Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Local racing controlling 8th scale kv/voltage setups??? >

Local racing controlling 8th scale kv/voltage setups???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Local racing controlling 8th scale kv/voltage setups???

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default Local racing controlling 8th scale kv/voltage setups???

I know ALOT plays into racing and being fast but lets put that aside for now.

I have always built my 8th scale setups to be reliable and run with the nitro's when I was at my old track.

So the summer season is coming up and we are going to have to races at my "home" track. It is larger and all us electric guys have different motor and KV setups.

I think 5s and 6s is a great setup for run time, etc.

My question is does anyone have or think there should be a KV/voltage limit for racing??

4s = 2200 or less
5s = 1700 or less
6s = 1500 or less

Im just throwing out random range numbers not specifics.

I have raced with a couple guys on 5s 1900 and I KNOW on my larger track back home they are gonna kill me on some things.

Any input ???

Thanks
Old 03-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

if they go 45 on the back strait you should too.

Limits blow and will ruin the class.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by UK.hardcore
if they go 45 on the back strait you should too.

Limits blow and will ruin the class.
I do agree with the speed factor. And limits can ruin things but how far do you let it go??
Old 03-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You can have all the speed in the world but if you cant put it down on the track whats the point. The person who will be out front has found the right balance of power and speed.

Strategy is half the fun
Old 03-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I run one of the smaller motors in my area and am usually in the top 3.

I don't think it should be limited. Sooner or later the big motor guys will figure it out. I do wish they would have set the main length at 15min instead of 10 at ROAR to eliminate some of the big motor guys right off the bat.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

We pretty much observe "run what you brung" type of rules as long as the car is a true 1/8 scale car. So you can run 2s or 10s. However, most are running 4s to 6s. Or only really enforced rule is charge in a lipo sack.

You will get someone showing up running a 2650kv on 6s, but them winning the race won't be the problem as no one who actually knows what they are doing would even attempt to race something like that. The issue is that they can't drive and raise the risk of injuring a marshal or something.

My first conversion a couple of years ago used a Neu 1512 1.5d which is a 3300kv motor. At the time, the slowest I could make the car without turning down the EPA using 4s was pretty much 45-47mph!

At one point, I literally could top out probably around 55-60mph down our 200 foot straight. Talk about destroying nitros. However, you couldn't drive the car worth a damn in the in field because it was very difficult to get any traction. Plus runtime was about 12 minutes with a 4s 5000 pack if I was lucky.

I wouldn't mind seeing rules like above where voltage needs to be mated to the proper KV motor. However, I can see someone trying to cheat, but I really don't think it will make a difference in off road. Straights don't win the race. The longer I have been doing this, the slower my cars seem to get. Right now, I am geared for maybe 35-36mph.

It doesn't take long for serious racers to figure out what works for their particular situation. Because we still race with nitros mostly, I am generally against overly strict rules because I have to set my car up to run in a variety of places from 10 to 20 minute mains so the lower kv/high voltage stuff works best for me.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by badassrevo
I run one of the smaller motors in my area and am usually in the top 3.

I don't think it should be limited. Sooner or later the big motor guys will figure it out. I do wish they would have set the main length at 15min instead of 10 at ROAR to eliminate some of the big motor guys right off the bat.
I agree with this. Setting a 15 minute main really forces people to think about their motor and battery choices. Anyone can run a 10 minute main, no matter how crazy the setup. Things start getting dicey for 15 minutes or longer.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

No limits needed honestly since it's all personal preference. The person running a setup for 27K RPM chose that setup over one that runs at 36K RPM because he liked it better and not cause he was trying to save money. The guy running 36K RPM doesn't have any advantage at all since any speed advantages he has is cancelled out by the disadvantages he incurs due to the lack of smoothness in the infield and runtime. Unless of course we are talking about speed runs or drag races. If you look at truggies, people ran .28s in them back in the day and they were allowed to. Now, they are all mostly running .21s since it's more controllable, have better run time, and inflicted less wear on parts.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Edumakated
Straights don't win the race. The longer I have been doing this, the slower my cars seem to get.
That the bottom line right there.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Edumakated
I agree with this. Setting a 15 minute main really forces people to think about their motor and battery choices. Anyone can run a 10 minute main, no matter how crazy the setup. Things start getting dicey for 15 minutes or longer.
That is an EXCELLENT point right there... I LIKE IT...

Here are the two things i have noticed.

CRAZY JUMPING.. i have raced with two guys that were making quads out/whatever six would be lol. I had to quad and then table top.. these guys were going over it all, AND they were fast doing it.

#1 it isnt safe for a whatever pound car to jump that far/fast/high.
#2 I tried it too and ALWAYS came up short even if i practiced and tried to make it.

Maybe the 15 minutes main is the way to control it. I didn't personally care for the 4s stuff I had ran and LOVE my 1700/5s setup. Couple guys i have ran with have 1900 5s and 2200 5s. The 2200 was not driveable really. the 1900 was pretty awesome LOL.

Thanks for the input... I think the 15 min main will solve all of our problems for the most part.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Motor limits have another positive side effect, they help the equipment be more reliable. There are plenty of racers that have already come and gone from electric 1/8th because they couldn't risk blowing up any more expensive components. They don't want to hear that they were overdoing it and it was there fault but if there had been a motor limit maybe they wouldn't have to.

The safety point is a big one. An 8lb car can kill a 10 year old kid if it hits him in the head and the most powerful setups I have seen were always driven by the most careless drivers. Should a car even be able to crash all the way back to the pits?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Yea I think 15 mins is a sweet spot. Many 4S setups are efficient enough and can make 15 minutes. 20 minutes is just too long since we'd all have to start running heavy batteries for a guaranteed 20 minute run regardless of the voltage. We need a system that has regenerative braking so we can put some charge back into our batteries when braking haha.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

I had to speak up once because the big jump was in front of the drivers stand.. im driving and a car comes within 6 foot of my face flying through the air I now have a concern.

15 min mains and noting that they are 15 minutes so plan accordingly is what im leaning towards. Its moreless a big practice track on my property but the local shop owner has a scoring system. So we want to plan a couple races.

With any luck I will talk edumakated to making the drive down to central IL for it... lol
Old 03-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Default batterys

PUT A BATTERY LIMIT 14.8 MANITORY PITS
Old 03-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Don't build tracks that need 5hp setups. If you have 300 foot straights then you are going to be faster with a 6s 2650. If you have 100 foot straights then that 6s 2650 will run neck and neck with the 4s 2050. You don't put kids at the end of long straights to corner marshall. You put them at slow sections of the track w/out big jumps. The guy building that track likely has to sale parts some how. If he believes that he can get a dozen people out to come blow $200 a week then he will make the track big and blazing fast. If he thinks he can make more money by bringing out 50 people to drop $25 a week then he will make it more friendly to cheaper setups that will please the masses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.