Wiki Posts
Search

thunder tech short course

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 05:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Questions?? thunder tech short course

Does anyone here have 1 of these? I just picked one up with alot of extra stuff and was kinda of curios of what you are running for a motor spur/pinion etc..
Old 02-05-2010, 07:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

I hope you didn't pay full price

I had one and you have to be careful what kind of power you put through the transmission as there is no slipper clutch. Grab the metal gears and you should be ok with a mild brushless setup. I also wouldn't run soft lipo packs. The battery holders are a bit sharp on the edges and the battery itself is exposed.

I also thought the truck looked better with the body off

If they were cheaper, I would get another.

Last edited by Beadlock; 02-05-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Tech Addict

how about 205 shipped with 2 bodies 2 set of tires and radio gear..So where do you get replacement parts from?like the rear end parts? there is nothing on the thundertech website.... Plan on running this in a stock class (which is 17t brushless) or stock short-course motors brushed ..I alreadt fitted the battery box with foam on the sides for my lipos so they do not bang around, and I'am going to be running hard packs..I will be posting some pics today..I also do not like the shocks, with be swapping those out to sc10's
Old 02-05-2010, 07:44 AM
Tech Adept

That's a good price I think you will have a hard time keeping up with the other trucks but let me know how it goes. If you are racing, the metal transmission gears are a must.

You have to call Darren at ThunderTech to order your parts.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:04 AM
Tech Addict

I'am going to give it a try what the heck..By the looks of it ,putting a slipper clutch on this should not be that hard..I found alot of Hop-ups for the CR01 chassis from Integy which this truck uses.. which is a plus...

I will get pics of mine up shortly
Old 02-06-2010, 08:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

that is the only downfall is parts availibity. Looks cool for sure. Wasn't Thunder Tiger a branch from Associated.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

thunder tiger owns team associated - this vehicle is made by thunder tech - a company known for making clod buster chassis and upgrade parts. this truck actually was the one that juiced the whole "short course craze", being announced and then production didn't start for over 2 years. when other companies saw how much people wanted the new truck, they started working on their own, and traxxas was first to the punch with the slash. if darren and brad would have kept a tight lip rather than letting the cat out of the bag, they could be raking in the bucks right now.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:29 AM
Tech Addict

here is my thunder tech

it came with 2 extra bodies(new) and an extra set of tires aand radio gear etc.. so I could not pass up the price...even if it is not a good contender I still can say I raced it against the big boys...It never hurts to try.. I ordered up a bunch of spurs gears/pinions from tower.. so will will go from there.. cannot wait to see what it does..
Old 02-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Tech Adept

Let me know if you come up with a slipper setup that works. Others have tried and gave up. I know the shaft on the TT is smaller than normal so a slipper from say Axial won't just drop in.

Why they never designed it with a slipper to begin with is beyond me

Also, the only parts from the CR-01 is the rear axle and shocks.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Nice looking truck, that is what an SC truck should look like.

And, I also believe TT was the company that started the SC craze.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by carcrusher46
if darren and brad would have kept a tight lip rather than letting the cat out of the bag, they could be raking in the bucks right now.
They could still have made money if the product was actually priced right and had the proper features (ie: slipper clutch and lexan body)

Their prototype truck was much nicer than the production one. It used a lexan body and the wheelbase was shorter, which looked much better. Aluminium links and shocks also were supposed to be used.

This is what people were pre paying for....turned out to be a different truck
Old 02-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 264 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Beadlock
That's a good price I think you will have a hard time keeping up with the other trucks but let me know how it goes. If you are racing, the metal transmission gears are a must.

You have to call Darren at ThunderTech to order your parts.
My buddy bought and tested a pre production truck before they were out....the thing broke all the time and getting parts from Darren was next to impossible...he would not even call him back.Good luck with that thing.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

92vert is right. I tested a prototype for Darren and it handled like crap. He made all the changes to the production version I suggested except the slipper. The production version doesn't handle much better than the prototype, it flips onto it's side easily compared to the other SC Trucks. The Thunder Tech Truck is considered to be a true 1/10 scale, that's why it doesn't handle as good as the other SC Trucks. The prototype used Associated shocks and metal suspension links. The wheelbase was widened and lengthened, battery was lowered, front bulkhead design was changed, rear swaybar relocated, metal braces for rear axle added, different driveshaft, etc. were the changes made to the production version. Basically Traxxas stole this from Darren, but it also took him 2 years to get it in production. Good luck with it man!
Old 02-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Tech Addict

I'am going to give it a go..I noticed the front arms on this are traxxas(but are from RPM)I plan on upgrading the shocks to Sc10's or the integy ones for the Cr01's http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...40&p_catid=138 and also going to try the HPI wheels also..
Old 05-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Tech Adept

Hey all, thought about picking one up from ebay but since it doesn't have a slipper what kind of slipper can fit in it and could someone get me a link on it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.