Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC8e..please help with gearing ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default RC8e..please help with gearing ?

Hello,

I practiced with my RC8e at MHOR in Denver this past weekend. The buggy was impressive. At 10.5 minutes the ESC did reach thermal shutdown. The motor was 160 degrees, but the esc was off the chain hot.

I am currently running the stock 46T spur gear with a Novak Pro ESC 6.5 set-up. I started with a 15T pinon and dropped to a 13T pinon. I did talked with an associated driver, and although he didn't have a ton of experience with 1/8 electric, he said that sometimes running a higher tooth pinon will smooth things out. There is nothing blocking the drivetrain and everything is flowing 100%, so no worries there.

Any advice would rock and would be awesome. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Novak hv stuff runs hot, the rc8e is a heavy car= bad combo. You will never get it to run cool. Not what you wanted to hear I know. My best advice would be to sell the novak and get a Hobbywig XErun 80a or 150a combo, or a Castle creations Mamba monster max combo. You will be much happier in the long run. I am running a Mamba esc and Medusa 2000kv motor, on 4s after a 15min main motor temps are 150, esc 100. I will be trying out the XErun 150a combo next week, hope to get even cooler motor temps.
If your stuck with the Novak, on 4s I would run a 10 or 11 tooth max pinion. A 13 pinion is way to big for that motor.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Tech Adept

Default Thanks...

Thanks for the advice man... it is definitely a heavy car...I'll try the 11t and see how it will go and will probably end up purchasing another combo. I truly didn't know about the novak running that hot... definitely should have checked into that... thanks again bro...
Old 03-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

I'm running a tekin rx8 1900kv combo in my rc8be with a 44t steel nitro spur and 18t pinion on 5s, temps are barley above ambient after 15min top speeds unknown but it's fast!!!
Old 03-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Only option with what you have, is gear down. That should take some stress off the esc, and maybe bring temps up a little on the motor.

@11t pinion is probably where it has to be, which is still over 30mph... good enough for racing. Might even have to drop it to 10t

Too bad Novak doesn't offer a 8.5 and 9.5 HV
Old 03-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Tech Adept

Default cool....

11t is on its way to the front door. I'll give it a try but in the future depending on how they run the 1/8 electric classes I will more than likely have to purchase a more durable combo.... I can't believe the handling of the rc8e... unbelievable!!!
Old 03-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I ran a 16T pinion with my 6.5HV in the RC8 my motor temps were in the 140's at the most, maybe your drivetrain is binding and creating heat? With a 11T pinion you may run really hot since it will top out too quick so the motor will be screaming the whole time.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:32 AM
Tech Adept

Default motor temp...

The motor is just fine... it is just the esc that is overheating. The drivetrain is definitely not binding. Thanks though... one guy did tell me that I might actually want to try a 16 or 17 and that it might actually smooth things out. I have an 11t on the way and a 17 and 18 on the way.... go figure. It is good to know that with the havoc that yours is definitely ok... does your esc stay cool as well as the motor?
Old 03-08-2010, 05:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Yes, my temps with the 16T pinion were 120 for the ESC and 140 for the motor, are you running a fan on the ESC? If the esc is running hot than you need to gear up and not down as it will only run hotter, the motors are funny as you have to find the sweet spot and it seemed that the 16T pinion is where the motor was happy.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Old 03-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by flybyuin2.2
Yes, my temps with the 16T pinion were 120 for the ESC and 140 for the motor, are you running a fan on the ESC? If the esc is running hot than you need to gear up and not down as it will only run hotter, the motors are funny as you have to find the sweet spot and it seemed that the 16T pinion is where the motor was happy.
You have that back wards, under geared = hot motor, cool esc. Over geared = cooler motor hotter esc. When the motor is over geared it needs more amps from the battery, more amps flowing through the esc and wires creates heat. when the motor is under geared it uses less amps and spins easier and faster, a freer faster spinning motor generates heat. If you remove the pinion from your motor and rev it up for a while you will see how fast it gets hot, manufactures do not recommend doing this just for that reason.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

Default solution

Fellas...

Ok found out a few things. We have an sponsored ae driver who helped out a little as well at MHOR in Denver.

The novak/6.5 combo's esc does tend to run hot with most 1/8 buggy set ups. We tried EVERY single pinion from 10t until 19t using a 46 tooth spur gear. The motor, regardless of ANY pinon we used, never reached above 155 degrees (with the heat sink). The esc, however failed at 7.5 minutes with the 10t pinon and slowly reached its thermal overload at longer ranges the higher pinon that was used. When we used the 17t pinon it failed at 12 minutes. With a 16t pinon it failed at 11 min. 10 seconds... and then with the 18 and 19 it was below 11 minutes... so we found a sweet spot with the 16 and 17.

This was on a very technical clay track (1/10 track). After this we then tried the same setup with a 50t spur gear, and the esc then failed at 14.5 minutes with the 17t pinon.

The same setup was used on an outdoor 1/8 scale set up and there were no temp issues at all with the esc or motor. The buggy ran until the lipo cutoff and the motor temp was 141 and esc was 167... so good news there.

All in all I am somewhat dissapointed with the havoc system.

We have one losi sponsored driver and his losi combo runs at around 160 for the motor and esc at MHOR... we have another caster racing driver using the tekin combo (not sure the kv) and he to my knowledge has no heat problems.
On top of this, today I ran with another guy who had an rc8e and he had the EXACT same combo (novak hv pro 6.5) and his esc was overheating at only 6-7 minutes!!!

So to everyone out there.... the havoc combos can work on a loose, dirt, 1/8 scale tracks... however if you are racing on a technical clay track with 10 minute plus mains I do advise another combo.

Hope this helps...

jim
Old 03-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Tech Addict

Hey Jim, its Mike from MHORR today with the RC8. Have you ever had a capacitor go on you? Not sure if you remember, but my car was running about 15-30 seconds at the end of the day and then it would suddenly stop... for about 5 seconds then it would work again. Jess didnt know either!
Old 03-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Tech Adept

Default novak

bro if you go to the novak website you can see the capacitor # and order one from novak.... even in the latest tower catalog you it states the capacitor part # on the novak page. As far as that being the problem it definitely is a possibility.... especially with such a short run time.

Bro if you are going on saturday let me know man we will be up there to race. I would love to run an 1/8 class. I am not sure if the capacitor will work from my novak gtb will work with the havpro but you can use it man if you want to.

take care man your car handles great we just need to get these esc combo's straight lol.

jim