that there's now enough aftermarket support thats it's attractive to all levels of racers and just not beginners.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Davidka

I'd like to see rules put in place to protect what these things were in the beginning but it's really up to the track directors and what they'll allow, which is all often whatever the racers want. Racers sometimes need to be protected from themselves. We've demonstrated a terrible lack of foresight over the last 20 years.
That's why you support the rules set forth by ROAR. Then you dont get a different set of rules at every different track you go to.You get an even consistant set of rules nationwide, so there is no situations like -"Well I cant run my truck here because they run by a deifferent set of rules than the other 2 tracks I run at." Even if they just use the rules as a guideline then tweak to their needs via tire rules etc. the base rules are still the same and promote some semblence of uniformity within the class.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ridley
It's called racing Doesn't matter if you are racing match box cars or top fuel dragsters.......racers will stretch the rules and try to get any advantage possible. And in many racers minds....it's only cheating if you get caught Thats the main reason I didn't jump into the spec racing and waited for the 4x4 sct's...I knew cheating would become rampant....and I didn't know if I could resist the urge to stretch the rules myself. And the fact that it is just toy cars, makes it that much easier to live with the guilt, lol.
I get what you are saying, and agree that's the way things go to some degree. But doesn't mean it's right, or that we should put up with it.

IMO, blatant cheating is NOT what SPEC racing is about. For a select few... sure... they are losers. Just like the guys who cut the track or hack their way to the front because they are "competitive"... they have no class and are LOSERS.

What we should do, is call them on it. That's what the strict rules are for. Tech them after the race.... point out what a tool they are, and send them home.

Fortunately, I guess we have a better group of racers at our track. We didn't see things get out of control with cheating. I won't let it happen this year either. We will tech things if it becomes an issue.

Look at NASCAR. Every team does try to fudge the rules... a little. But they don't show up with a car that has like 10 things that are completely illegal. And when a team does get caught... NASCAR doesn't think it's funny. They don't cheat like it's suggested in this thread.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by symmetricon
so i was just checking the specs on sc tires vs 1/8 buggy tires and the only difference is 3mm in height. hardly any difference. in mod class shouldnt they be allowed? if your running 4x4 sc, anything other than the slash 4x4 is mod anyways.
The heightened sidewall of the standard sc tire allows for a lot more give which takes away responsiveness. Once there are enough sct type tires out to match all the different track conditions the desire for 8th scale tires should go away leaving us with a standard that can be carried from track to track without fear of being at a disadvantage. Plus buggy tires on white dish rims just look wrong in this class.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:52 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

for me personally i think it depends on how you want things at your track.

I like the universal rule that they can't be 1/8 scale tires. but I can see where having a class where the RTR style tires are only allowed, and one where you run whatever you want as long as its a 1/10 SCT tire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.