Help with a couple of issues (LONG)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with a couple of issues (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Default Help with a couple of issues (LONG)

Hey all. I have a couple things I want to bouce off of everyone.

First, there is a kid (about 12 years old) that races in spec SCT. His method for passing is to drive through the rear end of whoever is in front of him in a corner, spin them out or flip them and keep going. I have raced with him on two seperate occasions now and this has been consistant both times. Would it be appropriate to say something to him or his dad or the race director or ....? How should we go about teaching new drivers, especially kids, to be good racers? Or should I just be aware of how he drives and not say anything? On the plus side this probably helped my driving as I had to learn where I could pass him and get far enough ahead by the corner to not get wrecked by him. The first time I raced against him he finished one place ahead of me. The second time I adjusted and finished almost two laps ahead of him.

Second, what do you do about the 'jerk' at the track? I raced Satruday night and there was one guy that was just a jerk about everything. I raced spec SCT in the race following him in 4x4 SCT. I still use the stock radio and I had to change my crystal because of a frequency overlap in my heat. I checked the race schedule and there was no one on the previous race that was listed on my frequency and the marker for my frequency was not taken off of the board when I went to the driver's stand. When the race ended and drivers started leaving the driver's stand I powered up my radio and took my position. All of a sudden the jerk starts yelling at me that I should not turn on my radio until the previous racers are done and that I had wrecked him on his final lap. He is just fuming and going off until I asked him what frequency he was on and he said he didn't know. I told him that I checked both the race sheet and frequency board to make sure I wasn't conflicting with anyone and he just stormed off. It turned out it was one of the other drivers in my heat that was on the same frequency as the jerk and caused the problem. The same jerk was in my mod SCT race. Every time he wrecked he yelled at the marshalls as if it were their fault and they weren't going fast enough. This continued through all three qualifiers. What if anything do you do with people like this?

I still had a good time and pretty much ignored him, but had not come across anyone else like this in my few months of racing.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

For the kid:
DEFINITELY tell the RD. If you are a regular there and consistently paying for race fees and parts you are spending more $$$ than the 12 year old. The track owner/RD would be foolish not to curtail that kind of behavior to keep you and others happy.

For the asshole, I have my own personal methods of dealing with people like that which are generally confrontational. I get a kick out of antagonizing people with ridiculous attitudes. But there are better approaches. Good luck!
Old 02-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I love SC trucks, but because of the influx of new drivers, I plan on sticking to my B4 and my T4 LOL
Old 02-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

For your first problem with the kid, for sure let the race director know whats happening. That type of thing comes as no surprise to me in the spec slash class. Its been almost 2 years since the slash's release and I havnt been to 1 race or track that makes people with a slash run in a novice class to start if they are just starting out. Every track ive been to lets you run in spec whether youve been racing 15yrs or 15 minutes, and that isnt right. New guys should cut their teeth in a novice class first, to gain control and learn how to race. Then you got guys with some experience who take the "its ok to fender rub" with these things a little too far. Then newer races see this as ok and do it themselves. ITs a tricky situtation but you have got to have a RD that sets the expectations in the drivers meeting.

As for the a$$hole always yelling. There will always be one of those. We all just make fun of them. If its affecting you let the RD know.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:04 AM
KPitta

It's the race director's job to take care of hacking. Talk to him, and if that doesn't work talk to the kid's dad.

As for the a-hole, been there done that. You have 4 options:

1. Talk to the race director and ask him to get the guy under control.

2. Ignore him.

3. Race somewhere else.

4. Confront the guy.

Depends on your personality I guess which option you chose. Personally I probably would have thrown his ass off of the drivers stand when it first happened, but that's just me and my bad temper.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:29 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JMYBFFT
Hey all. I have a couple things I want to bouce off of everyone.

First, there is a kid (about 12 years old) that races in spec SCT. His method for passing is to drive through the rear end of whoever is in front of him in a corner, spin them out or flip them and keep going. I have raced with him on two seperate occasions now and this has been consistant both times. Would it be appropriate to say something to him or his dad or the race director or ....? How should we go about teaching new drivers, especially kids, to be good racers? Or should I just be aware of how he drives and not say anything? On the plus side this probably helped my driving as I had to learn where I could pass him and get far enough ahead by the corner to not get wrecked by him. The first time I raced against him he finished one place ahead of me. The second time I adjusted and finished almost two laps ahead of him.

Second, what do you do about the 'jerk' at the track? I raced Satruday night and there was one guy that was just a jerk about everything. I raced spec SCT in the race following him in 4x4 SCT. I still use the stock radio and I had to change my crystal because of a frequency overlap in my heat. I checked the race schedule and there was no one on the previous race that was listed on my frequency and the marker for my frequency was not taken off of the board when I went to the driver's stand. When the race ended and drivers started leaving the driver's stand I powered up my radio and took my position. All of a sudden the jerk starts yelling at me that I should not turn on my radio until the previous racers are done and that I had wrecked him on his final lap. He is just fuming and going off until I asked him what frequency he was on and he said he didn't know. I told him that I checked both the race sheet and frequency board to make sure I wasn't conflicting with anyone and he just stormed off. It turned out it was one of the other drivers in my heat that was on the same frequency as the jerk and caused the problem. The same jerk was in my mod SCT race. Every time he wrecked he yelled at the marshalls as if it were their fault and they weren't going fast enough. This continued through all three qualifiers. What if anything do you do with people like this?

I still had a good time and pretty much ignored him, but had not come across anyone else like this in my few months of racing.
Great post. These are fairly common issues at most tracks.

For the 12 year old kid, I would take him aside and tell in him a respectful manner. The problem you get is when it's adults driving that way. At my last race at WCRC I had a similar experience with a guy there. He ran through me 3 times over the course of the race. I wont confront other adults unless I know them. Instead I opt to do the same to them when I get near them.

For the A-hole, for which there are many in this hobby, I'll say something to them. If it's during a race, the directory should be taking care of these guys.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the replies.

I don't mind racing against less experienced drivers as long as they are trying to get better and learn to race correctly and any inadvertant hacks I can deal with. In the case of the kid, or any new driver, I am concerned about him not only learning bad habits but thinking this is the way to drive. I know one guy who is ready to get out of off-road because he feels like there is less and less etiquette.

In places where they have novice or beginner classes do they give the drivers any instruction or just lump them together until they learn to control their vehicles? What is required to move up from novice?
Old 02-22-2010, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

As for the kid, I'd tell his dad, so they can tell the kid in a way that he won't be upset ( heck, I have a kid locally who from time to time congratz me on my driving, and we're in differant classes), and as for the prick, there is many ways, but it all comes down to who you are, I'd intenshionally get the same chrystal that he does once you upgrade to 2.4, and make his car screw up on purpose but you have 2.4 so he can't do it back
Old 02-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Not much etiquette in the slash classes. Expecting it will only cause frustration. Spec and stock classes are mostly noobs with noob skills, hacking will always be the norm. If you want cleaner racing you guys should move to more prestigeous classes As for the kid, I'd explain some etiquette to him in a nice manner. If he continues to hack, send him over the pipes a few times, he will figure it out. The jerk at the track, well, he should consider another class if he wants to take racing so serious, and I'd make sure he heard my opinion on the matter.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

I may have to defend the noob a little bit.This may not be true but maybe in their perspective the are doing what the see the rest of the class doing.In the sc class even the expierinced drivers do some bumping and grinding.Not I know its not on the same level but maybe these kids think that is the way they are driving as well.They see the drivers up there laughing as one friend boots another,not knowing that is not supposed to be done all ove the track or when racing gets serious.Maybe just give the kid some perspective and he wont run into ya.On a side notw, when I started racing as a young kid I had to pay for my parts and racing fees with lawn mowing,shoveling money.Maybe they should get on that program too.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ridley
Not much etiquette in the slash classes. Expecting it will only cause frustration. Spec and stock classes are mostly noobs with noob skills, hacking will always be the norm.

In the spec slash a-main most of the drivers drive with some etiquette, but one or two seem to sneak in that don't. The b-main tends to be a demolition derby. Mod SCT is typically a little better racing throughout.

If you want cleaner racing you guys should move to more prestigeous classes

I just got a b4 and will finish up the electronics this week

As for the kid, I'd explain some etiquette to him in a nice manner. If he continues to hack, send him over the pipes a few times, he will figure it out.

I'll give it a go and see what I can accomplish.

The jerk at the track, well, he should consider another class if he wants to take racing so serious, and I'd make sure he heard my opinion on the matter.

The other night was the first time I had seen him, but also the first time I have raced on a Saturday. With any luck he is not a regular and won't be around often.
How did all of you learn etiquette? Is it mainly from experience, did you have someone helping you along or....? For me it has mainly been from watching the faster drivers, particularly the buggy guys. I actually like having some contact in the SCT class like bumping going into a turn to jockey for position, but I enjoy the racing aspect the most. The feeling of setting someone up and then making a nice pass is great.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Tech Adept

2 words BRAKE CHECK!!!!!!!!! haha

NAh, speak to the kid and dad at the same time casually. Offer some tips, make a new friend

For the toolbox... Some people forget we dont get paid for this on a club level and this is a hobby we do with TOYS. If you cannot have fun, just dont come.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

That kid is 12 he should know better than not to ram someone to pass them. Hell my 8 year old knows that and I didn't have to tell him... Talk to him and if you get any lip take it as that. You could go tattle to his father but chances are this is where he learned it. Just stay clear of him on the track.

If someones an a-hole at the track, ignore them. Sure it would be fun to go punch the guy out and break his radial socket and watch his eye flop out but we all know that is a no no.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JMYBFFT
How did all of you learn etiquette? Is it mainly from experience, did you have someone helping you along or....? For me it has mainly been from watching the faster drivers, particularly the buggy guys. I actually like having some contact in the SCT class like bumping going into a turn to jockey for position, but I enjoy the racing aspect the most. The feeling of setting someone up and then making a nice pass is great.
I started way back in the day racing carpet oval, and had several mentors back then. Etiquette was more pronounced with oval racing and I was taught to always race clean. Then I took that into a career of MX racing, and my etiquette wained a bit, lol. I'm now pretty danged aggressive on the rc track, but all the better drivers are. You can't wait around to pass when you are at a big race, a couple seconds in the difference between the a and c mains...so you have to learn to pass quickly. I think thats why I like SCT's, cause you can grind in like you do in motocross, and still do it without taking yourself and the other guy out of the race.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

hard on the brake well short of the braking zone....guarunteed yardsale for tailgaters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.