Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Brushless Question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 09:00 PM
Tech Adept

Default Novak Brushless Question?

Hey,
I have a Losi XXX4 with an Orion Core Modified 12x2. I really like the motor but I am not sure whether I want to get a comm lathe or go ahead and get the Novak Brushless. Right now I am leaning towards the Novak Brushless because there is less maintenance then a brushed motor.

If I get the brushless how will it perform in my XXX4? What brushed motor is the brushless equivalent to?

Thanks
Old 04-11-2004, 10:08 PM
Tech Adept

Depending on the brushless system you get, there really is no comparison to a brush motor. I bought the "stock" system which has a rpm and acceleration limiter on it, but in unlimited mode, it moves really fast. Right now it's in a FT RC10T3 and that is doing fairly well. I do recommend checking ALL the connections first, since I had one of the sensor wires come loose suspiciously fast. (Screw up at the factory, I think) I had some issues with off road being a bit rough for it, but it's holding up well. I raced on level pavement first and it ran like a raped ape!! I had to change the gearing for the off-road since the whole system got too hot and the thermal shut down kicked in. Novak has not acurately made a proper gearing chart for the specific vehicles, but guidelines for the proper ratio. Triple check this before running the car on the jumps and stuff. Next it's going into my oval car and that should be interesting!! LOL My current business plans are for an indoor carpet track featuring rental cars for the REAL newbies and I am going to use the brushless system in all of them to eliminate timely maitnence. First, if you race at a local track, see if the system has earned a class to itself or has been accepted into the mod class before you spend the money. I hope this helped and happy racing!!
Old 04-12-2004, 05:42 AM
Tech Initiate

I ran the novak in my TA04 whcih went well until the shaft come away from the magnetic rotor....Novak DO not sell spare parts for these motors.

I also use the onboard data logger which recorded various measurements at 1/10 of a second. this is what I got...max AMPS at 75 with max RPM at 37,000 alittle lower than specs state. My TA04 goes far tooooo quick acceleration up to 68 klm/hr is awsome.

where are you going to buy it from ?
Old 04-12-2004, 06:12 AM
Tech Adept

Good info!

Inferno: I will probally end up buying it from one of the local tracks.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:45 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by ChrisE
I will probally end up buying it from one of the local tracks.
Fantastic!! Only way to make sure they are still there when you want to race!! Support your local business!!
Old 04-12-2004, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

A little help. There are 2 motors under the Super Sport Brushless System. The 4300 and the 5800. The 5800 is faster and has a limiter to try to replicate stock, but it doesn't do that as well as the 4300. For all out speed, in unlimited mode, go with the 5800. Compared to an Orion 12x2, I don't think it will be as fast, although the torque shoul dbe right up there.