Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Super Power SC10

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Super Power SC10

Hello all. Not wanting or being able to afford the Slash 4x4, I decided to be more competive with them by super powering my SC10.
I had already put a Mamba 5700 in it and with NIMH 7 cell pack it was real fast. I increased the ratio from the stock 87/18 gears to 87/15 gears.

Now I tried putting in a 3S LIPO pack with 5000 mah and 20c/30 discharge capability and left the gearing alone.

Unbelievable, sick fast, but before I got to solve the air problems; I stripped the spur gear.
It would actually flip at about 3/4 speed. Partially do to incredible torgue and partially due to the air under the body.

So now I pulled back the gearing to 87/18 again, and loosened the slipper clutch that was probably too tight. I'm hoping with that, my temps and gears will be good while still providing monster power.

Here is my question. Anyone know of steel spur gears that will take the power.

By the way I was running it on asphalt which is very unforgiving to the torque increase so I have my fingers crossed.

One other question, where can I get wheel adapters to go to hex drive wheels instead of those silly pinned wheels?

Jim
Old 01-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Anything you put on the truck will have the drive pin, no matter what.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

NOT TRUE

AKA makes some really nice 17mm adapters

You can use AE SC8 wheels and still run your choice of SC tires
Old 01-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Tech Initiate

I'm running the AKA adapters with their Crossbrace tires/wheels. The rear axle still relies on the pin to drive the adapter. Should be OK as it spreads the load out across the pin & axle better, have had no problems yet but only running 2S lipo so far with Novak XBR brushless.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thnk he was more concerned with the wheels being junk rather than the axle pin. I think everyone who has ever had a SC10 knows the stock AE wheels SUCK.

If you were to actually break that pin you have setup issues.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

reading on RCShortCourse, I believe you can use Nitro TC3 hexes over the pins, and then run a hex wheel. Research to be sure though.

If you know someone with an Academy vehicle, or just post the question in the Academy forum, the Academy Wheel hex may fit over the SC10 axle as when you remove the academy wheel hex from say the GV2 or GV2T, you can run AE style rear wheels on it.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by R-E-A-P-E-R-
Thnk he was more concerned with the wheels being junk rather than the axle pin. I think everyone who has ever had a SC10 knows the stock AE wheels SUCK.

If you were to actually break that pin you have setup issues.
If the Associated wheels are junk, can't even describe these egg-shaped JConcepts wheels

Have the stock SC10 wheels on now...what's wrong with them, other than people being unable to bolt their wheel on straight like they've been doing for decades on AE cars?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You can run TC3 hexes with Slash rear wheels or Blitz wheels but they will stick out a little more than normal.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Before I switched to the AKA adapters I ran the hexes from my TC4 sedan, they fit the SC10 rear axle/pin perfectly and I used some Proline Switch wheels/tires. Worked fine too.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

Just to stop you in your tracks...the Mamba 5700 is too much for an SC10. Anything more than a 10.5 is excessive. You will not be able to control the truck. If you are going through spur gears there is something else going wrong. I had a 5700 in one my T4s for fun and it was uncontrollable but I didn't have transmission issues or wheel stripping problems. I think that you are barking up the wrong tree. I raced Expert Short Course once with a Mamba Max 4600 and although I could blow by everybody on the straights....I still could not put the power down. You are over motored.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Tech Initiate

For sure the Mamba 5700 is way overkill for the SC10, I ran one in mine and it was out of control. Tore up wheels and sheared pins galore. I switched to a Novak XBR that I had kicking around which is quicker than stock but still very driveable. Haven't had a chance to really run it hard yet and see if it will hold up OK but I expect the wheel problems will disappear.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

i run the havac 8.5 and its a little to much power for the sc10. but i put the
T4 style rims from RPM and a set of proline bowtie's and that helped a bunch. there's nothing wrong with the pin axels i think you just need to work on learning how to adjust your slipper a little better. if you can do that you shouldn't have any prolems with the spur gear or pins.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Super Power SC10

Originally Posted by thrash_16
i run the havac 8.5 and its a little to much power for the sc10. but i put the
T4 style rims from RPM and a set of proline bowtie's and that helped a bunch. there's nothing wrong with the pin axels i think you just need to work on learning how to adjust your slipper a little better. if you can do that you shouldn't have any prolems with the spur gear or pins.

I did put proline wheels on it and they are much better, but I will go the adapter route which will be better. I did power this beast down by gearing it up 20% for that much less torque.

I also think you are right I did not have the slipper adjusted loose enough.

I am also going to reprogram the CC ESC punch start for an easier takeoff. As I said I was running it on Asphalt with no slippage, which is the worst for the gear train.

I appreciate all the help on the adapter nuts and the thoughts on the 5700 being too much power, but I still want to make it work and the changes I made above will be my first attempt.

I would also like to know if anyone makes stronger steel spur gears of good quality?

Thanks all.

Jim
Old 01-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by authorjim
I would also like to know if anyone makes stronger steel spur gears of good quality?

Thanks all.

Jim
If you need a steel spur gear at any power level in a 2wd electric, you're doing something wrong.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

yeah you just need to get your gear mesh dialed in a little better. what are you doing to make sure you have the right gear mesh????? sounds like your running them to tight which will make the metal pinion eat the plastic gear alive. and if you run them to loose it will start chiping teeth off. either way if you dont have it right it will ruin the spur gear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.