Community
Wiki Posts
Search

slash 4x4 PE running hot!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Default slash 4x4 PE running hot!

I have a slash 4x4 PE that seems to run WAY TO HOT!!! It is getting close to 200* on motor and 160* on ESC i have tried everything from 13t pinion and 50t spur to 23t pinion and 50t spur for gearing. It has no binding in the drivetrain, i have checked all the bearings(and even replaced them just to rule out bad bearings), I have also installed a fan on the ESC and TWO fans with heat sink on the motor for a total of 3 fans. Running on 3s with all different combos i have been aible to make less than 10* change in temp acoss a run time of 10 min. With outside temp of 35*F running on the concrete street in front of my house i only get 8-10 min run times till the thing is at these hot temp and wants to go into thermo shut down! I contacted Traxxas there answer was for $45 i could send the ESC and motor back to them. Wait 2-3weaks and mabe that would fix it. Is that realy the best answer? I just got this thing! It doesnt have 2 hours of run time on it! I was wondering is there a motor with more torque out there i can run with my traxxas ESC? That could cure my dilemna. I was kinda thinking the 4x4 drivetrain is to much stress on the VXL with 3s. Im new to electic but have ran nitro for years so i dont know what the specs mean on these brushless motors. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Sorry for the long post! and THANKS!!!!
Old 02-10-2010, 03:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dann331
I have a slash 4x4 PE that seems to run WAY TO HOT!!! It is getting close to 200* on motor and 160* on ESC i have tried everything from 13t pinion and 50t spur to 23t pinion and 50t spur for gearing. It has no binding in the drivetrain, i have checked all the bearings(and even replaced them just to rule out bad bearings), I have also installed a fan on the ESC and TWO fans with heat sink on the motor for a total of 3 fans. Running on 3s with all different combos i have been aible to make less than 10* change in temp acoss a run time of 10 min. With outside temp of 35*F running on the concrete street in front of my house i only get 8-10 min run times till the thing is at these hot temp and wants to go into thermo shut down! I contacted Traxxas there answer was for $45 i could send the ESC and motor back to them. Wait 2-3weaks and mabe that would fix it. Is that realy the best answer? I just got this thing! It doesnt have 2 hours of run time on it! I was wondering is there a motor with more torque out there i can run with my traxxas ESC? That could cure my dilemna. I was kinda thinking the 4x4 drivetrain is to much stress on the VXL with 3s. Im new to electic but have ran nitro for years so i dont know what the specs mean on these brushless motors. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Sorry for the long post! and THANKS!!!!
200 deg. is way too hot. I'm running the stock setup, on 2S, and it has never gotten more than 130. Try running it on 2S and see if it still heats up. Also check the battery.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

I agree-200 is way too hot! I've run 3s in my Slash and it literally cooks (but it does literally "fly"-heh heh heh) 2s must be the way to go just as blade329 says. I have a VLX-ESC that needs to go to Traxxas but $45 bucks is $45 bucks and having to wait 3-4 weeks, well...
Old 02-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just got my pe running today. Got 4500 3s turnigys and the motor does get hot but love the power. Gonna try a 10t pinion (it's waaayyy tooo fast for me anyway) and see what happens.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Tech Rookie

I dont have any 2s all i have is 2 5000mah 3s 30c batteries. I will go to local hobby shop tomarrow and get a 10t pinion and see how it works, but it is starting to get to the point of gearing so low that it is almost like driving a old slow brushed car!
Old 02-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Tech Regular

200 is way to hot..The glue in the motor may start breaking loose if you keep running that temp (been there myself). Gear down or go to 2cell.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default gear mesh

check you gear mesh it might be too tight. If its defective traxxas should fix it if you have a receipt and the traxxas plugs are still on it.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've read that in order to use a 10T or 9T pinion it requires some modding in order to mesh properly, can anyone confirm and explain what needs to be done?
Old 02-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Originally Posted by ebaypaypal
I've read that in order to use a 10T or 9T pinion it requires some modding in order to mesh properly, can anyone confirm and explain what needs to be done?
I've never gone that low but I'd guess you would need to dremel the slot the motor mount screws to be longer.