Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Anyone tried Castle's new Field Link? >

Anyone tried Castle's new Field Link?

Anyone tried Castle's new Field Link?

Old 01-30-2010, 03:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Anyone tried Castle's new Field Link?

It says you can program most settings from the field w/o a computer and its only $30...

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...k.html#driving
Old 01-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Tech Regular

If there is a PC at the track, I'll use that, but I use the stick/manual method and it work fine.

The card does seem to allow for finer tuning (as opposed to 25%, 50%, 75%) by 10% increments. At least that's what it looks like. I don't know this, just guessing.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Yeah, got mine Tuesday! Took a few min getting the hang of it, but now I won't go out to run without it.

The setting that are in percentages - it varries on the card - drag brake is 0, 10, 20, 30, 40 or 100%. Brake Strength and Punch are set 0, 20, 40, 60, 80, 100%. There's nothing inbetween, these are hard wired choices.

The card or 'Field Link' as Castle calls it is so cool. Whip shell off, pull esc wire from rcvr, plug into card, flip switch on, program!
Old 01-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Tech Addict

Ohhhhh yea that sounds nice!
Old 01-30-2010, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

I'm still sold to track side PC programming, but Castle made a great move for people who don't have that option! Great move for them and the users!
Old 01-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

I have one coming in the mail , i think its great for going out and bashing , now i can mess with my settings without having to take a laptop with me everyplace. There is a lil more fine tuning via the computer but for on the go this should do the trick , i just wish castle would have made it a little nicer like the ezrun programming cards that are all backlit and digital but hey its better then nothing and i stand by castle's products and usually always use there esc's and motors. Iv had many different esc's and motors but i always go back to castle in the long run...
Old 01-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I think you'll be satisfied with what they did. Its clean, its nice and its easy to use.

Don't forget the field link will replace the Castle link if you don't have one. It comes with cable so you can hook it up with your PC and take care of any fine tuning you want to.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Woah, When did this come out? This is perfect. you don't know how many times I get to the track and realized I forgot to Turn on or off LVC.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:42 AM
Tech Addict

Na, if i'm going to spend another $30 on tuning without a computer I'll just buy (and did) the Tekin RX8 ESC. All in one faster and censored.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

My field link is a small windows netbook with castle link. Works much better than any card or push button menu. Adjustable throttle and brake curves are IMO a must. Castle link has these.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:06 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

looks like a great alternative but I also use a netbook via castle link. Plus it gives me something to do in between rounds of racing Name:  ohyeah.gif
Views: 1997
Size:  1.4 KB
Old 01-31-2010, 04:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
My field link is a small windows netbook with castle link. Works much better than any card or push button menu. Adjustable throttle and brake curves are IMO a must. Castle link has these.
Cost a little more than $30 too lol.. And the field link will fit into your tool box with ease! I have never adjusted throttle or brake curve with the MM.. punch control and brake strength are definately enough for me
Old 01-31-2010, 05:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by *BBB*
Cost a little more than $30 too lol.. And the field link will fit into your tool box with ease! I have never adjusted throttle or brake curve with the MM.. punch control and brake strength are definately enough for me
Very true, but if you already have a netbook the link is only like $20-30. The MMM comes with a castle link, the MMP comes with a coupon for a free link and the MM uses a direct usb port. Sidewinder you would have to buy it. The software is a free download from the website. So really if you already have a netbook or a laptop you don't mind taking to the track, it doesn't cost any more, in fact in most cases it would cost less.

But the link card is certainly a nice product. If you're happy with the adjustments it provides, it will get the job done.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I find the Field link a bit disappointing. It's a simple design which cannot be updated with new features when they become available.

Hobbywing's professional programmer makes a lot more sense. Hardware-wise, it's pretty basic - an LCD with a few buttons. But the big differentiator is it's software updateable. New features could be added by the manufacturer without purchasing an entirely new unit.

I was a bit surprised Castle didn't go down this route. They have an excellent history of software updates for their products and a programmable Castle Field would have been a perfect addition to their Caste Link ecosystem.

Additionally, a form factor like the Hobbywing programmer would have kept the unit portable but would allow for an unlimited number of settings to be accessed.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

I hated taking a laptop or even a netbook to the track or out bashing with me , i would have to worry about it when i wasnt around , it would get dirty and plus its just another thing to carry around with me . This castle feild programming card i can throw right in my pocket or tool box. I never really mess with the throttle or break curves much anyway so to do it at home on the computer isnt much of a problem . but like i said in my previous post i def. wish they woulda put a lil more time into this and made it digital and backlit like the ezruns and hobby wings and also being able to update the firmware woulda been a great idea also. ohwell its simple and basic and helps allot so whatever . I only paid $25 on towerhobbies for it anyway...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.