R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default need pro and cons-switching to brushless from nitro

Okay guys, I've been running nitro for the last two years and I'm about had it to HERE with them. To be fair my tuning skills are more to blame than the engines. I'm considering converting one of my buggies to brushless. I need to know the pros and cons from people who have actually converted to brushles from nitro. Take the "Nitro ROCKS" and "ELECTRIC SUKS" general comments to another forum. I'm trying to keep the content useful. Thanks for your input.
El Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Tech Master

Location: Naperville, Illinois- on to Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana Racetracks!
Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tigre View Post
Okay guys, I've been running nitro for the last two years and I'm about had it to HERE with them. To be fair my tuning skills are more to blame than the engines. I'm considering converting one of my buggies to brushless. I need to know the pros and cons from people who have actually converted to brushles from nitro. Take the "Nitro ROCKS" and "ELECTRIC SUKS" general comments to another forum. I'm trying to keep the content useful. Thanks for your input.
Cleaner, Faster, Easier to Tune, Cheaper..... Seriously, there is NO downside....

~Showtime Racing~ *DD Racing*
~Racin since 1988~ <Long Live Radio Active Raceways!>
Slick Bodies by Todd's War Paint (http://www.toddswarpaint.com/)
Showtime Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime Racing View Post
Cleaner, Faster, Easier to Tune, Cheaper..... Seriously, there is NO downside....
What about runtime? I need to finish a 30 min main on a single battery. 30 sec to do a battery swap is a no-go
Old 01-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Isn't there a mandatory battery change ? If not there should be or everyone will be forced to go electric . At this weekends race at loganville a guy running elec. buggy made it until the last lap in sportsman buggy . It was 20 mins. If you do convert you can donate your nitro engines to me , i don't mind . LOL
romax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tigre View Post
What about runtime? I need to finish a 30 min main on a single battery. 30 sec to do a battery swap is a no-go
30 min is not going to happen unless unless you can find and want drive around a lipo the weight of a car battery.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by romax View Post
Isn't there a mandatory battery change ? If not there should be or everyone will be forced to go electric . At this weekends race at loganville a guy running elec. buggy made it until the last lap in sportsman buggy . It was 20 mins. If you do convert you can donate your nitro engines to me , i don't mind . LOL
I was there. I turn marshalled that race and that dude was friggin haulin assz. I actually looked under his lid and he had TWO batteries taped together. It amazed me how fast he was going considering how HEAVY his buggy was. I don't know about mandatory battery swaps, at VRP they do mandatory PIT stops, it's on you whether you want to switch out batteries during the stop.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Him & i actually had to bump from the b-main where we battled for first & second . I may have given him a run for his money but on the start he actually accidently hit me & knocked my pipe off the engine & by the time my pitman fixed it i was 4 laps down . I still finished 7 th so not too bad for the luck i had.
romax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
Tech Regular

I'm trying to maximize my enjoyment at the races. I'm seeing the electric guys drop their cars on the ground with no pit guy and leisurely walk up to the drivers stand. I don't get into the black art of tuning engines like some of the more skilled nitro tuners do. I just want to race as hassle free as possible. I heard good things about the Werks B5 so I got two of them and still need to break them in. I'm just examing my options.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
Tech Regular

My Maxamps 6500 4s will go 25 to 27 minutes at race pace. A 5250 6s Maxamps might make 30 minutes and only weighs slightly more than my 6500 4s. At my track they make elec bugs do two fake pits during the 20 minute main same as the nitro guys.
Back to your original question..... I've recently swapped from nitro to elec and never looked back. Cleaner, yes. Easier, not so IMO, just a different bunch of stuff to learn. Your initial investment is more with elec but not having to buy fuel, glow plugs etc, over time elec is cheaper. I also feel that a good brushless motor and esc like Tekin or Mamba have more tuning options than a nitro motor. I'm faster with elec because the delivery of power is consistant from beginning to end. Give it a try and decide for yourself, it's all fun nitro or elec.
KyJoe340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:49 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

To get 30 min on one battery is going to take some serious effort. What kind of track are you running on? Big open tracks with long straights are going to limit your runtime just like nitro. The other thing to think about is whether your track has any limit on lipo size. I've read that the roar rules for lipos are max 4S.

Getting really long runtimes like you want, you'd have to look at a 6S lipo setup. The higher the voltage, the more efficient the system wil generally be.

Brushless is pretty easy. The initial investment can be a bit daunting. The top end ESC's have heaps of adjustment options to make the car drive exactly the way you want it to. Give it a go, I'm sure you won't be dissapointed. I do however think you're going to struggle to get 30 mins on a single battery.
Rampokker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:08 PM   #11
Tech Regular

The majority on the mains run 20 min. We only occasionally run a 30 min main. I like to plan for the worst case scenario
Old 01-30-2010, 12:45 AM   #12
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

30 min main on 1/8e is possible. Most buggies allow for saddle style batts by flipping the motor around towards the front. Run a single 4S 5000 lipo on each side with a parallel connector giving you 10,000mah or time. That should be able to do a 30min without much hassle. If you can run bigger than 4S do it as someone said it will be more efficient.

I started in nitro too and compared to electric its horrible. All the things mentioned above are exactly right. I will quite R/C altogether before getting back to nitro full time.
Neu_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:52 AM   #13
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I switch from nitro to electric n has never look back. Like wat the guys here say it's faster, cleaner more consistence, can play at nite.

Doing a 20-30min run is possible but the lipo will get bloated very soon as it's stressed to the max.

I run 6s 5000 on my CRT truggy, race in a 40min main change batt in 20mins. Managed to get 3rd. But soon after the lipo starts to bloat( still usable)

I run a 4s 3300-5000 on my buggy can do 12-20mins.

But I dun race with nitro anymore we created a Ep class n it's 7-8mins main.

Less stress for the batts.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:47 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you run a low kv motor and increase the cell count, the system will run more efficient and in turn give you more run time.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:45 AM   #15
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Yes true but buggy has limited space for 6 cells.