Wiki Posts
Search

NEW MMM burned with xcelorin

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default NEW MMM burned with xcelorin

i just burned up my brand new mamba monster. pluged it to a xcelorin engine and was testing it out by going full throtle foward and then full reverse. it was going real fast both ways, after doing that a couple of time fire started to apear in the positive baterry connection inside the esc. will going full power back and then foward burn up the esc, i was doing this with the wheels of the ground. or could have been my baterry (losi 5000 mah 25 c).im runing 45 thooth spur and 14 tooth pinion. one thing i noticed is when the car went full forward there was no delay for reverse, it went full on reverse imediatelly and i think that caused the burnt up esc. i dont think an esc should do that there should be a delay betwen foward and reverse. HELP
Old 03-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Tech Rookie

rctech.net/forum/7141455-post119.html

As I mentioned, there is a pause between forwards to reverse, but there has never been a pause between reverse to forwards on ANY esc that I've seen or come across/ used. The reason for this is that common sense dicates going from fullspeed reverse > full speeds forwards is a bad idea, leads to backflips and broken driveshafts. Or burnt escs....
Old 03-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yeah, I can't say whether this WILL burn up an otherwise good esc... but I can say that going full throttle back and forth is a BAD idea. For many reasons I'm sure. Common sense. Just like in your real car... you normally come to a stop before shifting from R to D
Old 03-16-2010, 04:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Never supposed to run a brushless motor or esc full throttle at no load. Creates voltage transients that backfeed into esc and overcomes the capacitors and suppession diodes. And switching from forward to reverse and back to forward really aggravates problem.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

call up castle, but don't tell them what about what you were doing exactly, they will take care of you. I just had a new mamba monster flame up first time at the track, one blip of the throttle.... by by new pain job. The hobby store exchanges it and sent it back to castle
Old 03-16-2010, 06:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

DO NOT LIE TO CASTLE or any other manufacturer. People doing that are what causes customer service to go to crap. If you were abusing your ESC do not expect a free replacement. Be honest and more than likely they'll take care of it for 100% free regardless but be honest.

In the future, hook up your Castle products to a computer and castle link. There is a nice little feature that says something like "proportional reverse with lockout" which will make you be stopped before engaging reverse.

And I would dump that motor quickly. It was more than likely your abuse that burned up the controller but the Losi motors have a bad rep. Good luck!
Old 03-16-2010, 07:13 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You never test a bl motor with no load at other than just part throttle and low throttle at that. The usual idea is just to make sure the motor actually does run - nothing else.

Thats also a great way to over spin the brgs past their rated RPM and permanently degrade them.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

you would have to run the motor with too high voltage to over rev it right?
shouldnt matter if there is no load on the motor
Old 03-16-2010, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

omitting every detail is not a lie per say, the speed control shouldn't have burned up like that
Old 03-16-2010, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by symmetricon
omitting every detail is not a lie per say, the speed control shouldn't have burned up like that
You don't know that. What he did may indeed have been directly responsible.

Your attitude is not unique, which is unfortunate. BTW, choosing what details you report in order to mislead IS lying. Try that in court and see how far it gets you.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:18 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aceinthesky
i just burned up my brand new mamba monster. pluged it to a xcelorin engine and was testing it out by going full throtle foward and then full reverse. it was going real fast both ways, after doing that a couple of time fire started to apear in the positive baterry connection inside the esc. will going full power back and then foward burn up the esc, i was doing this with the wheels of the ground. or could have been my baterry (losi 5000 mah 25 c).im runing 45 thooth spur and 14 tooth pinion. one thing i noticed is when the car went full forward there was no delay for reverse, it went full on reverse imediatelly and i think that caused the burnt up esc. i dont think an esc should do that there should be a delay betwen foward and reverse. HELP
I love this. A guy unnecessarily abuses/destroys his ESC and motor and then complains about it.

Warranty claims like this are what drives up prices for the rest of us.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Don't forget the guy who coaches him to "work" the repair dept at Castle
Old 03-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

Yeah I have to agree: Just tell them what happened-no BS. Those guys know what's up and if you tell them the truth they might cut you some kind of deal. Give them (or anybody else) some kinda story and "There goes your credibility!"-- Which in turn will affect everybody else. Imagine saying this around the track,"Hey you should see this brand new ESC I got from Castle when I made up this story how I burnt up the other one!" Kind of makes you real trusting huh?
Old 03-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

who cares, these electronics should be able to hold up to massive loads and abuse, im paying 200-300$ for their products, it should be crapping gold for the amount of money i pay. besides, people that say they tell the truth, usaully dont, and the people who think it is wrong to lie are hippocrites. they have done it before to, even though they dont want to admit it. and besides, if you could get a free replacement out of it, you would lie too. just my 2 cents.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

i did not lie just told them it burned up and the hobby shop did not ask any questions they just replaced it. now i got one and the on and off switch does not work, the esc turns on when u plug batt and does not turn off with the on off switch whats up with that how can i fix that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.