Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tamiya TRF2WD thread >

Tamiya TRF2WD thread

Like Tree21Likes

Tamiya TRF2WD thread

Old 07-21-2014, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Cool photo Aussie David! Sent you a PM about an XR, thanks.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default TRF 201XR Endurance race setup

Originally Posted by wildwillydriver
Yes please it would be of great help!

Bye
WWD
Here is the setup I used for the endurance race.

Note that the setup sheet states JC Bar Codes, I use these tires in the last run of the day and they were great!

Earlier in the day, I ran Proline Holeshots M3 on the front and Sweep Square Armor Silver on the Rear. But as the dust cleared and the Blue Groove came up, the Bar Codes provided excellent grip levels and consistency.

If the PDF is too small try this link: http://www.petitrc.com/setup/tamiya/...nceRace201407/

Thanks PetitRC!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Last edited by AussieTopForce; 07-25-2014 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Update
Old 07-25-2014, 06:06 AM
Tech Regular

Rcmart has trf201xm in stock. Weird thing is its priced for $1.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Hi guys,
I am considering getting the 201xmw and have afew questions I was hoping you guys can help me with.

1. What is plastic quality and build quality like on the car. Are there mods needed out of the box or does everything pretty much comes together flawlessly?

2. How much slop is there on the joining parts (I have a B5 and there is quite abit of slop, although less than the B4 series. I also have a Schumacher SV2 and there is very very little slop and plastic quality and durability is stunning)

3. Does the car run better on saddles or shorties and do you need aftermarket parts to run shorties?

4. You had to pay ridiculous amounts of money for some basic tuning on the Schumacher cars, unlike AE where many of these tuning options were available in the kit. What is Tamiya like?

5. Anything gripes about the car?

Thanks in advance, fellas. Its a really expensive buggy and I wanna be sure I'm not going to regret the decision. I'm really happy with my Schumacher SV2 and the AE B5 but the 201xmw is too sexy to pass.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Question for those of you running stock class:

Yesterday was the maiden voyage for my XR at a local outdoor race and I was surprised to have an issue with the gear ratio. My last car was an x-factory with AE B4 tranny which also has a 2.60/1 ratio. My ideal setup on that car was 34 pinion/69 spur. I am running an Exotek slipper eliminator from the X-factory car on my 201 so I tried to start with that same gear combo but the 34t pinion would not clear the gear cover. I ended up throwing a 33t in the car for the day which definitely had an impact on the top end.

What are you guys running for pinion/spur on your 17.5 buggies?

Other then the gear ratio troubles, the car was flat out awesome. Couldnt be happier with the car considering it was the first time out and my first time racing in about 3 months.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bcooper

Yesterday was the maiden voyage for my XR at a local outdoor race and I was surprised to have an issue with the gear ratio. My last car was an x-factory with AE B4 tranny which also has a 2.60/1 ratio. My ideal setup on that car was 34 pinion/69 spur. I am running an Exotek slipper eliminator from the X-factory car on my 201 so I tried to start with that same gear combo but the 34t pinion would not clear the gear cover. I ended up throwing a 33t in the car for the day which definitely had an impact on the top end.

Other then the gear ratio troubles, the car was flat out awesome. Couldnt be happier with the car considering it was the first time out and my first time racing in about 3 months.

Run a B4 gear cover.

You have to hog out one of the holes just a tad to make it work but it fits pretty well.

I can show you a pic from the one on my MM Super Stock car when I get a chance.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by juicy74
Hi guys,
I am considering getting the 201xmw and have afew questions I was hoping you guys can help me with.

1. What is plastic quality and build quality like on the car. Are there mods needed out of the box or does everything pretty much comes together flawlessly?

2. How much slop is there on the joining parts (I have a B5 and there is quite abit of slop, although less than the B4 series. I also have a Schumacher SV2 and there is very very little slop and plastic quality and durability is stunning)

3. Does the car run better on saddles or shorties and do you need aftermarket parts to run shorties?

4. You had to pay ridiculous amounts of money for some basic tuning on the Schumacher cars, unlike AE where many of these tuning options were available in the kit. What is Tamiya like?

5. Anything gripes about the car?

Thanks in advance, fellas. Its a really expensive buggy and I wanna be sure I'm not going to regret the decision. I'm really happy with my Schumacher SV2 and the AE B5 but the 201xmw is too sexy to pass.
I will answer your questions in order.
#1 the car needs nothing unless you want to add rear hexes and front hexes of your choice. Plastic quality seems to be about the same as all previous TRF201 cars and replacement parts.

#2 Fitment of the parts is always well with Tamiya TRF cars.

#3 The XMW is designed for saddle packs. You can probably run shorts in the car but might have to make new holes for the standoffs.

#4 You don't really need any tuning options on the XMW it comes with everything necessary unless you want a weighted bulkhead and optional spring kits etc.

#5 No gripes about the car its pretty much the same as the previous XM/XR car with different rear geometry.

Only thing is if you have any local parts support in your area incase you need something in a pinch.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bcooper

If your running a slipper eliminator... then why not try the 66T spur gear??...
On my XMW I use either the Schelle 88t 64p Nova when I use a slipper or I just use a 66T 48p or 88t 64p Spur with the eliminator... I can get all the way down to around 5.34 with the 64p combo before I have issues with the OEM spur cover or around 5.2 with the 48p gear combo... but most of the time I use around 5.5 with the motors I use on the two tracks that I go too which are both large layouts
Old 07-28-2014, 08:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by trx450racer174
Run a B4 gear cover.

You have to hog out one of the holes just a tad to make it work but it fits pretty well.

I can show you a pic from the one on my MM Super Stock car when I get a chance.
Good info about the gear cover, I've got a few leftovers I can experiment with, thanks!

Originally Posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
If your running a slipper eliminator... then why not try the 66T spur gear??...
On my XMW I use either the Schelle 88t 64p Nova when I use a slipper or I just use a 66T 48p or 88t 64p Spur with the eliminator... I can get all the way down to around 5.34 with the 64p combo before I have issues with the OEM spur cover or around 5.2 with the 48p gear combo... but most of the time I use around 5.5 with the motors I use on the two tracks that I go too which are both large layouts
Yep, I found the associated 66t this afternoon on Amain, have a couple enroute to try. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2014, 09:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Cool
Let us know what works out best for you
Old 07-29-2014, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

I am running a MM car so the gear cover fits slightly different than on the RM car.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:47 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by trx450racer174
I am running a MM car so the gear cover fits slightly different than on the RM car.
Thanks for the pictures, that helps!
Old 07-30-2014, 11:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I'm looking to buy TTRF201 XWM to run in SDRC. can any of you recommended any base setup and base option (like spring set, suspension mount etc). My son will running 17.5 first any may move up. Any spear part too?

Thanks
Ed
Old 07-31-2014, 02:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TamiyaW1688
I'm looking to buy TTRF201 XWM to run in SDRC. can any of you recommended any base setup and base option (like spring set, suspension mount etc). My son will running 17.5 first any may move up. Any spear part too?

Thanks
Ed
I'd get a couple of essential parts for the build...

- Red o-rings #42259 - kit black ones don't seal well
- Alloy servo horn - #42248 or #42249 - makes it a lot easier to set up the steering linkage as it is longer and can be adjusted to make sure the steering link clears the servo.

A couple of minor reliability improvements...

- Large diameter axle washer #54488 - removes a spacer from the rear axle so less parts to lose, you may not want it if you are going to do a hex conversion
- Serrated rear wheel nuts - #42282 is one option - much more secure than the flanged nuts the kit comes with
- If you plan on running old-style Associated wheels like I do then you will need the imperial front axles #54220
- If your track is often damp then I would consider building the car with rubber sealed bearings rather than the fibre-sealed bearings it comes with. The fibre sealed bearings are very free running but for dry conditions only.

Setup will be a personal thing, I expect the kit setup will be a good starting point, handy tuning parts would include...

- Big bore spring sets - #54506 2wd front/#54507 4wd front (harder)/#54508 Rear - kit setup uses springs that are similar to the black from the 2wd front and the blue from the rear.

- 1.6mm pistons #51539 - might be preferred over the 1.7mm pistons in the rear for big landings

- Weighted front bulkhead #54439 - useful tuning to get more front end and keep the weight down low

- Under lipo weights - #54591 - more weight down low to settle the car down if bumpy or high grip (you might not want to add weight in 17.5 though)

- a set of the blue aluminium spacers #53539 for fine tuning

Spares are personal too, I don't generally break much or carry many, usually on a 2wd buggy you might break the plastics on the 4 corners, the shock towers, wing mounts, suspension pins and shock shafts. Any of the carbon and alloy parts such as the chassis and rear shock tower will be hard to get hold of as Tamiya TRF cars are limited editions. If your son is at the "breaking stuff" stage of RC racing then I wouldn't advise getting a TRF, I'd advise getting a car where all the parts can be bought off the shelf locally.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the TRF gear cover is not build for 17.5 pinions and spurs so you will need to make some changes (see the post above for one person's solution).

Hope that helps.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Thanks sosidge.

I just order the kit with spring set and weight. and wait to see what other option/setup i need

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.