Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
what short course truck should i go with? >

what short course truck should i go with?

what short course truck should i go with?

Old 02-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I can't believe someone above wrote that the Slash is junk!? Totally totally false! If you read here, and also if you ask around, 99.9% will tell you that the slash is the most durable out of all of them. Look on youtube for the video of the dude that fished his out of a frozen lake, and then drove it off the ice. There's another guy that takes his Slash out of the box, and drove it into a pool, then drove it back out- they're pretty bullet-proof!

I think they are all good trucks (Associated SC10, HPI Blitz, Losi Strike, Traxxas Slash) If I were you, I'd think about how much racing is gonna be a factor. There are VERY active Traxxas Slash-only (box-stock trucks only) racing classes where I am. This is a great way to get into cost-controlled racing. If you are gonna do mod racing, and you're prepared to spend $$$$ on a brushless system, lipos, and hop-ups, then maybe you want to consider the Blitz or the SC10.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 377 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zachfeen
Does everyone forget about the strike??? Its a competitive truck out of the box, has a few nitpicking issues, but any rtr does. Stock with only minor suspension tuning I kept up with brushless sc10's. Now going brushless and I think I will easily be able to kill the sc10's and especially the slashes. I have not raced against a blitz but it looks very promising as well.
you drive a strike? were do you race?
Old 02-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yes and we have a local track that is built on "borrowed" land and I race at a track in marysville washington. I will obviously have to run a mod class now but I generally race for fun down at our local track. No timing systems just racing against each other.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 377 (100%+)

I too run a strike on long island , compete against all of the obove. I am new to off road but I have made it my goal to do well with it. Best finish I ever got was third in the B main at a trophy race...but like I said I'm working on it. also waiting for better parts to be released by losi....who knows good luck.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Tech Adept

heres the deal guys,it is a traxxas slash(short course truck) type class and u can run all the trucks you have been talking about.now hears the deal u can have up to a 17.5 motor(brushless),25c lipo,and a roar approved esc,now can somebody give me a good combo of these 3 at a good price and where to get them at.i am a nitro guy(dont hold that agianst me) and getting a little confused.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

In reality, any truck is going to be a good choice. I would choose a HPI blitz from amain for 190. From there there are numerous brushless setups in the low to mid hundred dollar range. The blitz is a good mix of speed and durability.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Rookie

my dad has a slash and i have an sc 10 i am in love with both cars never broken a part on my sc 10 but broke a caster block on my dads slash because i slammed into a pole. both trucks are phenomable i am very impressed.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Tech Adept

ok going with the sc 10 now what about the combo i talked about--brushless 17.5, 25c lipo and the roar approved esc.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RDOUBLEDAY
Idkk how you break a chassis?
The front end is a weak design. R.P.M. made a front brace to correct the issue. But it adds more weight and looks like crap. Just my two cents though.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Tech Rookie

I have an HPI Blitz (in black and silver). I got it just after Christmas. I've been very happy with it. Out of the box, it's very fast and handles well. I've found that reducing the steering endpoints has helped a lot with steering control.

So far, nothing has broken, but the original ESC was shutting down when it got hot without even finishing a battery. HPI sent me a replacement and there have been no further problems.

The simple radio HPI ships with the Blitz isn't bad, but I've upgraded to my 2.4GHz system. The battery hold-down system is nice. I'll be adding some Lexan shields around certain areas of the chassis to reduce the amount of dirt and debris that comes in after a run. I imagine most short course trucks experience the same problem.

I really like the Maxxis tires and the shock absorbing design of the front and rear bumper systems. I painted my rims black (like the Associated trucks) because I prefer the look. I think HPI should offer a black-rimmed option.

I'd definitely recommend a Blitz as a good option among short course trucks.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

You made a good choice with the sc10. Cheap lipo batteries have been working for me pretty well. The cheapest of cheap are on eBay

I don't think would go wrong buying any esc and motor combo if you ae goin to run a 17.5 as they do not draw much and hurt esc on accident. If you are looking to use it for a while, look into mamba or tekin stuf
Old 02-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Tech Regular

Don't forget about the new Venom truck that is waterproof an comes with CVD's, beadlocks, and 2.4 radio for $199
Old 02-10-2010, 08:52 AM
Tech Addict

I got my SC10 back in May as a kit. I had to do a few mods to it just to make it race worthy in my eyes. Rpm front arms,chassis brace,rear toe conversion.
Since I bought it as a kit I had to buy the Slash's electronics to stay in the stock class.
With that said... almost an extra 200 bucks to do so with the mods.

The Slash is a top notch truck for 200 buck. Now they have the Proline Suspension kit that really helps the truck out on the track,being more stable from what I could see.

The Blitz really pushed the stock limits with its CVD's,threaded shocks & full metal geared tranny...just to mention a few of its stock equipment. Good truck & tunable.

The Strike didnt have a good rep from where Im at. Everybody that had gotten one has gotten rid of it & went Blitz or SC10. The Strike Struckout

As far as the other trucks coming out I have yet to see any to give you any input on them.

I race two classes Stock & Mod
Stock is with the Traxxas servo & Speedo with the Hpi(Blitz) motor....far the fastest of the 3. Break in the motor in a cup of water(3mins) & you gain an extra 3 to 4 grand in rpm,remember to clean it out with motor spray & lube the bushing when done.

Mod I use a Tekin Rs with a ballistis 10.5.. Im happy with this speedo...had a GTB & the difference is nite and day.

I hope this helps ya out...Race on & have fun
Old 02-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Tech Addict

ok here is my 2 cents
the strike is ok but it sucks when it comes to staying together i used to own one i got hit twice in the front and both times the front left shock broke off completely so now i own a slash and its strong as hell but at the track i race at it(indoor carpet oval and road course) is mainly made up of slash's and we also have acouple of sc10 and blitz's the sc10 and blitzs in my opinion corner sick as hell but the slash's race just as well or better some times thats my opinion and then u can do any upgrades that u want or that the local track u r going to race at will allow
Old 02-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Tech Regular

Serious Racing = SC10
Serious Racing and Occasionally Non Extreme Bashing = Blitz
Slash Only (One Make Race) Racing and Extreme Bashing = Slash

I have both Blitz and Slash and I am also a nitro guy previously.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.