Looking for a good 4WD electric buggy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for a good 4WD electric buggy

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Making a business decision based on distribution and alignments with other companies doesn't mean they make a bad product. I still think their 4wd is good.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by edseb
Making a business decision based on distribution and alignments with other companies doesn't mean they make a bad product. I still think their 4wd is good.
It's not good business, it's like Pepsi buying KFC, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut, they will NEVER get any major chain to carry their soda. As for my personal preference to Losi, the truck I had was EXCELLENT, at first. The parts wore out so fast that I could not get it to tune back to the way it was out of the box without spending the same amount of cash that I did to buy the thing. The Associated truck I got after that was equally good and has yet to wear out after MORE use than the Losi. Most of the people I talk to are in the same mindset, Losi is good if you can afford the upkeep. (Minus the few acceptions to the rule) Even dedicated Losi drivers say that their product is on the fragile side. But of course, this is my PERSONAL preferance.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

If you don't get the Losi, which is a very fast and capable car, get a Tamiya. I run losi off road. No plans on trading in the TC3...
Old 04-09-2004, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Tamiya 4WD buggy?
Old 04-09-2004, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

"It's not good business, it's like Pepsi buying KFC, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut, they will NEVER get any major chain to carry their soda."

I disagree. It seems to be working for them. They're one of the top RC companies. I've always been a fan of cars like Yokomo, AE, but I can't deny the XXXS G+ is an amazing TC and its simple desing works weel with less parts.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

whoooaaa, thisis not what i had in mind. my lhs does not do business with horizon, therefore does not get the wholesale discount, and therefore caries very few parts for losi. however there is something fundamentaly wrong with a distributorship owning a car company. can you spell monopoly?
Old 04-09-2004, 08:21 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by tallyrc
can you spell monopoly?
Hmmm, (insert sadistic smile) my point, only written in less words, I have GOT to learn how to do that!! LOL
Old 04-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Tech Elite

Alas, fewer words has never been my forte.

The Losi XXX-4 probably has more parts available at more stores in the USA than any other make or model. It also is true that 4WD breaks more parts than any other 1/10th off-road class. I think it's simply because they go faster and are more complex. But maybe that's what makes them more fun!!

The LHSs around here carry very few parts for Yoke & Schumacher off-road cars. I think they're good reliable cars and could be competative with the right drivers, but all the fast guys in the USA run Losi.

The BJ 4X4 and the TCO-3 are off-road conversions of the TC-3. I'm really glad they're here, or about to be here, because I think that's great for the class (Ford vs Chevy at last). However, I also think Losi has proven that you can't hang long suspension arms on an on-road car and have it work right. The simple fact is that the XX-4, a purpose-built off-roader, easily out-handles the XXX-4 on any course.

That brings me to the X - 5. It converts the XX-4 to single-belt drive like the XXX-4, giving it the same monster acceleration as the XXX-4 with the supurb handling of the XX-4. The hand-built prototypes we've raced to date have been very fast. So far, my LHS, Hobby Stop West in Toledo, Ohio, has had in stock every XX-4 part we've needed to build 4 complete cars from scratch. We have not bought an intact XX-4, only parts from Hobby Stop West.

In the last week we've learned that we will be ready to ship complete klits in less than 90 days, a full two months earlier than we had expected at first. As far as we know, parts are readilly available. If that becomes a problem, we'll deal with it then. Check out the X - 5 at www.4wdrc.com. That site will also have coverage of the Losi Race.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Thumbs up Info from BJ4 Post

If your serious about racing in the 4WD Class and want an Amazing shaft driven Off-Roader, here then is the info on the Thread I started months ago. Below I will also include a link to the thread if you want to read some more! Best of luck with your decision and let us know your choice!

It has just been confirmed that the BJ4X4 (B4/TC3 Hybrid) seen at this year's Off-Road IFMAR World's will be going into production in the near future! This concept 4x4 Off-Roader was completed only 2 weeks before the World's plus it was seeing it's first ever competetive race at the biggest of ALL Off-Road events! It placed 13th overall which quite simply is..... Astonishing!!! It Bested many Losi XXX-4 Grpahite+ cars, Yokomo MR-4 BC Specials, and even a small fleet of it's distant cousin the Durango!

Here in detail from David Joor (Owner & Administrator of RC10B4.com) is a more accurate description of this Amazing news which at the very least will spark more interest and rivalry over the entire 4x4 Off Road Class!

DAVID JOOR- "Ok, here is an update that everyone has probably been waiting to read. This car is for sure being slanted for development by Jason and Brad. The intention of the car is to be fully racer oriented, being threaded shocks, titanium, and so forth. The car will be a full kit, so you don't have to buy a TC3 and so forth. Now the most important concern on peoples minds is cost. Obviously with a couple of guys putting together a kit, they don't have the resources to make molds to cut down on costs. So the car will cost more than say the Losi but not even close to the price of the Durango. The production price benchmark is set to be below $500. They plan to also have a full working website where you will be able to purchase all the parts needed that are not offered by AE and probably even those parts as well. Soon enough hobbyshops will take on the parts as well so there are no worries about not getting the parts you may need.

This is some exciting stuff and their seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel. I will keep up the info as I get it.

Did I mention this just got on Team Orion news? Thanks Orion for the support, they know this is an important development taking place."

Many Thanks To DAVID JOOR For This FANTASTIC News!!!

Here is a Link directly to the Orion news posting for a bit more Info on it plus also where a link to David's site can be found for some cool pics and lively discussions:

http://www.teamorion.com/global/global_news.asp?id=2075

YOU KNOW YOU WANT ONE!!!

BJ4 RC-TECH Thread:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...0&pagenumber=1

Last edited by STEALTH; 04-10-2004 at 05:21 AM.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:35 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

From what I understood the X-5 was a conversion that you paid $169 for, not a complete Kit.

If this is the case and you guys plan to release complete kits, how much are you looking to charge for a complete X-5 kit and what will the parts be like ( stock style parts or will there be some GP+ style parts like titanium and graphite? )

I think my main reason that the XX-4 conversion worries me is that parts may become an issue unless the X-5 guys are going to start molding there own parts. The XX-4 has been dicontinued for awhile now, is there that much of an inventory out there on the scale of say the XXX-4? If so great!

The BJ4x4 is going to be a full kit, not a conversion. But it will probably cost $500 dollars. As I said before, I think that will still make it along the lines of the Durango, too expensive for the average racer to justify adding it to there lineup. Will the car be great, I would be suprised if it wasn't from what I have seen so far.

The TC3-O looks pretty good too. But I think for the price they charge for the conversion and you still have to do some milling on your own is a bit much as well. I think companies should include everything you need to make a complete kit if you have the base kit, I think the TC3-0 doesn't come with everything you need, you still need to pickup a few things. I believe they could really have something if they would just make a kit like the BJ4x4 and sell it that way.

4wd could be interesting this year, but we need some companies to find that sweet price point and get some advertising out there. Also a class that was more newbie friendly would be great. Most places seem just to run mod for buggy. Maybe a 19T spec class would be the answer?
Old 04-12-2004, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Academy review:
http://www.rc-car.com/detail.asp?id=228
Old 04-12-2004, 04:41 PM
Tech Legend

Basically a press release. I hope someone like Car Action does a shootout comparison of the crop of 4wd buggies for this summer. I think this really could be the year for the return of the 4wd buggy.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

http://www.rcracechat.com/vb/showthr...0&page=1&pp=15

This might help. It's a discussion going on over in the UK about the SB Sport. Seems to be doing ok.

Something else to add I guess.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:04 AM
Tech Legend

Thanks for the post.

The academy has peaked my interest as the performance to price point seems to be right on.

I think I may just post over there to get an idea of what parts I can get here are compatible with the Academy buggy.

As for the X-5, I like the concept, but I need a response if they will be releasing full race kits or will this just be another bolt on conversion.