Wiki Posts
Search

Restoring an Optima Mid SE

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Restoring an Optima Mid SE

Picked it up off of ebay a few days ago and went to work yesterday. The threadlock was a bit tricky to remove from the fiberglass upper deck but I was able to get it off without damaging anything. I was able to seal the small foam dust shields for the lower belt cover and the rubber dust shield for the upper belt cover. There are a couple broken parts that I'll have to replace, the biggest being the wing mount which is integrated into the rear gearbox. For now it has been reattached with CA for display purposes but as soon as I find one it will be replaced (I'll probably have to pick up a donor car). A lower shock eyelet on a front shock was broken, this part is also near impossible to find so I ordered a nice set of used shocks off of ebay today (they were pretty proud of them!). I also ordered a replacement body, wing, and decal set (reproductions) and I'll spray them to match the box art.

Overall condition was very good, I'm betting the car was broken soon after assembly and it was shelved. This made for a really nice find. He had the original box, the manuals for the car, radio, charger, and electronic speed control. Tires are in great shape!

Last edited by madweazl; 02-06-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Very nice! Good luck on getting everything you need for your rebuild.Looks like a real nice start.Love the vintage stuff.Keep it up.Im sure you have heard of it but over on Rc10takk.com they have tons of good info on the throwback stuff.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by madweazl
Picked it up off of ebay a few days ago and went to work yesterday. The threadlock was a bit tricky to remove from the fiberglass upper deck but I was able to get it off without damaging anything. I was able to seal the small foam dust shields for the lower belt cover and the rubber dust shield for the upper belt cover. There are a couple broken parts that I'll have to replace, the biggest being the wing mount which is integrated into the rear gearbox. For now it has been reattached with CA for display purposes but as soon as I find one it will be replaced (I'll probably have to pick up a donor car). A lower shock eyelet on a front shock was broken, this part is also near impossible to find so I ordered a nice set of used shocks off of ebay today (they were pretty proud of them!). I also ordered a replacement body, wing, and decal set (reproductions) and I'll spray them to match the box art.

Overall condition was very good, I'm betting the car was broken soon after assembly and it was shelved. This made for a really nice find. He had the original box, the manuals for the car, radio, charger, and electronic speed control. Tires are in great shape!

Cool man....I just picked one up off ebay last week as well. I plan to race mine though...lol
Old 02-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Wow, nice!

Love the Futaba 112B (right?) ESC and the charger...I had both of those items when I was racing my RC10.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I love the "TURBO" on the box. That word just makes anything better.

Traxxas is still doing stuff like that today with MPH claims.

Very cool car though, good luck with the build and post some pics when it is finished.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hoodala
I love the "TURBO" on the box. That word just makes anything better.

Traxxas is still doing stuff like that today with MPH claims.

Very cool car though, good luck with the build and post some pics when it is finished.
"Turbo" corresponded to 7 cells vice 6.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Great stuff. I'm only just getting back into the hobby after a near 20 year hiatus, and just won a Turbo Optima Mid SE (gotta love that name! ) on the Bay. Pics to come later.

Really enjoyed your restoration pics - I wish I had your skills and patience.

I lusted after one of these so bad as a kid - can't wait to get it going!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Nice.. I'm currently looking for and picking up parts to restore my Turbo Ultima. I've been lucky to find some parts lots and donors on E-bay.. One of these days, I'll post some pics of its current condition.. Mine has seen a lot more action than yours
Old 11-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

I forgot all about this thread. Here is a pic after it was completed. Ended up with almost new parts throughout the build and sold it shortly after I was done. A year and a half later, I tracked it down and bought it back (couple days ago).

Old 11-13-2011, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by madweazl
I forgot all about this thread. Here is a pic after it was completed. Ended up with almost new parts throughout the build and sold it shortly after I was done. A year and a half later, I tracked it down and bought it back (couple days ago).
Looks really awesome. Don't let it go again!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

here is mine with lots of custom and modern parts.

also i really like your SE, it looks just like in the magazines.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Just picked this up does anyone know what it is ...its a chain driven 4wd...i think ayk radiant but i checked and its not
Attached Thumbnails Restoring an Optima Mid SE-rc1.jpg   Restoring an Optima Mid SE-rc2.jpg   Restoring an Optima Mid SE-rc3.jpg   Restoring an Optima Mid SE-rc4.jpg  
Old 01-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by scteggy
Just picked this up does anyone know what it is ...its a chain driven 4wd...i think ayk radiant but i checked and its not
Sure looks like a Radiant. I've heard about an Optima clone but cant recall the manufacturer now. I'm pretty sure it had a gold chassis.

Edit: Baja Growler
Old 01-19-2012, 07:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 157 (100%+)

Madweazl nailed it.

That's the Baja Growler. It was similar design to the Optima but not a carbon copy. The other "common" clone is the Great Vigor Beagle which was basically a carbon copy of the Optima.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Thanks for the info guys!