Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Convert MBX6, x808 or buy hyper9e,Rc8e etc... >

Convert MBX6, x808 or buy hyper9e,Rc8e etc...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Convert MBX6, x808 or buy hyper9e,Rc8e etc...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 06:56 PM
ftf
Tech Rookie

Default Convert MBX6, x808 or buy hyper9e,Rc8e etc...

So I can't decide if it's better to convert a nitro buggy or just buy a electric kit. I had my heart set on a MBX6 nitro, but then got to thinking about a brushless setup, and so I'm here, no electric mugen/xray, but with a elite motor mount and a battery tray..... Anyways, how does the hyper 9e stack up to a converted MBX6/x808? I'm attracted to the mbx6/808 for their touted durability, and quality, but it's more costly than a hyper 9e, obviously. Am I paying for nothing? or perhaps paying more for less? Anyways the real question is how does the hyper 9e stack up to these two converted buggies?
Old 03-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

1st picks-808e/Ve8
2nd picks-Losi/hyper/Rc8

I don't know anything about the mugen so i can not comment.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:56 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I'll start with the bottom line: they're all good buggies and you can win with any of them. If you're concerned about being competitive, don't...get the one you like if that is your main concern.
I'll start with the RC8e...it comes with plastic shocks that you will likely upgrade, which is an additional $60-$100 to factor in. The RC8Be is coming out soon, so if you like the AE, consider waiting for that one if you like. I've had plastic shocks on other vehicles that pop open (top shock cap pops off) or leak and ones that don't. There's been several reports that the RC8e shock caps pop off.
The Hyper 9e is one of the best balanced e-buggies due to it's electric-specific design. To make it durable though, the main things recommended are Hyper 8.5 front arms and aluminum front chassis brace, so those items need to be factored. Other items also typically recommended are Tekno side guards and an upgraded motor mount as the stock mount is a 2pc design with the top piece being plastic so it gives a bit.
The MBX6 (either your own conversion with an Elite mount or a pre-made kit from Tekno...and BTW, Mugen USA is supposedly working on a conversion kit also) and XB808e (XRay conversion) are both well made, but they will cost considerably more. They won't be any more competitive, but the quality of parts may be worth the extra cost to you.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:08 AM
ftf
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by JSR
I'll start with the bottom line: they're all good buggies and you can win with any of them. If you're concerned about being competitive, don't...get the one you like if that is your main concern.
I'll start with the RC8e...it comes with plastic shocks that you will likely upgrade, which is an additional $60-$100 to factor in. The RC8Be is coming out soon, so if you like the AE, consider waiting for that one if you like. I've had plastic shocks on other vehicles that pop open (top shock cap pops off) or leak and ones that don't. There's been several reports that the RC8e shock caps pop off.
The Hyper 9e is one of the best balanced e-buggies due to it's electric-specific design. To make it durable though, the main things recommended are Hyper 8.5 front arms and aluminum front chassis brace, so those items need to be factored. Other items also typically recommended are Tekno side guards and an upgraded motor mount as the stock mount is a 2pc design with the top piece being plastic so it gives a bit.
The MBX6 (either your own conversion with an Elite mount or a pre-made kit from Tekno...and BTW, Mugen USA is supposedly working on a conversion kit also) and XB808e (XRay conversion) are both well made, but they will cost considerably more. They won't be any more competitive, but the quality of parts may be worth the extra cost to you.
Is the Xray 808e in stock anywhere, has it been released yet? I didn't know it was out.....
Old 03-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ftf
Is the Xray 808e in stock anywhere, has it been released yet? I didn't know it was out.....
There isn't an Xray 808e yet. You have to make your own. Just buy the 808 and then sell off the nitro parts. However, it is very easy and all parts are direct bolt on for the electric conversion.

1) rc-monster makes a 808 specific battery tray. very light weight and has the ESC shelf built in and pre drilled so you can screw the MMM down with the Traxxas holder OR you can screw the rx8 to it. They also make a motor mount that is really nice. Designed so you can take the center diff out without having to remove the entire mount. rc-monster.com

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...rod=RCMxray808

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...MFPbatterytray

2) Elite RC makes a motor mount. Elite by far makes the highest quality and best looking motor mounts right now. These things are gorgeous.

I use the Elite Mount with the rc-monster battery tray for my 808 and it is a flawless setup.

www.elitercd.com
Old 03-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

MBX6
Elite RC Motor Mount
Monster RC Battery Tray